Warhammer 40,000 (Warhammer 40K, WH40K) is a universe of science fiction declining, violent and moyenâgeux particularly packed, creates by Games Workshop. The Univers of fiction developed initially for the set of figurines Warhammer 40,000 exceeds from now on the only framework of the play and extended on other supports.
Universe of Warhammer 40,000
IntroductionThe universe of Warhammer 40,000 is located in a future distance at the thousand-year-old 41e. Following a surface of cruelty and decline, humanity was federated by a man with the mythical and divine statute named Empereur of Humanity. This one would have allowed the foundation of a galactic empire called Imperium. But Imperium is threatened of all shares by quarrelsome extraterrestrial races, the heresy and the corrupting forces of Chaos. Imperium regency humanity under an at the same time theocratic and totalitarian mode, which maintains humanity in the obscurantism and ensures a devotion complete the worship of the Emperor.
WarpThe Warp is a dimension parallel with the material universe where the forces and the gods of Chaos sit. It is governed by laws different from those of the physical universe, space and time does not exist there in the same forms. The passage in Warp thus makes possible the voyages to supraluminic speeds. My these voyages are risky and random because the " courants" of Warp are incomprehensible, even with the navigators. Only Astronomican makes it possible humanity to sail in Warp. Moreover Warp is populated hostile creatures and forces.
Certain extraterrestrial civilizations make they also use of Warp with different means and uses.
See also: Warp (Warhammer 40,000)
See also: Imperium (Warhammer 40,000)
The Imperium is an empire which gathers and defends humanity against the extraterrestrial races and the chaotic powers which threaten it. It is directed by the Saint Emperor, being eternal which founded Imperium with the thousand-year-old 28e. Immobilized in the gold throne on Terra since the Heresy of Horus and the constitution of the high council of Terra, it is from now on only one psychic spirit which remains through Warp.les orders since are given by a council bringing together the twelve most powerful characters of Imperium: twelve High Lords of Terra. Senatorum Imperialis interprets the Imperial Judgment and communicates it to very whole humanity. In light, it is them which direct Imperium in the name of the Emperor. It is for example them which take the initiative of launching Crusades. Each High Lord represents an Order:
- Adeptus Mechanicus,
- Adeptus Administratum,
- Adeptus Arbites,
- Navis Obilite,
- Adeptus Astronomican,
- the adeptus Assassinorum,
- Adeptus Astra Telepathica,
The imperial Fleet
See also: imperial Fleet
To maintain the cohesion of its vast territory, Imperium maintains many fleets war, which face very diverse threats, like the Space Hulk. It is with the imperial Fleet also that one makes invites to transport an imperial army of a planet has another (contrary to Space navy which has their own fleet).
See also: imperial Guard (Warhammer 40,000)
The Imperial Garde is the military organization of Imperium which allows the survival of the human race, it gathers billion men originating in million in different planets. It has of heavy tanks and a powerful artillery.
The imperial Guard is present on almost all the worlds controlled by Impérium.
It achieves gigantic crusades ordered by inquisiteurs, ecclésiastes or imperial strategists to release from the whole solar systems, for that it gathers hundreds of thousands of men originating in tens of different worlds but never makes fight men of different origins in the same companies (the different tactical approaches, the different languages, etc the different drives would then make quickly lower the effectiveness). Each world has two kinds of combatants:
- the defense forces planet gear (FDP), in charge of the defense of their native world while waiting for the reinforcements which can sometimes take years (or be quite simply lost in the warp)
- the forces taken by the dime (a planetary tax in the form of soldiers, richnesses, etc), which will have to fight on remote worlds whose privates do not often even know the name.
