See also: Ball
He is the son of the naturalist Robert Ball (1802-1857) and brother of the astronomer Sir Robert Stawell Ball (1840-1913). He studies with the Trinity College of Dublin where he obtains a Master off Arts and a Bachelor off Arts . Of 1806 with 1864, it occupies the functions of Masters of the offices in Dublin. It makes party of the geological Research service of India where it specializes in the study of the deposits of coal. It makes a project of railway line in Calcutta and Bombay. Ball is also interested in the Ornithologie and the Anthropologie. In 1881, he teaches geology and mineralogy in Trinity College of Dublin. He becomes later director of the national Muséum of Ireland.
He contributes regularly to Stray Feathers , the ornithological review founded by Al Octavian Hume (1829-1912). Its most known work is Jungle-Life in India. He is member various learned societies: geological Company of London (1874), Royal Society (1882). It receives a title of doctor honoris causa by Trinity College and is made companion of the Ordre of the Bath.
The scientific name of the Small-duke of Andaman ( Otus balli ) was dedicated to him by Al Octavian Hume in 1873.
List partial of the publications
- 1874 : “One the avifauna off the Chutia, Nagpur Division S.W. frontier off Bengal” , Stray Feathers , 2: 355-440.
- 1878 : “From Ganges to the Godaveri, one the distribution off birds” , Stray Feathers , 7: 191-235.
- 1877 : “Notes one birds observed in the area between Mahanadi and Godavari rivers” , Stray Feathers , 5: 410-420.
- 1879 : Jungle life in India, gold the journey and journals off year Indian geologist .
- 1881 : The Diamonds, Coal and Gold off India . Text on line on Archive.org
- 1889: Travels in India by Jean Baptist Tavernier
- 1894: “has broad Description off two spinel rubies, with Persian characters engraved upon them” , Proceedings off the Royal Irish Academy Third Series, vol. 3, No 3, S. 380-400. Text in line
|Random links:||Olivier Mathieu | Metriena | William Lawes | Popular movement of action (Saint-Christophe-and-Niévès) | New criticism | Parents_sans_droites|