Thor ( Þórr in Old norrois) or Donar in Vieux high German is the Germanic god of the thunder.
MythologyIn the Scandinavian Mythology, Thor is the son of Odin, wire of the incarnation of the ground, Jord. He is the husband of Sif and the father of Modi (fury) and of Thrúd (strength). He is the father of Magni (the force) with the giant Járnsaxa (equivalent of Sif according to Snorri Sturluson).
The house of Thor is called Thrudhvangr (Field of strength). It resides at it in an immense room, named Bilskirnir (scintillating Glare).
Thor is a very powerful warrior of a colossal force. Its magic belt ( Megingjord ) increases its force further: the more it tightens it, the more it becomes powerful. It has a hammer of war called Mjöllnir , manufactured by two named dwarves Eitri and Brokk under the orders of Loki. This hammer always returns in its hand after having struck. To handle its extreme handle, it uses iron gloves.
It crosses the sky using its tank drawn by two named magic goats Tanngnjóst (Teeth grinçantes) and Tanngrísnir (Teeth étincelantes).
It is strongest of the men and the gods. He is thus the defender of Midgard and the guard of the gods and the men against the giants. In that, it is one of the most venerated gods. Thor is the god of the storm, but contrary to Týr, the god of justice, he is also the god of the combat to the body with body and martial arts. Odin supplements the warlike trinity as a god of the war and the victory.
Thor was most popular of the Scandinavian gods. He was the god preferred of humble and it was also with him that the young grooms asked for the blessing.
Its influence was so strong that the Christians last affubler Saint Olaf of a Hache to point out the Thor god.
Thor with its hammer Mjöllnir is the guard of the Forgeron S, of the craftsmen and of the Paysan S, it is one of wire of Odin and always venerated today per pagan number of or néopaïen S of Northern Europe (mainly Germanic and Scandinavian). Its worship is official in certain countries like the Denmark, the Iceland, the Norway.
NowadaysIn Danish, like in Norwegian and Swedish, Torsdag (Thursday), is the day of Thor , and Torden means Tonnerre in Danish.
In the same way, in English, its name was used for Thursday (Thursday), and Thunder (Tonnerre). It names Donner in German, which gave Donnerstag (Thursday) and Donner (Tonnerre, dunder in Swedish, and donder in Dutch, where Thursday says donderdag ). Let us note that in French, the Thursday is the day of Jupiter , equivalent of Thor in the Roman Mythologie.
- It is a character, under the C-W communication “To give”, of the Gold of the Rhine of Richard Wagner.
- the character of Thor is taken again since the Sixties in the cartoons of Marvel Comics.
- the series Stargate SG-1 uses the god Thor like a member of the race of the Asgards, extraterrestrial which are made pass for gods, for benevolent ends towards certain not very advanced people.
- Thor is also the main character of a Japanese manga gathering different the gods from mythology of the whole world, he is with research various objects.
- Thor is also a new module for the next version of the software of MAO Reason, it acts of a synthetizer under development: semi-modular with oscillators and filters and a matrix of modulation.
- Thor is a god in the play strategy real-time Age Off Mythology. It belongs to the three Scandinaves gods of the play: Thor, Odin and Loki.
- the hammer of war used by Thor is taken again by Bryan Perro, a Québécois author, in his series of books Amos Daragon . It is Béorf, the man-animal, which makes use of it.
- This hammer is also used by R.A. Salvatore in its fantastic series of the black elf Drizzt Do' Urden (collection Forgotten Realms ). It names Aegis Fang and belongs to Wulfgar, young barbarian captured with the natural combat, wire of Beorngar and spiritual sons of Bruenor Battlehammer, the dwarf and king de Mithril Hall which conceived Aegis Fang.
- the name of the hammer of Thor " Mjöllnir" is included in the videoludic saga HALATION. This therme means in this plays the ultra-sophisticated armor of the master chief.
- " Mjollnir" also finds itself in the form of powerful item in a mode of Warcraft III, named EQUIPPED (Defense off the ancients), at Blizzard.
|Random links:||District of Belleh | Meridian line of Greenwich | Cut clubs champions African 1967 | Transport in Greenland | Electoral calendar | James_Hepburn,_4ème_comte_de_Bothwell|