It is a Chef-lieu of canton.
- since the April 23rd 1978. An exchange between the young people of the town council of Waremme and that of Gérardmer is carried out since 1999. One year, the Waremmiens young people go there while the following year, it is the reverse.
- since the September 12th 1999
The city is located on the Geer in a loess like area, the Hesbaye (of which it is the capital), which supported agriculture (cereals and sugar beet) and the development of an agribusiness industry in the area. Agricultural surfaces still occupy 70 % of the surface. They are cultures as a large majority. The moors and wood represent less 1 %. It is also a commercial and school pole for the area (some: 5000 pupils permanently) also ensuring an administrative, cultural and sporting attraction.
The creation of the Natural reserve goes back to 1980. Its approximate surface is of 17 ha and the external and interior Digue S are long of more than 3 Kilomètre S. the reserve consists of five mud tanks of the rapery of Waremme, whose activities ceased today. It is a relatively isolated and quiet site.
The herbaceous vegetation does not miss there interest. It is made up mainly of species rudérales, messicoles and absorbent.
The basins draw the attention by their ornithological interest . They constitute, in Hesbaye dries, a wet small island favorable to the concentration of the birds and the varied Biotope S (mudholes, interstitial water, waste lands with short grasses, waste lands with high grasses, bushes…) attract good number of nicheurs whom one hardly finds in the area. Each year, in collaboration with the Royal Institute of the Natural science of Belgium , the members of the Reserve proceed to Baguage S. Those allow on the one hand to observe the migratory movements and on the other hand to inventory the winged small world which saw or forwards by Waremme.
The city is quoted for the first time in 965 ( Woromia ) and counted, towards 1215, 815 inhabitants. In 1078, the countess Ermengarde yields the Alleu to the Prince-bishop of Liege. The document announces that the village has a Château, five Moulin S and six Brasserie S. the fate of the locality is consequently related to the Principauté of Liege, until the disappearance of this one in 1794.
As of the 14th century, Waremme had Fortification S, forming a square of 400 side m, a Marché, a market and a Hôpital. Under the prince-bishop Thiébaut de Bar (1303-1316), one beats there currency and of many important meetings are held to with it. During this period, the city will be devastated by the war of Awans and Waroux.
At the 16th century, the city is one of twenty-and-a Bonnes Cities of the principality, a strengthened city and a fulcrum essential to the prince and from his geographical location, not far from the Duché of the Brabant, which was worth to him to be burned by the duke in 1213 and 1347, like by Charles Bold the in 1468.
In 1748, the city is destroyed by an accidental fire.
In 1815, the government makes city a chief town of district, but withdraws the title of city to him. Shortly after the Belgian Revolution of 1830, in 1838, the line of Railroad Liege-Brussels crosses the city.
During the First World War, Waremme is occupied by the Germans, but no military action proceeds there. During the Second world war, Waremme is taken by the Germans without combat on May 12th, 1940 by the 35.Panzer-Regiment of Wehrmacht, then released on September 7th 1944 by the 113th Cavalary Group (3rd Armored Division) of the army of the Bradley general, after a bombardment on August 28th by fighter-bombers P38 " Lightning" 479th Fighter Group of the 8th Air Force, bombardment which destroys about fifty houses to the downtown area and makes eleven dead and of many casualties among the civil population, which counted then close to 7 000 inhabitants.
Formerly, Waremme belonged to the Bonnes Cities of the Principauté of Liege.
Of money to the castle of money mouths open and openwork, to the roofs of azure surmounted by flags of azure.
This blazon, which dates from the time when the city belonged to the Principauté of Liege, means that Waremme was a strengthened city.
At the time current, it is obvious that it is not any more very representative of the town of Waremme, which does not have any remainder of these fortifications. However, one can find it on various buildings dating from the old principality, in particular on the post office building to Liege, but also on more recent buildings like the town hall of Waremme.
Characters emblematic related to the town of Waremme
The vicissitudes of the history did not save the architectural heritage of Waremme. There does not remain about it less one small number of buildings of character which constitute the memory of the small city hesbignonne.
