The Bay of Biscay
The the Bay of Biscay is part of the Atlantic Ocean northern which borders two European countries:
- the France by the west, where it extends from the Brittany to the Yrénées-Atlantiques
- the Spain by north (" Cantabric Sea "), where it skirts the coasts of the Basque Country until the Galicia
CharacteristicsThe Golfe covers a surface of approximately 225 000 km ² and its maximum depth reached 4 735 Mr.
Its nameIts name varies according to provinces and country:
- Spain: Golfo of Vizcaya (Castilian name = gulf of Biscay), covering the whole of the gulf, but sometimes applying only to its Basque part. He is also known by the expression Mar Cantábrico (Castilian name = sea Cantabrique) applying to his southernmost part bordering north of the Spain. The Romans had baptized it Sinus Cantabrorum (the ocean of Cantabres) to but the Carte of Peutinger is marked " Aquitanicus" sine; that is to say " Gulf of Aquitaine".
- Basque Country: Bizkaiko Golkoa (Basque name)
Its French name comes from the old province which it bordered: the Gascogne.
RiversIt is the outlet of several rivers (north in the south)
WindsThe strong winds of the North-West which traverse it originate in the low pressures centered on the British Isles and the the North Sea, combined with the Anticyclone of the the Azores.
- the important formation of waves along the littoral supports the practice of the Surf on the stations of the Côte of Money and the Basque Côte.
- the gulf is the framework of the race the Solitaire of the Barber
- the gulf has fishing resources supporting fishing
- the intra-European Cabotage is an important activity of the gulf;
- Presence of many seaside resorts, of which most famous are: La Baule, Sand-with Olonne, Royan, Arcachon, Biarritz, Saint-Sebastien
FaunasThe Gulf was the habitat during the summer of a strong population of Dolphins which seems to have given up the area at the summer 2007.
- port commercial of Brest
- port commercial of Lorient
- Port authority of Nantes-Saint-Nazaire
- Port authority of the La Rochelle
- Port authority of commercial Bordeaux
- port of Bayonne
Nds-nl: Golf van Biskaaje
|Random links:||Bourg-saint-Pierre | Maus Brothers Holding | Marie-Antoinette queen of France | Score Top of the Mount to the Priest | Wexford Youths FC | Certificat_universitaire_supérieur_dans_l'éducation|