The imperial Guard is very known for its armoured tanks and its mobile artillery. It is enough to ten Basilisks (mobile artillery) to shave a town of average scale in a few hours. Lemans Russ are frightening and general-purpose armoured tanks equipped with an armament with long range. An alternative called Démolisseur (armed with an howitzer and equipped with a blade bulldozer) car less far the standard but has a larger firepower. The imperial transport of troop is the Dream, it can transport 12 Guards. An alternative, Hellhound, does not transport any more men but of the promethium tanks feeding powerful a lance-flame of turret. The imperial walker (biped of combat) is the Sentinel, it is used for the recognition thanks to his speed but its weak shielding makes it unable to fight the tanks. An alternative, the Cadienne Sentinel, is equipped with a heavy shielding and a autocanon, and can face the armor-plated threats. The immense complexes of the forging mills of the planet Mars produce armoured tanks for the imperial Space Marines, Guards and the Enquiry. It is on this world that the forging mills assemble and design also the Titans, gigantic machines of wars humanoïdes controlled by human crews. March and the other worlds forging mills belongs to the Adeptus Mechanicus. The standard armament of the imperial guards is laser rifle. Their sergeants are mainly equipped with sword slicer and a laser gun.
Space Navy (or Adeptus Astartes)
See also: Space Marine (Warhammer 40,000)
The Space Navy , or warriors of the Astartes Legions, are the troops of elites of Imperium. They are supermen whose only function is to defend Imperium. They very few compared to the size of Imperium and are divided into approximately 1000 chapters which are armies of approximately 1000 navy, entirely autonomous on the traditions, the techniques, logistics,…
Marneus Calgar is the chief of the ultramarines.
The marine chapters space are:
- Blood Angels
- Dark Angels
- Black Templars
- Blood Ravens
- Space Wolves
- and more than one hundred of others…
See also: Adeptus Mechanicus
Based on the planet Mars, Adeptus Mechanicus holds, " jalousement" , all the technological knowledge of Imperium.
See also: Adeptus Arbites
Adeptus Arbites are the interplanetary police force of Imperium, persons in charge of maintains law and peace of the Emperor.
See also: Enquiry (Warhammer 40,000)
The Enquiry is a secret organization, charged to carry out surveys concerning of the potential threats, within Imperium. It tracks all the interior threats which are the Wizard, the Heretic and the Traitor and can requisition any imperial citizen, of humblest of the guards until most powerful of the governors. The Enquiry has to be able more after the emperor and his close relations.
See also: Eldar (Warhammer 40,000)
The Eldars are one of the oldest most developed races of the galaxy and one of, although dying.
Regarding the human ones as young, immature people and imbu of him even, the assistance of Impérium appears absurd to them and is only seldom the welcome, Eldars being a proud race. Their technology is ignored by imperial technaugures, because very advanced and is based on strange energies, such as the crystals as on their Prisme tank of Fire, and in particular of the frightening weapons being able to call upon the power of Warp.
They dedicate a worship with the Pantheon of gods who were destroyed by Slaanesh, the Prince of the Pleasures, God of Chaos. Among these gods, two survived annihilation: God mocker, who fled the carnage and saw still today and which chairs the worship of the Harlequins, and Khaine, God of the war, which being stronger than the others, did not die but broke in hundred pieces which became its misadventures.
The Eldar race is a race in process of extinction, following the birth of Slaanesh, whose native cry was of such an intensity that it was insupportable for the developed ultra directions of Eldars. Thus Eldars all were almost destroyed, their shaven civilization put aside the vessels worlds which have flees the not very front catastrophe, such as Alaitoc, Ulthwé, Biel-Tan, Saim-Hann or Iyanden, for most known. Their old worlds reside from now on in the Eye of the Terror, which appeared during the birth of Slaanesh.
The former people are now versed in the art of the war, and comprise in his largest rows psykers of the galaxy. The Eldars combatants separate in several types of warriors, the Warrior-Aspect, who are different the aspect from died given by their Khaine god. They can also count on their frightening anti-grav vehicles, like very elegant Falcons.
