After studies with Paris, he emigrates in Israel where he saw ten years in a Kibboutz. Of return in France in 1981, it chooses to make Photographie and works more than ten years as a Reporter Photographe for several agencies like Gamma (1972 - 1976) and Sygma (1976 - 1983). Then, it is devoted to the realization of Documentaires.
Since end of the year 80, William Karel carried out an impressive series of documentary Historiques and Politique S, approaching many burning subjects of the 20th century: Raid of Vel' d' Hiv' known as " Operation Printanier" Wind; carried out with White Finger with the Israeli-Arab Conflict, while passing by the policy of the the IMF in Jamaica or the history of the Extreme-right-hand side to France, its documentary is impossible to circumvent today on Arte and France 3. Specialist in slides in capacity, which one says that it constituted a solid address book, it drew up the portrait of a great number of politicians, of which Valery Giscard d'Estaing, François Mitterrand, Jean-Marie Le Pen, but also John F. Kennedy and George W. Bush on the other side of the Atlantic.
The study of the the United States constitutes a big part of its work. After the Men of the White House (2000), portrait of the presidents of the United States in crisis period, William Karel explores the secrecies of the CIA in documentary in three shutters, the CIA, secret Guerres (2003). Inspired by the books of Eric Laurent on George W. Bush, it carries out Le Monde according to Bush (2004), true indictment against the US president, which meets a great success at once: this film knows the honors of an exit in the French rooms in June 2004, the rumor even says that it would have been withdrawn in extremis of the official selection of Cannes to the profit of Fahrenheit 9/11 of Michael Moore.
William Karel, after thirty years with the service of the image and the report, with the reputation to be a Michael Moore serious. However, refusing to confine itself systematically with a traditional kind, he is also the author of Opération the Moon (2002), documentary Faux on the space Conquête, which interferes images files and false witnesses - a documentor . It enjoys to point out the words of François Truffaut, according to which documentary is thousand times more lying and manipulator that a Fiction, where the charts are put on table from the beginning.
More recently, William Karel was interested closely in the suicide of antiterrorist judge Gilles Boulouque with the Girl of the Judge (2005), starting from images of files and of the testimony of her daughter, Clémence Boulouque.
In 2006, it is attacked for the first time with the fiction, with Poison of April, very subjective chronicle of a drafting of television news confronted with the countryside " sécuritaire" French presidential election of 2002. This film, whose production touches at its end, is produced by Point Day for Arte and will be distributed to the cinema by Haut and Short. The televised diffusion took place on January 19th, 2007 takes precedence time of it over Arte. The coming out date cinema is more dubious, between January and April.
Catalog of films
- 1988 : De Gaulle? Do not know , Special correspondent, France 2.
- 1989 : Argentina in the crisis , Special correspondent, France 2.
- 1989 : Jews of the end of the world , Special correspondent, France 2.
- 1992 : the Raid of Vel-in Hiv , the Walk of the century, France 3.
- 1992 : both died of Joseph Stalin , hot Planet, France 3.
- 1993 : the War of Kippour , Burns of the History, France 3.
- 1993 : Sartre-Aron: 50 years of stories , Burns of the History, France 3.
- 1993 : John F. Kennedy , Burns of the History, France 3.
- 1994 : the IMF in Jamaica , Large size, Arte.
- 1994 : the Night of the Long Knives , Burns of the History, France 3.
- 1995 : One day particular: May 8th, 1945 , Burns of the History, France 3.
- 1995 : Albert Cohen (Co-realization with Glenio To cram), One Century of writers, France 3.
- 1995 : Against the lapse of memory (Co-realization with White Finger), Documents, France 2.
- 1996 : Primo Levi , One Century of writers, France 3.
- 1996 : To die in Verdun , Files of the History, France 3.
- 1996 : the Hood , Files of the History, France 3.
- 1997 : a ground twice promised: Israel-Palestine , Files of the History, France 3.
- 1999 : History an extreme line , Wednesdays of the History, Arte.
- 1999 : the Newspaper starts at twenty hours , the Life opposite, Arte.
- 2000 : Men of the White House , Wednesdays of the History, Arte.
- 2001 : Conversation with the men of the President , History.
- 2001 : François Mitterrand. A lie of State overlooked , France 3.
- 2002 : Valery Giscard d'Estaing, the theater of the capacity , Files of the History, France 3.
- 2002 : Operation the Moon , Wednesdays of the History, Arte.
- 2003 : the CIA, secret Wars - 1947-1977, clandestine Operations , Wednesdays of the History, Arte.
- 2003 : the CIA, secret Wars - 1977-1989, end of the illusions , Wednesdays of the History, Arte.
- 2003 : the CIA, secret Wars - 1989-2003, From one war to another , Wednesdays of the History, Arte.
- 2004 : Le Monde according to Bush .
- 2005 : the Girl of the Judge .
- 2006 : Poison of April , Arte.
|Random links:||Financial deontology | Murad IV | Noble guard | Centridini | Phil Giffin | 1743_au_Canada|