Its inhabitants is called the Valjovien () S .
Vaujours extends on 378 hectares, for an altitude of 61 meters. The city is built on the hillside dominating the flat of France.
The commune is bordering on:
Tremblay-in-France in north;
- Villeparisis in the North-East;
- Courtry in south-east;
- Coubron in the south;
- Livry-Gargan in south-west;
- Sevran in the west;
- Villepinte in the North-West.
HistoryThe village is old: it is quoted in documents former to the 9th century. In the files of the 12th century, one names it " Vallis Jost" and " Vaujoi" (Valley of jost or Valley of the joy). Étymologiquement, the name Vaujours comes from the Latin words vallis and jocosa , " valley of the joie".
Towards 1100, this ground belonged to Etienne of Senlis which made of it gift thereafter with the Saint-Victor abbey of Paris (property of Paris until in 1792).
Close to the Mautauban hill, Henri IV had a hunting lodge. It left its name with the locality and the allotment of theGallant one. In 1844, the horticultural college Fénelon was created: it gave again a certain prestige with the castle of the 18th century. This castle was accompanied by a landscape park where was a barn with the Dîme S of the 16th siècle.
At the end of the 18th century, the Saint Nicolas's Day church was built: it always shelters treasures of the Sacred art in particular a painting of the 18th century, representing the baptism of Christ, a gate vault of the 17th century, and the tombstones of the family of Maistre which reigned on the village of 1760 with 1840.
Until the beginning of the 20th century, Vaujours was the village of the " Pailleux".
Vaujours was a strategic point of the Bataille of the Marne in September 1914.
Municipal councilThe Municipal council of the city is formed eight associated with the mayor, and of twenty-nine city council men, of which eights belong to the opposition.
List successive mayorsSince 1995, Michel Duhau is mayor of Vaujours.
The blazon of the city east " Of azure to the bretessée and contrebretessée gold band; with the of the same chief, in charge of a ray of escarboucle flower shredded of azur".
On this blazon, one Ecu stamped of the mural crown can be distinguished. It has three crenelated gold towers. It is supported by the lightning of gold ignited of mouths. Those spout out three flowers of concern, tigées and broken into leaf.
The ground of Vaujours belonged to the Abbey of Victor Saint of Paris whose weapons (the escarboucle) are redrawn as a chief of the ecu; later, these grounds became the property of the family Scarron, of which the weapon, the band bretessée and contrebretessée, figure on the lower part of the blazon. Then, of 1569 to the XIXe century the castle of Vaujours (today Fénelon school) became the property of the family of Maistre which carried in its weapons three flowers of concern, taken again for the external ornaments. Finally the Powder mill of Sevran is evoked by the lightning, symbol which carried the Officers of the Powders.
- Culture of the vine and the fruits until the end of the 19th century.
- Chalk pits, one of the first worldwide productions.
- nuclear Center in the old one extremely of Vaujours.
Vaujours is served by the Gare of Green-Gallant the on the line B of the RER (B5 terminus Mitry-Claye connects).
The city is also served by the line It is served by the TVF line 08 which goes from Puppet to Meaux
Parks and green areas
the park Alexandre Boucher: of 6.200 m2, located at the downtown area;
- the park of the powder mill of 116 hectares;
- the park of Garenne: of 9.100 m2, located at the south of the city;
- the forest of Coubron.
the library : the library lends 27.000 volumes to the inhabitants and offers and many activities: Cyberclub of reading, tales animated, exposures, workshops of writing
the academy of music and dance : it offers musical or theatrical representations.
the sports complex : it shelters stage performances and musical.
the Church Saint Nicolas's Day , built on a basilical plan, rebuilt in 1769 on the site of the old building whose only the bell-tower remains. The bells and the stained glasses date from the end of the 19th century.
the presbytery (3 rue de Livry): built in 1730, it represents the single vestige of the priory built by the regular canon Grenée, of the Saint-Victor abbey of Paris. It contains inside the skirtings, of the chimneys of marble and a beautiful staircase with wood balusters.
Castle of Vaujours
The castle of Vaujours (1 rue de Montauban) dating from the end of the 18th century is reconverted in horticultural college. Its decorations in ironwork (slope of wrought iron staircase…) and its sculptures and paintings are registered historic buildings. At side, the old barn dimière probably dates from the XIIIe century.
The castle Mathieu (street of Coubron) building out of brick and stone, framed turrets dating from the 19th century.
Extremely of Vaujours
Other architectural curiosities
- the buildings of old the national Powder mill of Sevran-Livry, of the 19th century.
- the sundial (36 rue de l' church), on the frontage of a rural house of the 19th century.
- a terminal with flower of lily to the Hamlet of Montauban.
the Hotel-of-City, built during IIIe Republic.
Some famous characters remained in Vaujours:
- Louis Dumas, French pedagog, died out with the castle on July 19th, 1744.
- Henri Coutet
TeachingThe whole of the schools is managed by the departmental inspection of State education of Montfermeil and by the Académie of Creteil.
Public secondary education
- Nursery school the Fountain
- Nursery school Marlières
- Elementary school Jules Ferry
- Elementary school Paul Bert
- College Henri IV
Private secondary educationThe catholic Private school Fénelon Vaujours named college Fénelon is located opposite the town hall.
Recreational centresvarious recreational centres are open during school vacations and Wednesdays to accommodate the children and to propose play activities to them:
- Center Jalupates
- Center Chanteflandre
- Center Teenager
Sportthe sport with Vaujours today :
HealthVaujours has sheltered for several years a Medical center and social (dispensary), a Center of infant protection of the French Croix-Rouge, a Communal center of Social action, a Center of Maternal protection and Infantile (P.M.I), and one Residence medicalized for elderly. In 2006, the commune gathered eleven Médecin S general practitioners, two specialist physicians, a medical auxiliary, and a pharmacy. The city is attached to the inter-commune Hôpital of Montfermeil.
Worship protesting: the Temple is located at Raincy.
- catholic Worship : the Saint Nicolas's Day Church, located street of Vaujours.
The Cimetière of Vaujours is located close to the Saint Nicolas's Day church.
MediaThe commune has only one written media: Hyphen .
- the forest national park of Sevran: national Powder mill of Sevran-Livry
- the Channel of Ourcq
- List of forts, fortifications, citadels and fortified towns in France
- Official site
- Site of the public library
Notes, sources and references
|Random links:||Firewire | Henriette Martinez | Alan Baker | Eric Håkonsson | Mickey, Pluto and the Ostrich | Police chief of Yukon | Numéro_4_(Mahler)_de_symphonie|