See also: Eldars Blacks
See also: Chaos (Warhammer)
The Chaos is basically related to space Warp. Sometimes, the energy which circulates there whirls, at the point to cause storms. Thus create for themselves the chaotic powers. Four of them are more powerful than the others, because they are able to handle the energy of Warp:
- Khorne is God of blood, incarnation of absolute violence.
- Nurgle is God of the forfeiture, the disease and the putrefaction.
- Slaanesh is God of perversion and the pleasures.
- Tzeentch is God of the conspiracy, of the plot and he is the Architect of the Change.
Space Navy of Chaos
See also: Space Navy of Chaos
The Space Marines of Chaos are old Space Marines imperial, corrupted by the chaotic powers. They rebelled against the false emperor during the Hérésie of Horus. Beaten they sought refuge in Warp, where they developed terrifying changes. Space Marines of Chaos are generally stronger than their former comrades thanks to their voyages in Warp and to the fact that they live for a good part since nearly 10000 years.
The most famous legions are:
- Emperor' S Children
- Iron Warriors
- Night Lords
- World Eaters
- Death Guard
- Thousand Sounds
- Black Legion
- Word Bearers
- Alpha Legion
See also: Orks
The Orks are most wild of the extraterrestrial races. Organized into small clans these monsters with the green skin do not live that for the battle and are delighted by the desolation which they sow. Their love of the war is such as they never hesitate to fight between them for the simple pleasure of the brawl.
It happens sometimes that a Ork lord emerges and links the tribes thanks to his visions of conquests. Pushed by this charismatic chief (and brutally persuasive…), Orks are put in the search of an enemy has to face whatever it is. As the invasion grows in importance, more and more of Orks join it, and it ends up becoming a powerful WAAAGH!!!
The WAAAGH are practically impossible to stop. Million assoifés warriors of violence falls down on a planet, drowning it under a flood of brutality to the skin verte.c' is by the means of such conquests that the orks were spread in all the galaxy, of its center to its borders. If ever this race were able to be linked, no force in all the galaxy would arrive has to resist to him.
To the battle, green bands of skin armed with primitive blades are thrown on the enemy while drawing in all directions. Others go to the combat on motor bikes, buggies or charriots of wars brinquebalants (these vehicles are manufactured containing récup ), their engines spitting of the oily clouds of smoke. Above this tide the gargants progress, of immense mechanical effigies of the gods orks (Gork and Mork), charged with missiles and weapons able to shave a city. When Orks leave in war, the whole galaxy trembles.
See also: Nécron
The Nécrons , populated a planet which was so near to its dangerous sun that them life expectancy exceeded hardly the 30 years. Jealous of the success of civilization of Old, they developed with their opposition a wild hatred. The discovery as of the EC Tan, interstellar entities of pure energy to which they offered material bodies, made it possible Nécron to take so much awaited revenge. The very whole race was offered to its new Masters, exchanging body mortals against eternal organic metal carapaces: Nécrons had been born. After having overcome their enemies of always during a long fight devastating all the galaxy, them It Tan survivors and their servants fell asleep in rooms of damning up on standby of times richer in hearts to harvest. Recently, first Nécrons awoke and began the massacres to satisfy the appetite without end of their gods and will stop only when all the galaxy becomes a heap of ruin.
The Empire Tau
See also: Tau (Warhammer 40,000)
The Tau , form a very young civilization (only 6 thousand years), having evolved/moved in a different way according to their medium. Their only common point is their skin gray blue, their intermediate size and their pace humanoïde. They do not destroy their enemies but rejoin them with them. They fight for the supreme good and try to found an empire based on values of abnegation, even if it means to reduce to nothing civilizations being opposed to their incorporation in the empire.
While Imperium collapses little by little, the Tau empire grows in power in the Eastern edges. Certain races form part of the empire now, such as Kroots, of the carnivorous mercenaries, and Vespides. The empire counts even the human ones which joined the supreme good when Imperium was withdrawn from the gulf of Damocles.
