AdministrationThe city is divided into three cantons:
- the Canton of Vitry-on-Seine-Is account 27 812 inhabitants;
- the Canton of Vitry-on-Seine-North account 24 986 inhabitants;
- the Canton of Vitry-on-Seine-West account 26 110 inhabitants.
The zone of use of Vitry ‑ on ‑ the Seine consists of 8 communes located in the Valley ‑ of ‑ Marne. In 2004, it accommodates nearly 12.900 establishments (nearly 32% resulting from the trade and 18% to the commercial services to the companies).
Over the period 1990 - 1999, the population of the zone of use of Vitry ‑ on ‑ the Seine increases by 0,10% on average annual. On the level of the Island ‑ of ‑ France, this rate is established to + 0,30%.
In 1999, less than 20 years hardly 25% of the population of the zone represent, that is to say a value almost equal to the regional average.
GeographyLocated on the side of a hill, the City still extends the top of the plate, very green, to the Seine around known as Port-with-the English. This port which had for a long time an important role in the economy of the city had been installed in the neighborhoods of 1271 by a certain Jean Langlois whose name was skinned with time.
The city also offers a notable geology: from its basement the gypsum and the calcareous stone in careers exploited until the beginning were extracted from the 20th century and whose product was used for construction in all the area.
But like any village of island-of-France, Vitry initially and before was very a country of culture. Until about 1700, the vine recovered all the slope, before being supplanted by pépinères. Thus, at the time revolutionist, the blazon of Vitry comprised three trees. The city had also known important, and an astonishment flourishing, culture of the fig tree. The progressive replacement of the latter by the seedbeds and the lilacs is commemorated each year at the time of the festival of the lilacs.
The commune is served by two stations of the RER C: Vitry-sur-Seine and Ardoines.
The name of Vitry east of Gallo-Roman origin: when Lutèce was occupied by the Roman troops, of the Roman colonists the best grounds in the neighborhoods occupied quite naturally. One of them, Victorius would have given by successive deformations Victoriacum (name attested at the 9th century), Victorium and Vitriacum, Latin name of Vitry. As for much of localities close to big cities, it was of habit to make follow Vitry of the name of its large neighbor. At the end of the 14th century, the city thus named “Vitry close Paris”. However, starting from the end of the 16th century, the parochial registers as well as the notarial acts are marked frequently of “Vitry-sur-Seine”. At the 17th century, the city is mainly known for its seedbeds of trees then its forceries of lilac, and was a privileged place of holiday. Taking into account the importance taken by the nursery gardeners, the question was put to know if Vitry-sur-Seine would not become Vitry-with-Trees. In 1897, the Municipal council chooses Vitry-sur-Seine finally.
Near to the capital, the small town of Vitry often was engaged in the events which marked the French history. During the invasion of Gaulle by the Romans, a battle would have been place in the plain of Vitry, 52 years old before J. - C., between the Roman legions ordered by Labienus and the Gallic ones having at their Camulogène head. The defeat of the latter would have made it possible César to occupy Lutèce.
Port-with-L' English was the theater, at various times of the bloody combat between the troops of the Dolphin and Charles de Navarre in 1358, between Armagnacs and Bourguignons in 1434.
In 1572, the water frontier runner blocks the passage of the Seine with boats and allows the massacre of the Protestants who fled Paris at the time of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre. The wars of the Fronde in 1652 bring their share of engagements for the possession of a bridge of boats.
At the time of the war free-Prussian of 1870, Mill of Saquet fears it fall to the hands from the Prussians then is taken again three days afterwards. It will be in addition occupied during the Commune of Paris by the Federate ones. It is taken again by trick, by the Of Versailles ones, in the night from May 3rd to 4th 1871.
Like any town of France, Vitry is marked hard by the drama of the Great War which costs the life 736 inhabitants.
From 1925, the municipality of Vitry is communist.
Then is with the tower of the Second world war to cause new human disasters: 422 vitryots pay of their life their actions of resistance, combat or simply their religious membership.
The post-war period is devoted to the modernization of the commune. The old workings are replaced by great units. The creation of an industrial park has as a consequence the increase in the population which passes from 9.894 in 1901 to 86.000 in 1975 and causes an important reorganization of town planning. The new town hall of Vitry is inaugurated in 1986.
In the Seventies these policies of installation will show their limit with the favor of the crisis which leads in Vitry to the same social problems as those met in many peripheral communes, with its batch of violence of which some had an important media repercussion.
