See also: Colonist
William Anthony " Willie" Colón Román, born the April 25th 1950 in the Bronx, of Porto Rican origin , is, since the beginning of the Années 1960, a pioneer of the Salsa, at the same time musical director, type-setter, producer, Chanteur and trombonist.
It starts by studying the trumpet at the 12 years age then chooses the Trombone.
Willie Colón starts to take lessons of music and in parallel directs an orchestra of 14 musicians, the Latin Jazz All-Stars.
Its first occupational class includes/understands a section of two trombones, in homage to My Will rivet and Barry Rogers its idols.
In 1967, whereas it is only 17 years old, it signs with Fania and records its first album " El Malo". Its " compositions; Jazzy" and " I wish I Had has Watermelon" quickly become tubes.
It begins a profitable collaboration with Héctor Lavoe, singer of Porto Rican origin , with which it records 14 albums, until the medium of the Années 1970. Willie Colon will help to introduce extra-cuban influences into the Latin music and the Latin-jazz.
Its albums are appreciated for their pluri-cultural influences: children's songs of Africa, musics of the Brazil, Cuba, the the Caribbean or the Panama. Through its compositions which approach all the topics, of the Criminalité until the Politique, it develops the concept of Salsa committed.
During decade 70-80, it continues its musical experiments and it leaves the queens of its group successively with Héctor Lavoe then with Rubén Blades with which it makes team.
At the end of the Years 1970, it writes the symphonic first salsa for a Ballet televised.
At the same time it starts to collaborate with the singer Celia Cruz and it produces albums for Rubén Blades which will meet large a succès.
In 1981, it obtains a gold disc for its album " Fantasmas" also indicated like disc of the year. In 1982 it gains a Grammy Award for its disc " Canciones del Solar of los Aburridos" with Rubén Blades.
It turns to Europe for the first time and form a new orchestra while continuing to explore various musical universes: it records songs of Jacques Brel, Carole King and Mark Knopfler; play in Big band; produced albums of Soca and rates/rhythms Haiti ens and takes again compositions of Brazilian the Caetano Veloso while its own compositions more and more openly become engagées.
At the end of the Years 1980, it produces an album for Celia Cruz and Héctor Lavoe and obtains a hit with " Set the Fire to Me".
He also collaborates in very popular and discussed album of Latin music “The Pink Tattoo (Tatuaje.)” of David Byrne, the ex-leader of Talking Heads.
- El Malo (Colón: 1967)
- The Hustler (Colón: 1968)
- The Big Station-wagon - Gran Fuga (Colón: 1969)
- Guisando (Colón: 1969)
- Asalto Navideño (Colón: 1971)
- Cosa Nuestra (Colón: 1972)
- El Juicio (Colón: 1972)
- Lo Mato If No Compra Este LP (Colón: 1973)
- Asalto Navideño Flight II (Colón: 1973)
- The Good - The Bad - The Ugly (Colón: 1975)
- El Baquiné De Angelitos Negros (Colón: 1977)
- Metiendo Mano (Colón Blades Present: 1977)
- Only They Could Cuts Made This Album (Colón & Celia Cruz: 1977)
- Siembra (Blades & Colón: 1978)
- Solo (Colón: 1979)
- Doble Energia (Colón: 1980)
- Fantasmas (Colón: 1980)
- Canciones Del Solar De Los Aburridos (Blades & Colón: 1981)
- The Last Fight (Colón & Blades: 1982)
- Corazón Guerrero (Colón: 1982, Fania: Reprise S)
- Vigilant (Colón: 1983)
- Criollo (Colón: 1984)
- Tiempo Pa' Matar (Colón: 1984)
- Especial No 5 (Colón: 1986)
- The Winners (Celia Cruz & Colón: 1987)
- Violas Secretos (Signal Secrecies) (Colón: 1989)
- Illegal Alien (Colón: 1990)
- Color Americano (Colón: 1990)
- Honra there Cultura (Colón: 1991)
- Salsa' S Bad Servant boy (Colón: 1993)
- Hecho In Puerto Rico (Colón: 1993)
- Singers off the Cibao (Colón: 1994)
- Trass Tormenta (Blades & Colón: 1995)
- there Vuelve Otra Vez! (Colón: 1996)
- Demasiado Corazón (Colón: 1998)
- Semi Gan Amor (Colón: 1999)
- Guerrero de Corazon (Colón: 2000)
- Idolo (Colón: 2000)
- Official site (WillieColon.com)
|Random links:||Autainville | Blued lavandin | Double Fine Productions | Los Angeles D-Fenders | Karl Lachmann | Prospérer_d'Aquitaine|