The commune is served by 3 stations of the Ligne 7 of the Parisian subway. It is crossed by the Nationale 7.
The communes bordering are the Kremlin-Bicêtre in north, Ivry-sur-Seine in the North-East, Vitry-sur-Seine in the east, the Haÿ-the-Pinks in the south, Cachan in the west and Arcueil in the North-West.
HistoryCome at the history around the year Millet, Villejuif preserves a rural character until the 20th century. Property with the Middle Ages of great religious institutions, the grounds will pass little by little in the hands of the middle-class men of the capital. This situation still worsens at the 17th century, when Saint-Nicolas-of-Hanging-post joins together the third approximately surface around its farm! The peasants and the vine growers of Villejuif have only modest properties and are often constrained to be useful as farm laborers.
The country Community thus; but, Villejuif was always regarded as a borough, relay of station: craftsmen, merchants settle there. From 60 fires at the 15th century, the population passes to 216 fires in 1709 (either thousand inhabitants approximately). The 16th century gives to Villejuifois some prosperity: the church, burned during the One hundred Year old war, is rebuilt. The three streets of the center take their final aspect then: main street, streets of Moutier and Upstream.
With the Révolution (first mayor, Charles Radot, 1790) the land structures burst, but the great properties disappear only during the 19th century. Local fortunes set up (Godefroy, Fleury, Labbé) on corn and the quarries gypsum, later on the seedbeds. The vine, as of the end of the 18th century, plays only one minor part.
It is as of after the confrontations of 1870-1871 (which devastate the commune: Fears mill of Saquet in 1871 fights held by the insurrectionists of the Commune of Paris and fallen by treachery between the hands from the troops of Versailles in the night from May 3rd to 4th 1871.) that rural Villejuif starts to yield ground with the installation (1890) of the lunatic asylum (Villejuif will accommodate two more other hospitals: Paul-bush (1913) and the Institute Gustave Roussy). First working allotments, end of the 19th century, in Bas-Villejuif (street of the Pump); then, allotment in the center of the park of the Saint-Novel (before 1914); finally, between the two wars, many allotments on the plate which get for Villejuif a beautiful suburban zone.
This great urban movement started with the radical municipality of Reulos (1883 - 1904), continued in an anarchistic way and without prospect under Destauret (1908 - 1925) is concluded its as from 1925 with the municipalities chaired by communist mayors: Guillemin, Cantini, Paul Valiant-Dressmaker (1929 - 1937), the Religious bigot, Louis Dolly and since 1977 Pierre-Yves Cosnier.
Political evolution of the commune which explains the participation of many Villejuifois in the resistance in 1939-1945 (ten shot) and with the combat for peace. She explains also the will of the municipality to fight against disindustrialization and the Chômage.
It is resulted from it, these last years, the creation of the zone of activities of Ear-in Or, between the district of Lozaits (built in 1960-1965) and the district of the High-Heathers in the course of construction.
The urbanization is completed. The creation of the departmental park supplements the series of the large equipment which makes of Villejuif a modern city.
Origin of the nameThe name of “Villejuif” appears for the first time in a papal bubble of 1119 in the shape of “Judea Villa” whose definition gave place to many debates. Some translate it by “ground of Juif S” but the current Historien S consider that, more surely, this name indicates a certain “Juvius” or “Juveus” owner of a Gallo-Roman villa localized at this place.
Villejuif is the main city of a Communauté of agglomeration of the Valley of Beaver which gathers seven communes: Arcueil, Cachan, Fresnes, Gentilly, the Haÿ-the-Pinks, the Kremlin-Bicêtre and Villejuif
Villejuif is divided into two cantons:
- the canton of Villejuif-Is account 20.842 inhabitants (Villejuifois);
- the canton of Villejuif-West counts 26.542 inhabitants.
Mayors of Villejuif
Places known as/Curiosities/Monuments
- Hotel of the harbor office of huntings, particular residence of Jacques-Alexandre Gautier de Vinfrais, Inspector of Huntings of the King, built about 1760.
- Mill of Saquet
- War memorial of 1914-1918 set up in 1924 and carved by Christian Edmond.
- College Karl Marx, Building of before guard conceived in 1933 by Andre Lurçat, the college Karl Marx combines concrete and glass, according to a tradition inspired of the Bauhaus. Built in the middle of the fields, the college showed the faith of the city in the urban development.
- breakage-cars of the RN7
- the Institute Gustave-Roussy, (IGR) of international repute for the treatment of cancer.
- the Hospital Paul-Bush, establishment considered for inter alia its innovation and its knowledge to make in the field of hepatic transplantation.
- the Hôpital Specialized Paul-Guiraud (psychiatric hospital) whom one twice finds in the career of Gerard Depardieu during turnings of Colonel Chabert (turned preparatory, 1994) and of the Machine (taken of sight, 1994)
- EFREI École of engineers of management and information technologies
- EPITA École for the advanced data processing and techniques
- ISBP Institut Sup' Biotech of Paris
- part of the Tanks of the town of Paris
- the pyramid (classified) located just beside the academy
Personalities related to Villejuif
- Thomas de Treil de Pardailhan (1754 - 1822), appointed department of Paris to the legislative Parliament (1791-1792).
- large the Musicologist turco - Armenian Vertapet Komitas (1869 - 1935) died in the hospital pychiatric of Villejuif, having survived the Armenian genocide but there having lost the reason.
- the singer Kylie Minogue was looked after by chemotherapy at the Institute Gustave-Roussy de Villejuif, in 2005.
- the French politician Alain Lipietz which is city council man in 1994.
- Maire of the city in 1929, then appointed and general adviser Paul Valiant-Dressmaker.
- Official site of the town hall
- Villejuif on Google map
|Random links:||Francisco de Almeida | Tomb of Ramsès VI | Louis Bertrand de Sivray | Georg Tintner | Lagos de Moreno | Rance_(bande)|