The castle of Longchamps
the castle of Longchamps has the merit to be one of the rare residences of importance of the Premier time Worsens (1810) which existed in Belgium, in a time when in old the Pays of Liege, the Style Louis XVI continued his career. Fire the baron Maurice de Sélys-Longchamps, large art lover, had furnished this castle harmonizes some with the time of its construction. The rectangular main building imposes its horizontal lines. A peristyle, roofs hidden by a attic of thirteen regularly bored windows characterize it. A vast park preserved at this residence the charming testimony of its last size. Longchamps was built for Michel Laurent de Sélys (1759 - 1837), who was president of the new municipal administration of Liege in 1795, the year of the meeting of the Principauté of Liege to the France, and Maire in 1800, under the Consulat. Beautiful festivals were held to with it at time of the Empereur. Michel Laurent de Sélys Longchamps had married Marie Denise Gandolphe, born with Paris the March 19th 1777 and died with the castle of Longchamps under the Second Empire, the October 28th 1857. Marie Denise was girl of Mathieu Joseph Gandolphe and Denise Jacqueline d' Aran of Castans. She often resided at Paris under the Empire. It is it, which, in a group out of porcelain of France preserved at the castle of Longchamps, appears on the knees of his/her mother. One owes him probably the acquisition of another ceramics decorating this residence a copy out of terra cotta of the Borghèse hermaphrodite, carried out in Paris, year X and signed of Henri-Joseph Rutxhiel (Lierneux, 1775 Paris, 1837), sculptor of the Empire.
Inside, as of the Hall, the traditional lines are essential in the door frames out of gray marble, the triangular pediments, the bronzes engraved with the Greek lines. The big room to eat door of the decorations simulating of the marbles lemons, crowned of a plank in camaieu gray where play of the loves, mutineers and gracious, still raising of the style Louis XVI. A niche, where a Adonis in an advantageous posture shelters, supplements this whole of quality. We find a Empire furniture there: a console-service road, a pair of Credence S, two armchairs and chairs. In the living room, they are several parts of an excellent furniture, also first Empire, carried out in Paris and including/understanding eight chairs, eight armchairs and a couch. One of the types of the armchair with heads of the Egyptian points out the remarkable seats of Fontainebleau. A table-pedestal table Louis XVI calls upon another, estampillée Dubois of it. Let us mention finally wash-hand basin-Athenian with decoration, out of gilded wood.
On the floor, rooms are avoided of Palmette S, of Greek and of Colonnette S. One will see in Longchamps many other pieces of furniture, as well as Céramique S (particularly a beautiful whole of French porcelain parts of the first quarter of the 19th century), silverware and tables. The parts of part of a service, whose complement belongs to another Sélys branch, would come according to the tradition, of the service given by Napoleon i to the French general Loison, who lived the castle of Chockier under the Empire. The baron Michel de Sélys Longchamps takes care with happiness on the vast residence of the former mayor of Liege.
the oldest vestige is dissimulated at the bottom of a corridor of entry, with the n° 47 of the street H. Stiernet . It would be about the door of access of the brewery of old the Couvent of Récollets. This bay preserves a beautiful framing of Calcaire at Gothic mouluration , first half of the 16th century. Small a base with human head received in the beginning the repercussion of a Larmier. Also let us note a neck of , drainage on the right threshold.
the house located street Visigath n° 16 presents an interesting frontage of second half of the 18th century. From three Span S on two levels, it is bored bays in Calcaire, with lintels indented and key hemmed.
Of the end of the same century dates pretty the vault Saint-Éloi , with the angle of the street Saint-Éloi and the Romaine roadway. This elegant octagonal construction , out of bleached bricks and limestone, is lit by oval openings. Inside, the Retable of furnace bridge is raised rubbles.
In spite of the seniority of its name, the street Porte from Liege was partially seen renaming which occurred Leburton . With the n° 6 , elegant the house Lejeune-d' Anglure form the backdrop of a quite pretty small square. Central twin spool neo-classic, of five spans out of two levels, was built towards 1790, while the lower wings date from the 19th century. Let us notice the rectangular windows underlined by a typically neo-classic Corniche profiled. In front of the house, the tree of Freedom is sometimes called tree of Independence. This worthy lime was planted the September 22nd 1797 to commemorate the introduction of the French Republic.
an interesting house of the beginning of the 19th century is drawn up in the vicinity, with the n° 29 of the avenue Leburton . The frontage of this beautiful neo-classic residence, out of bricks and limestone, is particularly neat. Of five spans out of two levels and half, it is rythmée by Pilastre S with partitions. The rectangular bays comprise busy keys decorated with Triglyphe S. the Soubassement in beautiful limestone apparatus is bored oval days.
the 19th century also equipped Waremme with several monuments worthy of interest. The vault of Saint-Saver-and-Donat, street of Tumulus , also called vault Fleussu , date of the middle of the century. An anecdote is attached to it. Doctor Jean-François Xavier Fleussu, surprised by a violent one storm, made the wish raise a vault at this place, if it left there healthy and except. With its death, it was buried in the vault raised by its care. Its tomb is seen always inside. The vault, equipped with a beautiful neo-classic limestone frontage of style, is unfortunately in a pitiful state.
