The name of the commune comprises the root moutier meaning monastery.
GeographyVimoutiers is located in the Country of Trough, a river the cross-piece one calls it the Life.
- the Abbaye of Jumièges had rights to with it, in particular a market for which Roger Ier de Montgommery, Viscount of Hiémois, entered in conflict with it.
- During the Battle of Normandy, the city almost entirely was destroyed by an American bombardment (only the Church remained upright) on June 14th, 1944, making 200 dead. It constituted the base camp of 2nd SS-Panzer Korps which counter-attacked the Polish positions on Maczuga, during the battle of the Poche of Cliff (August 20th, 1944). Vimoutiers was released on August 22nd, 1944 by the Canadian troops after the end of the battle of the Poche of Chambois which was completed in Montormel and where one can now visit the memorial of the battle of Normandy (with ten kilometers of Vimoutiers in direction of Chambois).
- the city is the place of arrival of the cycle race Paris-Camembert cheese since 1934.
- the 24 hours of pedal cars, created in 1982 at the same time as the French federation of the clubs of pedal cars whose seat is in Vimoutiers, this race takes place every 2 years in July and attracts several thousands of spectators.
- the fair of apple takes place every year the 3rd weekend of October: fun fair, parades Sunday afternoon, contest of apple in all its states (fruit, cider, apple-brandy, apple tart), contest of animals with meat, commercial exposure, pomological exposures with in particular a reconstitution of a place or a construction, in connection with the topic of the fair chosen, entirely made with apples: one remembers for example the drakkar, the house Norman, the gardens of Alhambra or of Sphynx.
- the fair of Easter which takes place every year during the weekend of Easter: fun fair, parades Sunday afternoon, contest of the Norman ass Monday, commercial exposure. Until 2006, semi-traditional the " Paris - Camembert" the fair enclosed but a change of the calendar imposed by the Union International Cyclist shifted the race one week later.
HeraldicWeapons of the town of Vimoutiers:
“ Of azure to the gold cross, confined of four leant money keys ”
Places and monuments
- Statue of Marie Harel
- the " Tank Tiger of Vimoutiers" , at the southern exit is city on the road of Gacé, testifies to engagements which proceeded in the vicinity with an extreme violence.
- " Ratisfaite" , cow bronzes some on the Mackau place in front of the Town hall.
- the church Notre Dame (end of XIXère century) and its stained glasses carried out by the workshops Gabriel the Loire, after those were destroyed during the bombardment on June 14th, 1944.
- the Old Convent, classified historic building, old convent of bénédictines builds fine of XVIère century and beginning of XVIIère century.
- the museum of the Camembert cheese
Personalities related to the commune
- Alain III, duke of Brittany, dies in Vimoutiers the 1er October 1040, during a forwarding against Normandy.
- Dr. Michel Marescot, born in Vimoutiers in 1539, ordinary doctor of the king Henri IV.
- Paul Creton, Tisserand French of the XVIIe century, inventor of the Cretonne.
- Joseph Laniel, politician born in Vimoutiers, Secretary of State, several times minister then president of the Council of Ministers under Vincent Auriol then Rene Coty.
- Sontra, Germany
- Fordingbridge, the United Kingdom
- Châtelet, Belgium
- Vimoutiers of formerly: a whole series of photographs before the bombardments of June 1944 (with a bond on Charlotte Corday).
- Vimoutiers on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Vimoutiers on the site of INSEE
- Vimoutiers on the site of Quid
- Localization of Vimoutiers on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Vimoutiers on Mapquest
|Random links:||The Boat of Emile | Constitutional court (Spain) | Rodolfo Rodríguez | Not cardinal (optics) | Lokomotivbau Karl Marx | Michelin|