Its development is undertaken by the Fondation X.Org and it belongs to the effort of standardization of Freedesktop.org.
Its popularity is in constant evolution and it tends to replace XFree86 in the majority of the distributions linux.
History of the versions
The new major versions of X.Org leave every approximately six months (except for the versions X 11R 6.9 and X 11R 7.0).
The first version left on April 6th, 2004 under the name X 11R 6.7.0. She is based on XFree86 4.4RC2 right before the change of license. A good number of developers of XFree86 joined the project. Then the version X 11R 6.8 comes which adds the support of the transparency and the shade.
X 11R 6.9 and X 11R 7 leave simultaneously on December 21st, 2005. The two versions offer the same functionalities, but version 7.0 brings a modular system of compilation (with GNU Autotools). Among the innovations, let us quote the management of the “multisiège”, allowing to make function several complete work stations (keyboard, screen, mouse) on the same computer.
Version 7.1 arrives on May 22nd, 2006, 4 months after version 7.0 and integrates in particular AIGLX. From the release of this version, the branch 6.* is maintained only for updates of safety.
Version 7.3, left on September 6th, 2007, adds, amongst other things, the support of the Input hotplug , thus making it possible to occur in the majority from the cases from file from configuration.
The pilots owners pose obviously problems:
- the specifications of the charts are not available, thus it is impossible to develop free pilots quickly and effectively
- the development of the free pilots is done by gropings and sometimes retro-engineering, which is a waste of time and incredible resources which could be re-used on other projects
- the pilots owners are not redistribuables with the free distributions, is not integrated into the system, and requires an installation and a separate and specific configuration
- the installation of a simple graphic pilot owner makes lose all the benefit of an entirely free system
Order for X Window System (X11)
- New Xlib
- : pilot S free S for the graphics cards NVIDIA
- RadeonHD: pilot S free S for the graphics cards ATI
- Official site
|Random links:||Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs | Jerry McCain | Notre-Dame, Museum (tram of Grenoble) | Economica | La_Mer_du_Nord,_New_York|