See also: Tyranide
The Tyranides are a race of xenomorphic resembling much the creatures which one sees in the film Alien.
The first contact with this race was established in 745.M41 by the inquisitor Kryptman who inquired into emptied planets of their biomass. It found a databloc on the dead planet Tyran giving a report on organic vessels approaching at a speed alarming towards the planet Macragge, planet mother of the chapter of the Ultramarines. It of followed a battle where the tyranides were pushed back at the price of many sacrifices. This victory is only temporary, because of many hives always travel in direction of the inhabited areas of the galaxy.
Most known Tyranide is Lictor. Lictor attacks always all alone but always under the order of Prince Tyranide the creature the most important synapse of the spirit of the hive. A legend says that one does not see it approaching and that one is made devour without same having time to see these eyes. The 2 most known Lictor are Red Terror and Leaping Death.
SquatsThe race of the Squats constituted at the time of the beginning of the set of figurines Warhammer 40,000 a futuristic parallel with the Dwarves of the homologous play Warhammer Fantasy Battle. But victim of a lack of interest on behalf of the players and Ranges Workshop, Squats were not renewed during the updating of the rules. Games Workshop went even until inventing a too simplistic easy way of scenario to be credible to explain their disappearance of the universe Warhammer 40,000: they would have purely and simply destroyed by a fleet-hive Tyranide emerged of it is not known where…
The Old onesOld called also old Urfolks or more usually the Slann. It is a race of humanoïdes Amphibians similar to the crapeaux ones, it is famous to be oldest of the galaxy. They are extremely advanced and intelligent beings, with a philosophical vision of the world and warp (They would have found a new truth spiritual which would have diverted them material conquest, and leads to the decline) and which developed an immense empire in Warp. It is the creator of many races as the krorks with the green skin (the descendants are the kroot and the orks), Jokaero, Rashan, K' nib (first eldars) and the human ones.
Their decline would be also due to their conflict against will necrons and by extension against the EC tan. According to some Old survived and it is installed on planet of warhammer battle, but according to sources more probable they would be in fact their servants, that with an aim of joining universes which do not have forcing of relations. It is in any case certain that the old ones are venerates commes gods by the race of the Men lizard in warhammer.
Here some names the Old ones in warhammer: Huanchi God Jaguar, Tzunki God of Water, Tlazcotl the impassive one, Tepoc the unsoundable one, Quetzel the protective god, Sotek the snake has two tails old having pushed back the Pestilen clan in Lustrie.
HrudsOne knows relatively few things about the hruds, described like a very old race of insects humanoïdes in Xenology . It is unplayable for the moment, and little information is available about it. Hruds are Noctures Warriors, equipped with large capes with hoods dissimulating their faces. This race carried out a great migration between 983.M41 and 985.M41, for unknown reasons.
It is mentioned this race in Warhammer 40,000 third edition, Inquisitor like in the magazine White Dwarf.
Chronology of Warhammer 40,000
See also: Chronology of Warhammer 40,000
Works composing the universe of fiction
Sets of figurines
- Warhammer 40,000 (1987): The play which is at the base of the universe of Warhammer 40,000.
- Epic (1988): A set of figurines of 6mm intended to represent the great battles of Warhammer 40,000.
- Space Fleet (1991): It is the first space war game of Ranges Workshop.
- Necromunda (1996): Necromunda is a play of skirmish in urban environment.
- Gorkamorka (1997): Following the example Necromunda, it is a play of skirmish, but which puts in scene groups of orks.
- Battlefleet Gothic (1999): Battlefleet Gothic is a play of space combat in two dimensions.
- Inquisitor (2001): Halfway with the roleplay, Inquisitor uses figurines of a scale of 54 mm, instead of the 28 mm usually used in the sets of figurines.
- Aeronautica Imperialis (2007): A play of aerial combat published by Forging mill World.
- Space Hulk (1989): Very inspired of the film Aliens, Space Hulk is a board game with success which describes the confrontation between aliens (genestealer, literally gene robber) and marines of the emperor.
