Localities and variations
- in the canton of the Salvetat-sur-Agout :
Strawberry-on-Agout and Soulié;
- in the Canton of Saint-Pons-of-Thomières (district of Béziers) :
- in the Canton of Angles (Arrondissement of Castrate, Département of the Tarn, area the Midday-Pyrenees) :
- in the Canton of Lacaune (district of Castrate, etc) :
- in the Canton of Murat-on-Vèbre (district of Castrate, etc) :
HistoryThe settlement of the commune goes back to Xéme century.
General informationThe Green Guide gives following description of it: Estival station perched on a headland dominating the confluence of the Vèbre and the Agout. Its name evokes the time (11th and 12th S.) where prelates, abbots, commanders based “new cities” on their grounds to ensure the development of it. The “hosts” of these “Sauveté S” received a house and a small holding. Later, of the economic reasons and soldiers the ecclesiastical authorities and the lords to found led country houses.
- Lake of Raviège
Au departure of Salvetat, a road makes the turn of the lake of Raviège. One can reach at the edge of this vast storage reservoir (450 ha) the beach of Bouldouïres close of Salvetat (supervised bathe, bases nautical, water skiing, sailing ship…) then, crossing the stopping, one makes the turn of the lake by Right Bank, while returning by left bank.
Posé in the middle of the forest of beeches and fir trees, the lake of Raviège makes the happiness of the bathers and impassioned of veil. A nautical base makes it possible to rent pedal boats, canoes, boats, etc the beach of Bouldouïres, located just beside the nautical club, is supervised in July and August. On the banks, a crowd of pedestrian paths and VTT furrow wood. Fishing constitutes another leisure very apprécié.
It is a stopping EDF which is at the origin of the lake. it retains water of Agout on a surface of more than 400 hectares and 12km length. The height of the building exceeds 35m and has two vocations: electrical production and control of the flow of the rivère Agoût. The name of the lake comes from the hamlet of Raviège which was absorbed at the time of the setting in water of the stopping in 1957.
Dans an austere landscape, the Office at one time fell in a cascade impressive 200 m on gigantic granitic blocks before tumbling down in the Jaur. Since the construction of the hydroelectric stopping which feeds the power station of Riols, the cascade is impoverished but the site preserves all its size.
Personalities related to the commune
- Water of Salvetat,
- Stopping EDF,
- the water level of Ravièges “Bouldouïres” accommodates thousands of holiday makers the summer.
- the Black Virgin of Saint Etienne de Cavall
- old church Saint-Etienne-of-Cavall (current vault of the cemetery), dating from the 4th quarter of XIe century, altered at XVe, XVIe and XIXe centuries. Registered on the additional inventory of the historic buildings on November 29th, 1976.
- the medieval city, the city left in heritage remarkable vestiges including including one Romance Chapelle, and a bridge of 12th. The old village conceals beautiful vaults with the tower of Cazal. Classified among the more beautiful villages of France, Salvetat offers beautiful roofs of Ardoise which are rolled up out of snail around the Clocher of the church.
lanes of the old village
- the Saint-Etienne bridge, on the Vèbre. Registered voter on the additional inventory of the historic buildings on January 31st 1964.
- the Lake (Canoe the summer)
- Inscribed menhirs
Common of Herault
Site of the tourist office
|Random links:||Vaulnaveys-le-Bas | Adam Ashley-Cooper | With each one its destiny | Bowen (crater) | Point of view (weekly) | Ireton,_Iowa|