Its inhabitants are Valmondoisien () S.
GeographyThe commune is bordering on Parmain, Isle-Adam, Butry-on-Oise, Auvers-sur-Oise and Nesles-the-Valley.
It includes/understands the hamlet of Naze and the variations called Equipped the , the mill of the Factory and the Farm .
The name Valmondois comes from Latin vallis munda , the elegant valley. One quotes in this connection a word game of Rutebeuf: " Valmondois is of valor world, Bien is the value mondée."
The place is occupied as of the Préhistoire, as the discovery of many flints cut on the territory of the commune attests it. Previously, in 1093, a chartre of donation of certain Adam de Valmondois evokes the primitive church of the current village. The village is mentioned then at the 12th century sour the name of Valmondoys . It is also made mention in 1140 of a Gautier de Valmondois, taking part in the voyage from Jerusalem. The parish depends on the diocese of Rouen, the Parliament of Paris and the bailliage of Senlis. The Sausseron which crosses the borough is marked out of 21 mills at the 13th century, including 7 in Valmondois. Oldest since 1164 turns. In 1899, six water mills are still in activity on the course of the river with Valmondois.
At the 18th century, the stronghold is shared between the prince of Conti and the Saint Martin's day abbey of Pontoise. In 1781, it counted arable land 90% and recovered about its current surface. The village counts two castles: one, near the church on the slope to the slope, is completely destroyed during the French revolution, the other, the castle of Orgivaux, is rebuilt at the end of the 18th century. A priory is sold like national good with a miller of the village for a ridiculous sum with the Revolution.
In 1849, a fire devastates a dozen thatch houses of the village.
The singer of opera, author and type-setter Gilbert Duprez settles at the village and of about it 1850 with becomes the mayor 1870, he is quickly joined by the sculptor Adolphe-Victor Geoffroy Dechaume (1815-1892), raises of David of Angers. The commune thus acquires a relative notoriety in second half of the 19th century. Several painters (Corot, Theodore Rousseau, Charles-François Daubigny…) settle there and confer to him, with the image Auvers-sur-Oise its neighbor, a cultural dynamism some. The caricaturist Honore Daumier finishes his life there. The commune attracts thereafter Georges Duhamel, Charles Vildrac and Maurice de Vlaminck.
The commune is served by the railroad as of 1846, but the Gare of Valmondois, located in fact at Butry-on-Oise, will be inaugurated only in 1877. It became a terminus partial of the Transilien Paris-North. Valmondois also was crossed and served 1886 with 1949 by the line of Railroad with metric gauge track Valmondois - Navy. A few days before the release, an employee of this line, resistant, will be tortured and cut down by the Germans.
In 2005, the annual inquiry of census of INSEE in the commune of Valmondois gives a report on a population of 1250 inhabitants , that is to say an increase of 3,6% compared to 1999.
Inheritance and places of visit
Built classified or entered inheritancethe church Saint-Quentin the building is mentioned in a document of 1093 but the major part of the building goes back to the 13th century. The side chapels have six hanging keys arched with pendants of Renaissance style dated from the neighborhoods of 1525. Relative disproportion between the chorus and the bell-tower (financed and restored historically by the clergy) and the remainder of the building (with the theoretical load of faithful) undoubtedly testifies to an unfinished construction. One also finds in the church of the low reliefs of the XVIIe century representing Saint-Jean-Baptist.
The mill of Naze (street Leon Bernard), water mill located on the Sausseron, functions since 1403. It is this mill which would have provided the inspiration to Jean of the Fountain, then host of prince de Conti, for his fable " The Miller, his son and the âne". The mill became house of flour-milling , one of the house-museums of the Regional natural park of French Vexin. It always presents its old mechanism and a wheel known as Poncelet.
Classified or entered movable inheritance
Marthe and Marie , painting of Agostino Scilla of 1679, visible in the chorus of the Saint-Quentin church is registered since 1987. The fabric comes from the Napoleonean spoils of war, more exactly of a convent of Fano (Italy). It was given to the church by the family of Provigny.
Holy Jerome , fabric of the XVIIe century classified in 1981, is also visible in the church. It represents this Doctors of the Church.