- Space Crusade (1990): Space Crusade is a play in the universe of Warhammer 40,000 telling the combat between the forces of Chaos and the marines of space.
- Tyranid Attack (1992): Tyranid Attack is a play of discovered for two players. One playing the navy which advance section in section to destroy the vital bodies of the Tyranide vessel and the other the Tyranide player who plays the crew of the vessel in full alarm clock.
- Advanced Space Crusade (1990): Play left after success Space Crusade. , which wanted to be a version more advanced in its rules.
- Battle for Armageddon (1992): It is a wargame representing the second war of Armagedon between Orcs and Humains after that with Chaos.
- Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay (to be appeared in 2008 in English)
Card deck to collect
- Warhammer 40,000 (2001): Card deck to be collected in the universe of Warhammer 40,000 sold by Hexagonal.
Figurine S and modelsGames Workshop sell figurines with several scales of Warhammer 40,000.
- 28 mm: For Warhammer 40,000 , Space Hulk and Warhammer Fantasy Battle .
- 6 mm: For the systems Epic and Warmaster .
- space: For the systems of space simulation.
- 54 mm: For Inquisitor.
- 28 mm: For Warhammer 40,000 , and Warhammer Fantasy Battle .
- 6 mm: For the systems Epic , Aeronotica Imperialis and Warmaster .
- space: For the systems of space simulation.
- Space Crusade (1992): Play repenant the board game.
- Space Hulk (1993): Strategy game based on the board game éponyme.
- Space Hulk: Revenge off the Blood Angels (1995): New version of the preceding play.
- Final Release: Warhammer Epic 40,000 (1997): Play taking again the Epic system.
- Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Spoils (1998): Strategy game on Warhammer 40,000.
- Warhammer 40,000: Rites off War (1999): Strategy game on Warhammer 40,000.
- Fire Warrior (2003): FPS realized by THQ.
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn off War (2004): Play of strategy realized by Relic Entertainment.
- Dawn off War: Winter Assault (2005): A addon which introduces the Imperial Guard in playable race.
- Dawn off War: Dark Crusade (2006): A addon which introduces Nécrons and the Tau in playable race.
- Warhammer 40.000 : Squad Command (2007): Strategy game on Nintendo DS and PSP.
See also: Library Interdite#Romans Warhammer 40,000, Romance Warhammer 40,000
They are published in French by the Prohibited Bibliothèque.
ComicsBlack Library, subsidiary of the head office publishes Comics (in English) on the imaginary universe.
- White Dwarf: official Magazine treating universe of Warhammer 40,000.
InspirationsWorks which inspired the universe.
- Warhammer : Warhammer 40,000 Perhaps considered as a futuristic vision of Warhammer. In fact, the two universes are closely dependant, certain supplements as Realms off chaos are common to both worlds besides.
- Earth of the medium: The system of the races is directly inspired by medieval fantastic and thus by the ground of the medium, imagined by J.R.R Tolkien.
- Alien and Starship Troopers: The imaginary world Alien inspired the creation of Tyranides, which them same inspired with the imperial guard the film Starship Troopers. It is interesting to note that Starship Troopers is drawn from the novel Stars guards with you of Heinlein, which inspired the creation of the universes of 40,000.
- Terminator: The frankness terminator inspired Necrons.
- Star Wars: The armours Space Marines are inspirees of Storm Troopers of Star Wars and the Gas mask of Darth Vader.
- Mad max: Orks de Warhammer 40,000 have a lifestyle and vehicles close to what one can see in Mad max 2 (vehicles customized starting from various parts of recovery, Culte Speed, plundering mentality, primitive habitats in arid mediums…)
- human history: Le Monde de Warhammer 40,000 is clearly inspired by the Western Middle Ages of Europe: many references and parallels can be noted (Enquiry, Ordres of Monk-Warriors (Space Marines), Religious Schisme etc). Moreover, the human ones have an army which in spite of the projections in the space voyage, fight with an armament and an organization inspired at the same time by the Napoleonean Wars (Regiments and Formations fighting face to face on battle fields at the enormous prices of losses and not war " chirurgicale" or less losses is privileged), and the Second world war: Tanks and Regiments inspired of the Russian Army (Shock troops of Valhalla) and of the German Army.
