The Vagrant Depot was at the time of the colonization of the Mauritius by the the United Kingdom, a prison for vagrants. The vagrants in questions were committed workers stopped without being able to justify their presence at such place. The central deposit of the colony which accommodated 60.000 prisoners between on February 28th, 1864 and 1886.
On the road leading to Pointe with Sands, in the western north of the island, a camp of Cipayes is. It is about an old military station. Y were quartered Cipayes made captive in the India or on English boats, time of the governor Decaen. Two hundreds Cipayes took part in the defense of Isle de France against the English invader in November /décembre 1810. In 1864, the camp of Cipayes becomes Vagrant Depot or deposit for vagrants. The following year, the establishment accommodated young criminals. It accommodated, in 1866,400 guilty children of various offenses. Research undertaken shows that the majority of the men were old men from 15 to 60 years. To the closing of the deposit, the prisoners were transferred to the prison from Port-Louis and Beautiful-Basin. It was classified national monument in 1958.
On the frontage of the Vagrant Deposit , one can read there: A.D. 1866 - Vagrant Deposit .
|Random links:||Organetto | Terranova da Sibari | Fortunate Bandeira | Microrégion d' Umarizal | Desired Kadré Ouédraogo | Lac_Mazinaw|