Another table Christ appearing to the holy women , limit XVIIIe-XIXe century, of unknown author, is classified since 1996 and is preserved at the presbytery.
Other sites and curiositiesa bust of Daumier by Adolphe-Victor Geoffroy-Plows the stubble flowering ash the large one places village.
The mill of Orgivaux in activity until 1932, transformed into factory of ice used until 1960.
The castle of Orgivaux , remains beginning of the XIXe century, is surrounded by a park arranged by Jean-Charles Alphand. He does not visit himself. A bridge above the road at the entry of the village connects it to the vestiges of an orangery, recently restored. A stone dovecote is in the court of the castle.
The mill Roy , attested as of XIIe century but whose current buildings go back to 1840, functions until 1978. It is since occupied by a glass Master.
One can see in the cemetery fall it, with the low-relief carved by Geoffroy-Plows the stubble, of Louis-Nicolas Bescherelle (1802-1883). The Saint-Quentin church also contains a copy of a fabric of Raphaël of the XIXe century ( Scène of exorcism ) and stained glasses of the same time, in particular that representing the marriage of the virgin, assembled in a style imitating that of XVIe century (glaziery in rhombus, decorative elements in edge).
The house Daumier , in the Main street of the village, is bought by Camille Corot for the caricaturist then in the embarrassment. It is next to its workshop. The house was taken again by Jacques Monestier, creator of automats.
Rue des Vallées, one notices an old house of vine grower renovated built on old cellars, street of the walls the house of the travellers of 1830 is inhabited by the painter Joel Moulin (1935-1997) then by his family. Lastly, in the street éponyme, the house of Georges Duhamel is always remains family of his/her son Antoine Duhamel, type-setter. These houses are not visited and are visible since the street. In Main street, an old bar-restaurant, today dwelling, were placed in a house of the beginning of the XIXe century. The laundrette in the commune, on Sausseron, is XIXe century. The old presbytery being next to the church is a house of the XVIIIe century.
The cemetery of Valmondois, on the slopes of the valley of the Sausseron offers a sight on the church. It contains, in addition to the tomb of Bescherelle, the burials of Laurent Desrousseaux, painter of kind (1852-1906), Pierre Sabbagh (1918-1994), Geoffroy-Plows the stubble, Jacques Bertillon (1851-1922), Georges Huisman (1889-1957) and the funerary vault of the family of Provigny.
Two cross of way are visible on the rural paths of the plate.
- Honore Daumier, painter, draftsman and sculptor, is deceased in Valmondois in 1879, where it was temporarily buried before its skin is transferred to the Parisian cemetery from the Father-Lachaise. Others as of its contemporaries artists of reputation lived in the commune, in particular Charles-François Daubigny, which had been placed there as a nurse during her childhood, and Camille Corot. The brother of Jules Dupre, Victor (1816-1879), also lived Valmondois, where it painted.
Georges Duhamel, writer and academician French settles in Valmondois in 1919 with the return of the war. It then spends there six months devoted per annum to the writing. He dies in his house of the village the April 13rd 1966. His/her son Antoine Duhamel was born in Valmondois in 1925 and always lives the commune with his family.
Louis-Nicolas Bescherelle, one of the most eminent lexicographers of the 19th century author of the famous grammar books had a son who was mayor of the commune of 1908 to his death in 1922. It made there bring back the mortal remains of its father who was buried in the cemetery of the village.
the sculptor Adolphe-Victor Geoffroy-Plows the stubble (1815-1892) lived, worked and died in Valmondois.
Georges Huisman (1889-1957), general secretary of the presidency under the mandate of Paul Doumer was mayor of the village.
Jacques Bertillon, statistician and famous demographer of the IIIe Republic, died in 1922 in Valmondois, where he lived.
Leon Bernard (1877-1936), member of the French Comedy during the between-two-war, lived the old house of Vlaminck. He played in particular Mr the Jordan in the comedy-ballet the Middle-class man gentleman .
Gilbert Duprez, lyric singer and mayor of Valmondois of 1853 to 1870.
Theophilus Sylvestre (1832-1876), writer and journalist of the Second Empire, lived and died in the commune.
|Random links:||Galago | The Atlantic (department) | Gioia Tauro | History of the submarines | Josefstadt | Frank_Vandenbroucke_(politicien)|