Evolution of the universe of Warhammer 40,000
The Communities of players of Warhammer 40,000
- French Waaagh : Principal French-speaking Mailing list on Warhammer 40,000. It maintains an Internet site () and regularly organizes a weekend for the members called French Waaagh Day (often shortened FWD). A monthly contest of painting is organized, and the preceded figurines are posted on Internet site. As many communities Internet, the FW developed a very specific jargon and sometimes completely obscure, sometimes rejecting for the new registered voters.
- Zeliste 40k : Zelist 40k is a French-speaking mailing list where impassioned discuss the multiple aspects of the play Warhammer 40k: play, rules, tactics, history, model making, painting, etc Monthly, this virtual community organizes a contest of painting of figurines. Annually and the one weekend time, the members find themselves near Lyon at the time of an event baptized ZourZi. Zelist 40k also has a site (files here: ).
- Warmania : Warmania is a site general practitioner on the wargames all marks and all scales confused, with a predilection for Warhammer 40,000, Confrontation and Rag' Narok. The site comprises a series of articles on the most known universes of the hobby, of the tacticas, a repertory of the tournaments, an immense gallery of figurines and of course, a large forum where the whole of Wargames can be approached. Its section " modélisme" is a mine of information for all those which wish to improve in the painting and the sculpture of figurine. * Wh40kV2 : French-speaking mailing list on the play of figurine Warhammer 40,000 version 2 * THE CFW : The French-speaking Community of Wargame * Resurrection40k : Forums dedicated to Warhammer 40,000 * French W40K : Gate dedicated to Warhammer 40,000 and all the facets of the hobby (fluff, painting, model making, tacticas…) * VortexZone : Site and forum dedicated to Warhammer 40,000 * RogueTrader Group : French-speaking mailing list dedicated to RogueTrader, the first edition of the play Warhammer 40K * Sanctum Atorgael : Site dedicated to Warhammer 40,000. Propose original articles, news, a gallery. The site organizes a monthly contest of painting of figurines as well as challenges of writings (in relation to the universe 40K) * Obscurae : Forum on a narrative campaign putting in scene the Role-play, the parts and mixing all the plays of the universe of warhammer 40,000
ConventionThe Games Day is an official meeting of the fans of the universes of fiction of Games Workshop of which Warhammer 40,000. It is within the framework of the Day Ranges that the contest of painting of figurine of the Golden Demon is organized.
- Rick Priestley (1987), Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, Ranges Workshop, ISBN 1-869893-23-9
- Rick Priestley (1993), Warhammer 40,000 2nd edition, Ranges Workshop
- Rick Priestley (1998), Warhammer 40,000 Third Edition, Ranges Workshop, ISBN 1-84154-000-5.
- Rick Priestley and Andy Chambers (2004), Warhammer 40,000 Fourth Edition, Ranges Workshop, ISBN 1-84154-468-X.
- http://www.frenchw40k.com One of the French-speaking sites most complete on the matter
- http://lacfw.net/v2/index.php?page=fluff_40k a French-speaking presenting the world of Warhammer 40.000 in a clear way and detailed site
- http://www.warmania.com/ encyclopedia on the universe of Warhammer 40,000
- http://fr.lexicanum.com/ encyclopedia Warhammer 40,000 using the software wikimedia
- http://home.comcast.net/~exodite/sub_index.html (source on the contents of White Dwarf English)
|Random links:||Diphyllobothrium | Montsérié | Villers-Saint-Amand | Renee Bloch | Anna Ushenina | Talbot_gauche|