In the street J. Wauters draws up the buildings of old the Institut of the girls of the Cross , founded in 1866. The neo-gothic vault, fortunately preserved, brings a welcome picturesque note to the center of the city. The brick walls are stressed by pilasters in Tuffeau and are underlined of a plank of arches under the cornice.
we still with two monuments Stop which accentuate the urban aspect of Waremme. The church Saint-Pierre is a vast neo-gothic building, high of 1879 with 1881 on plans of Eugene Halkin father. Inside, the attention goes especially on the Pietà Polychrome of the 15th century and on the Gothic baptismal font mainly was unfortunately sacrificed. Let us note in the passing the old tombstones which paper the Porche.
The sport in the town of Waremme is in constant progression. Many clubs climb more than they have not descended the respective levels from the hierarchy of their sport and this for a few years already. Waremme does not gather in addition less than one forty sports associations. The majority of the clubs occur in the sporting Center and cultural Edmond-Leburton, located at approximately 600 meters of the downtown area.
The RS Waremme FC is the sporting main actor of the city. Born in 1922 and carrying number 190, this club plays at Edmond-Leburton stage and evolves/moves in 1ère provincial inhabitant of Li2ege (season 2007-2008). After 9 days and a quite thin 15th place (on 16) the trainer Gino Ludovico was dismissed with the profit of Vincent Delhalle.
Football in room
The Cosmo Waremme evolves/moves in 2nd provincial inhabitant of Li2ege this season 2007-2008.
VBC Waremme is the sporting club most famous of the city by its performances. Evolving/moving in 1ère national division (the second division in importance behind the division of Honor), this club fills with each home match the steps of the Hall Omnisport Edmond-Leburton. He knew an evolution fulgurating since the year 2003 thanks to Vincent Perin, his president, and Thierry Courtois, former player of division of Honor, which was its captain until the season 2005-2006. For this season 2007-2008, Luc Gijbels will be always with the bar of the team. Many transfers were carried out and the objective of the club will be to play the first parts in championship. After 7 days and a statute of unconquered, Waremme occupies the head of the championship.
The ABC Waremme and its school of young people is a healthy and convivial club. Its team first evolves/moves in 1ère provincial inhabitant of Li2ege, that is to say the best division reached by this one since her creation. She is involved for this season 2007-2008 per Alain Dierckx. The teams of the club play Hall omnisport Edmond-Leburton.
Two clubs, the Tennis Club Waremmien and the Longchamps Tennis Club , evolve/move to a hundred meters one, other.
including all taxes Waremme evolves/moves in 3rd provincial inhabitant of Li2ege this season 2007-2008.
Waremme is a true center for the schooling in the area. Many pupils come from the four corners of Hesbaye find themselves each day on the benches of the various schools which account the center and villages belonging to the commune.
- Royal Athenaeum
- Free Teaching
- College and Institut Saint-Louis
- Institute the St. Lawrence
- Institute Notre-Dame
- IPES of Hesbaye
- Site of Waremme I
- Site of Waremme II
Primary and maternal
- Royal Athenaeum
- Free Teaching
- Institute Saint-Louis
- Institute Notre-Dame
- Large-Axhe Clearly-Morning
- elementary Schools of Waremme I
- elementary Schools of Waremme II
- IC E : Knokke/Blankenberge - Brussels - Liege-Guillemins/Genk
- IC F : Quiévrain - Brussels - Liege-Guillemins
- L : Liege-Guillemins - Waremme
tce (drunk Walloon)
- 45 Waremme - Huy
- 45b Waremme - Haneffe - Verlaine
- 45c Waremme - Quoted Hartenge - Bettincourt
- 83a Waremme - Geer - Hannut
- 84 Waremme - Momalle - Liege
- 84 \ 2 Waremme - Pousset - Remicourt - Oreye - Thys - Crisnée
- 128 Waremme - Geer - Hannut
- 147 Waremme - Oreye
De Lijn (drunk Flemish)
The district of Waremme gathers the communes of:
- 2. Braives
- 3. Crisnée
- 4. Donceel
- 5. Faimes
- 6. Fexhe-the-High-Bell-tower
- 7. Geer
- 8. Hannut
- 9. Lincent
- 10. Oreye
- 11. Remicourt
- 12. Saint-Georges-on-Meuse
- 13. Waremme
- 14. Wasseiges
|Random links:||IBook (first generation) | Largillay-Marsonnay | Party of the reform and the development | Södertälje | County of Chenggong|