The December 24th 1980 the communist municipality makes destroy with the bulldozer a workers' home immigrants sheltering 300 workers Malians. The mayor Paul Mercieca is supported by Georges Marchais then by a resolution of the Central committee of the Party. The repercussion of this business will do of it one of the revealing events of a crisis of immigration in France and mark its entry in the political debate.
If the protests hardly have continuation locally, on the other hand the murder of Abdelkader, a 15 year old teenager, killed on February 16th, 1980 by an apartment house manager will be the occasion of one of the first important mobilizations of associations born at that time for the defense of the suburbs and the young people resulting from immigration. The advertisement of the judgment at five one-year suspended sentences of the murderer of Abdelkader will cause a riot in front of the “law courts” of Creteil, the demonstrations to Lyon and the occupation of a room of the PCF.
From December 26th to 31st 2001, during five nights clash young people and police force after the death of a young person originating in Vitry, shot down whereas it tried to direct a bank of Neuilly-sur-Marne (Seine-Saint-Denis). More than one about sixty cars are burnt.
The October 4th 2002 the Murder of Sohane Benziane, 17 years, burned alive in a room with dustbins of the Quoted Balzac , by his/her ex-small 19 year old friend, is at the origin of the first walk of “Neither subjected whores nor”.
The city is touched little by the riots from October 27th to November 16th, 2005 in the suburbs which coincides with the inauguration of MAC/VAL, museum of contemporary art of the Valley-of-Marne on November 15th (in the absence of the Minister for the culture, Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres, the city and the department being directed by the Communist party).
Tourist monuments and placesPort with English, suspended bridge with the top of the the Seine, old Town hall of old style and which was moved of its original site.
The church. The city knew two major churches: initially Saint-Gervais - Protais Saint who knew an animated destiny: burned by the troops of Charles de Navarre, rebuilt at the expenses of Charles V, closed with the Revolution, it was finally destroyed shortly after because of its outdatedness. At the 12th century construction had begun from a second church: Saint-Germain, completed in XIVe. It, on the other hand, faced time and is to us the witness of the Romanesque art and the radiant Gothic.
The castle. Claude François Paparel, treasurer of the wars of Louis XIV, makes build a castle in 1708. Thereafter, various owners occupy it of which the marshal of Alegre. The castle is proposed in 1907 like town hall to the municipality. This one not being able to agree proposed a referendum with the inhabitants. By 1.552 votes against 1.151 the purchase of the castle is pushed back. It is demolished in 1912 and the grounds sold in allotments.
TransportVitry-sur-Seine is crossed north in the south by the N305, by the lines of bus: - and has two stations the RER Vitry-sur-Seine and Ardoines.
- Balzac (District concerned with a project of urban renewal signed with ANRU)
- French Lucien
- the Chestnut trees
- the Sand pit 200
- Mario Capra
- the Great Units
- the Green Mill
- Roofs and Green Joy
- District Couzy
- Perished Gabriel
- Henri Barbusse
- the Clock
- Quoted of the center town
- Henri Villemorin
- Yellow Camille Groult
- the Refrigerator
- Yellow City Blue
- the combatants
- Roger deri
Vitry-sur-Seine develops since long years a cultural policy making it possible all to reach Article Ainsi, more than 100 sculptures of contemporary art are established in the city, in particular in the establishments of public education (schools, colleges and colleges).
In addition, Vitry reception the Museum of contemporary art of the Valley-of-Marne. Inaugurated the November 18th 2005, this museum proposes moreover workshops of visual arts, an auditorium and a cinema of art and tests.
- Burnley (the United Kingdom), of 1958 with 1974 then since 1995
- Kladno (Czech Republic), since 1966
- Meissen (Germany), since 1973
Personalities related to the commune
- Claude François Paparel
- Jean-Baptiste Brunet, Général.
- Pierre Lord of the manor-Tailhade, Journalist.
- Daniel Duval, Realizer.
- 113, group of rap.
- Rohff, Rap fear.
- Revolved Zero: James Delleck and Jouage, Rap fear.
- Jérémy Carry out, footballer (Monaco L1).
- Jimmy Briand, footballer (Rennes L1).
- Town hall of Vitry-sur-Seine
|Random links:||Culture of Turkey | Archignac | Saint-Wolf-on-Semouse | Ramón Ayala | Millerandage | Tecumseh,_Michigan|