The inhabitants of Villeurbanne are called villeurbannais .
GeographyVilleurbanne is a town of France, in the suburbs is of Lyon and forms intramurally with the latter.
The commune is delimited with the western by the Parc of the Gold Head (Lyon 6th), with the Southern by the 3rd district, with the Is by Bron and Vaulx-in-Vellum and with the Northern by the Rhone. In the south of the course Emile Zola, one finds the districts of Cyprian - the Brushes, of the Perralière, Grandclément, House-New Gratte-Ciel and . In north, one finds the districts of the Buers, of Cross-Luizet, Charpennes-Tonkin, of Cusset, as well as the campus of Endowed It. In the east of the channel of Jonage, one finds the district of Midsummer's Day. The Boulevard peripheral Laurent Bonnevay of Lyon crosses Villeurbanne on the part ranging between the doors of Endowed It and with Montchat.
HistoryIts name comes from Latin Villa urbana, who indicated a large farm dating from the Roman epoch (approx. -40) and located around current Poste of the Grandclément Place. Villeurbanne joined the kingdom of France in 1349. Primarily agricultural, the commune gains in importance with the establishment in 1837 of dams to contain the the Rhone, whose episodical risings hitherto recovered most of the plain. The city formed successively part of the Dauphiné (the Rhone constituting the natural border) then department of the Isere, before being attached to that of the the Rhone in 1852. She however at that time refuses her fastening at the town of Lyon, against the other suburbs like Vaise, Guillotière or Cross-Russet-red the. The commune of Villeurbanne appears the shortly after the Révolution, with Etienne Debourg like first mayor. The census of 1810 counts 1903 inhabitants (125 000 in 2000). At the time of the Industrial revolution and towards the end of the 19th century, it develops quickly like working suburbs of Lyon, characteristic which results still today in an anchoring on the left.
Administrationthe former data are not yet known.
The city has an antenna of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Lyon.
Places and monuments
CultureBecause of its recent development, Villeurbanne does not count old Monument S. One can however note the city of the Gratte-ciel , including/understanding residential buildings, the town hall and the popular National theater (NPT), built in the Années 1930, on the initiative of the mayor Lazare Goujon. At the end of the Years 1980, a modern Media library, called House of the book, image and sound , was built by Mario Botta.
The Center Reports and Company must open its doors beginning 2007 in the Grandclément district. It is a place of debate of meetings and exchanges. It will accommodate moreover municipal files thus more opened to the researchers, the funds company of the Maison of the book of the image and sound and the Museum of the Schools. The unit occupies a surface of 2.500 m ².
SportThe town of Villeurbanne lodges a club omnisport, the ASVEL, whose section tennis shoe evolves/moves for a long time in Pro has (16 titles of champion of France of tennis shoe). It lodges also Villeurbanne Handball which is in D2M (the 2nd division). The municipality has nineteen stages, thirteen halls sports (including three of more than thousand five hundred places), four bowling pitches, three swimming pools, five walls of climbing and ten grounds of proximity.
The city counts more than 200 sporting clubs.
Festivities and events
- Mars Reflections of the Iberian and Latin-American Cinema
- Mars treads of Villeurbanne
- April Festival of the book youth
- May: the good Seedlings
- Mi June Invite Them of Villeurbanne
- Mi November Festival of Short film of Villeurbanne
- At the end of May the 24:00 of INSA (Weekend of festivity various in all the campus)
- Every two years: the biennial one of the dance based on different topics with each biennial (September 2006: cities of the world)
TeachingVilleurbanne shelters the campus of Doua, which is one of the most important university sites of the Lyons Agglomération. It shelters in particular:
- the National institute of Sciences Applied (INSA)
- the University Lyon I (Claude Bernard) (Faculty of Science + IUT + STAPS)
- the 3Ecole Nationale Sup3erieure of the library and information sciences (ENSSIB)
- one of the five regional Institutes of administration (WILL GO)
- the Institut of Sciences and Technology of the Engineer de Lyon (ISTIL)
- the university electronic physics chemistry of Lyon CPE
the national écola of music ENM
The Professional training center of the Music CFPM
Green areas and parksIn the North of the campus of Endowed, on the edges of the the Rhone, is the Parc of Feyssine, of a surface of 40 hectares. The different main thing green area is the park of the Commune of Paris.
Famous personalitiesFelix Baudy a bricklayer's mate creusois who worked in Villeurbanne at the beginning of the XX century and who was shot for the example in 1915. A street bears its name.
Born (E) S in Villeurbanne
- Laurent-Pierre de Jussieu: Writer moralist born in Villeurbanne on February 7th, 1792, died in Passy on February 23rd, 1866. It had a brother who was administrator, Alexis de Jussieu, born on August 17th, 1802 and dead on October 25th, 1865 with the castle of Beauverney (Ain)
- Henri Cochet, French tennis player, the December 14th 1901 († 1987).
- Laure Manaudou, French swimmer, the October 9th 1986.
- Clement Michu, actor, December 14th 1936. He played in particular in Commissaire Mill.
- Thierry Ascione, player of Tennis French, the January 17th 1981.
Death with Villeurbanne
- Jean Chacornac, French astronomer, the September 23rd 1873 (° 1823)
- Charles Hernu, Political man French and Mayor of Villeurbanne of 1977 to its death the January 17th 1990
- Common of the Rhone
- Station of Villeurbanne
|Random links:||Conceptos de sistemas | Vaubadon | Megadendromus nikolausi | Henri Dutrochet | Waltham (Quebec) | Spruce-2 | Terry_Pratchett|