GeographyThe village of Vallorbe is located in Switzerland, in the chain of the Jura and more precisely on the river of the Orbe, in the middle of a dominated small valley on a side by the chain of the Dent of Vaulion, other side by that of the Mont of Gold (Doubs), closed in the medium by the Mont of Orzeires.
HistoryVallorbe appears for the first time in a historical document in 1139, in a bubble of the abbey of Romainmôtier. The first inhabitants were established around the Fountain of St-Pancrace. This public fountain was restored by the Commune in 2003 and its pure water oligominérale refresh any person free.
A page glorious and little known of the history of Vallorbe is the invention, by Jean-François Glardon, of the Revolver. He managed to build a gun drawing seven blows from continuation. This weapon was sent in 1814 to Alexandre, Empereur of Russia. The Tsar accepted it very and the single specimen is with Saint-Pétersbourg. The invention could not be exploited, for lack of sufficient capital.
PopulationWith 3087 inhabitants (at the end of 2003), Vallorbe belongs to the category of the common averages of the canton of Vaud. In 2000,85.5% of the inhabitants speak French, 3.5% Italian and 2.4% Albanian. Industrialization led Vallorbe to see its number inhabitants to increase quickly and the common one reached its higher point in 1920 (4621 inhabitants). Since, the population however dropped radically, the village losing 16% of its population between 1970 and 1980, following a tendency which many Swiss communes of the Jura know.
The Municipality (executive) is made up of five members: two liberals (Laurent Frankfurt and Stephan Costantini), two Socialists (Sylviane Tharin and Herve Foretay) and radical (Nicole Lorenzini). The syndic is liberal.
- Museum of the Iron and the Railroad
- Capital world of the file of precision, Vallorbe produces the work tools of the clock and watch maker. The exceptional site of the Large Forging mills, always in activity, recalls the metallurgical activity of the last centuries.
- Caves of Vallorbe, example impressing of process of Karst ification.
- the Caves with the Fairies (small and large), located in moved back of the Last, inspired by many legends.
- the Fort the Preone, military fortifications used at the time of the Second world war
- Juraparc, Bison S, wolf S and Ours
- Vallorbe belongs to the country of the precision (Watch Valley). It is a stage city of the “Route of the Clock industry”.
- 200 kilometers of Vallorbe.
- Louis Ruchonnet, federal adviser having made his beginnings in Vallorbe.
- Carlo Trinco, draftsman of cartoons, born in Vallorbe.
- Marcello Viotti, leader, born in Vallorbe in 1954.
- Christian Grobet, originating in Vallorbe, adviser of State to Geneva.
- Official site
- Caves of Vallorbe
|Random links:||Archambault bourbon-the | Calcineurine | Carl Stamitz | Celette | Sallebray | September 9th in the railroads | Rue_Helens,_Orégon|