Its inhabitants is called Thouarsais and Thouarsaises.
Thouars was elected flowered Ville and Ville of art and history.
LocalizationThe commune of Thouars is located at the north of the department of the Two-Sevres on a plate which dominates the Rivière named the Thouet (Affluent of the Loire). Close cities (30 to 35 kilometers): Bressuire, Parthenay, Saumur, Loudun.
AccessThouars is located at 50 minutes (by the road) of large the Agglomération S of the West: Niort, Poitiers, Angers. Thouars is served by the Train via its Gare the SNCF.
ToponymyThe name of Thouars comes from Tudae arx (significance: “citadel of Thouet”).
Cité d' origin Gallo-Roman destroyed by Pip the Brief. Sometimes English, sometimes French during the War One hundred Year old, it was definitively attached to France by Bertrand of Guesclin the November 30th 1372.
The Vicomte of Thouars is set up in Duchy-peerage in favor of the Trémoïlle at the 16th century.
Thouars is a Citadelle party Protesting during the wars of religion.
Thouars was briefly occupied by the Vendean ones during the Guerre of the Vendée.
IntercommunalityThe commune of Thouars belongs to the Communauté of communes of Thouarsais and the Pays Thouarsais.
Budget and taxation
With an unemployment rate lower than the national average, Thouarsais has a prosperous economy. The number of temporary is particularly high like that of the seasonal workers, because in particular
AgricultureProduction companies of melon: the two more important producers, the Red Gorges and Divine Ground, represent alone more than 20% of the national production.
The vine growing is also very present. With nearly about thirty fields distributed on more than 750 hectares of vines, Thouarsais can be enorgueillir to have the only AOC Anjou and Saumur of the Two-Sevres.
IndustryThe economic fabric is moreover, at the same time, dense and diversified and the companies are present in many spheres of activities. Industry is made up of SME whose decisional centers are, in major part, buildings. Economic development is there mainly of tradition endogenous, proof of the fidelity of the persons in charge of companies and their confidence in the local economy. Thouars has industrial florets. As examples, let us quote Asselin, Leul Menuiseries, European Compagnie of R.Schisler Packing, Loeul and Piriot, Anett, Sésame, Rivadis, France mushroom, Socoplan… Recently, the competence of economic development was reserved for the Communauté of communes of Thouarsais. It manages nearly ten parks activities whose Talencia and implements, recently, an offensive policy in terms of economic prospection.
Thouars has an appendix of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Two-Sevres.
TourismThouars has a Camping located within a pleasant framework at the edges of the Rivière the Thouet.
Culture and inheritance
CultureThe Museum Henri-Barred: this one shelters in particular a half truck of…
The vault Jeanne d' Arc, place of exposure and diffusion of the contemporary art.
Places and monuments
- the Castle of the dukes of Trémoïlle: the castle, its Orangery, its Vault.
- the Rampart S: The city has important ramparts dating from 12th and 13th centuries and several turns:
- the tower of the Prince de Galles: deposit of vivres to the garrison then prison for the Smuggler S of salt.
- the tower Carries in Prévost (the army of of Guesclin made its entry on November 30th 1372). Rectangular turn of the 12th century when one joined at the beginning of 13th turn style structures Plantagenêt with two turrets sloped at the base.
- the Private mansion of president Tyndo (fine of the 15th century).
- the Mill of Bursting.
- Two church S which is respectively of XVe and 12th centuries: the Saint M3edard's Day Church and L Church Saint-Laon (which contains the tomb of Marguerite of Scotland, first wife of Louis XI). Very beautiful Bell-tower of the 12th century.
- the Imbert park, flowered park dominating the valley of Thouet.
Equipment or services
- Com' Network drunk managed by the the Community of communes of Thouarsais.
EducationThe city has several schools
- three Collège S:
SportsIf Thouarsais is famous for its strong associative tradition, the sport is particularly present there. With more than one hundred of clubs, one counts more than 10.000 sporting practitioners, that is to say an inhabitant on two, including 6.000 bachelors. Thus the Communauté of communes of Thouarsais is undoubtedly one of the most sporting territories of Poitou-Charentes. Regularly, the Thouarsais sportsmen are distinguished, as well in the individual sports as collective. If the Football were for a long time an engine, and this, in reference to its origin cheminote and continuous to dominate the local sporting life, many sports are today under fires of the slope, with the very strong support of the communities and Thouarsaises companies.
Personalities related to the commune
- Jean-Hugues Anglade (1955 -), actor
|Random links:||Nantong | Urdens | Integral natural reserve of the Nimba Mount | Ken Uston | Nanunanu I Ra | Gershom_ben_Judah|