The inhabitants of the commune name the Fléchois .
The Arrow is located on the Loir. The Arrow is also placed on the Méridien of Greenwich.
Localities and variations
The origin of the name the Arrow would come from the Church Thomas Saint which would have given its name to the city: The Arrow. But another assumption is advanced as for the origin of this name. It consists in saying that the name of the Arrow would come from the successive deformations of the Latin word " fixa" meaning card or pile, pile inserted in the Dormouse, because of constructions on pile, which would have given fièche, then arrow.
With the Middle Ages, the Arrow is a parish of the diocese of Angers and for this reason formed integral part of the province of Anjou and more precisely of the High-Anjou, also named the Maine angevin.
In 1343, salt becomes a state monopoly by an ordinance of the king Philippe VI of Valois, which institutes the gabelle , the tax on salt. The Anjou belongs to the countries of " large gabelle" and includes/understands sixteen special courts or " attics with sel" , of which that of the Arrow.
The Arrow was with the head of a seneschalsy angevine under the Ancien Mode: secondary seneschalsy of the Arrow, dependant on the principal seneschalsy of Angers.
In 1603, Guillaume Fouquet of the Game preserve, lord of the Arrow, then of Holy-Suzanne (Mayenne) and of Angers, friend of Henri IV, contributes to the embellishment and the diversification of the functions of the city angevine. Henri IV founded a college whose direction was entrusted to the Jésuites. Those were expelled in 1762 and the college became a " School of cadets" in 1764, preparatory with the Military academy of Paris.
In 1790, during creation of the French departments, all the north-eastern part of the Anjou, in particular including the Arrow, Lude and Castle-of-Dormouse, is attached to the very new department of the the Sarthe.
In 1808, Napoleon installs the Military academy there.
In 1866, the commune of Holy-Dove is integrated with the Arrow. In 1965, the Arrow absorbs the communes of Saint-Germain-of-Valley and Verron.
“Of mouths to the arrow of money posed out of stake the high point, accosted of two turns of same built of sand; with the chief bent of azure charged with three flowers of gold lily”
Life downtownSeveral markets take seat of center town:
- Wednesday morning, places market
- Sunday morning, places market at corn (vis-a-vis the theater)
The fair of ashes, go the small ones and large children, is held during two weeks, mid-February.
The Arrow is a city known for its fleurissement, and obtains since years the label of the 3 flowers.
The fireworks, re-elected in all the area for its beauty, is held every year on July 13rd at the evening with the lakes of the monnery.
Factory Brodard and Taupin: Impression of the Paperbacks (Harry Potter)
- Impress Packaging Metal: Food metal packing (aluminum, steel)
- many other companies is already installed in country fléchois: Medion France, CDMC Industry, ADREXO, ARENA, Genot, SFR, and full with others…
Equipment and infrastructures:
- 2 public colleges and 1 private
- 6 public elementary schools and 3 nursery schools and private primary educations
- 8 public nursery schools
- 1 College of Mainstream education and Technological college and 1 Vocational school
- 1 private College
- 1 Orientation and Information center
- 1 sports complex (shooting with the arc, sprint covered, better wall of climbing of the area, jump to the pole covered…)
- 4 gymnasia
- Public swimming pool including/understanding 2 basins covered and 2 basins of summer
- 1 inter-commune watery center in construction
- 6 football fields
- 2 riding schools
- 1 bowling
- pedestrian Course through the forest and around the lakes
- Club of shooting to the arc (famous: B.Chevet 3 times champion of France…)
- Club of badminton
- Football club (Racing club fléchois)
- Club of tennis shoe
- Club of tennis (11 cours separated in an estival site and a covered site)
- Room Coppélia (600 sea-green)
- Room Printania (300 sea-green)
- All the local cinemas, which count with them a whole a capacity of 220 sea-green.
- Park of marketing activities Monnerie (clothing, restoration, furnishing, gardening, hypermarket…)
- animated Center and Water level history
- and bases leisures Monnerie
- Public library (more than 50.000 works)
- Recreational centres
- Club banked-up bed
- Cinéma 2 rooms (its THX)
- Festival of spectacles of street " Affranchis" in July (3rd French festival after Châlon-sur-Saône and Aurillac)
- Game library
- Arts center Carroi which proposes the cultural season of the city (2005: Elie Semoun, 2006: Roland Magdane, 2007: To divide into volumes Sisley…)
- Many clubs or workshops: pottery, diving, theater…
- Tourist office ***
- One of the largest zoo of France, in the middle of a natural and timbered site, the zoo of the Arrow in the past zoo of the Red Hillock
- One of the six military academies of France, the Military academy, creates by Henri IV, visits
- Moulin of the bruère, is the last mill in fFrance to manufacture blocks of ice.
- Lakes of Monnerie
- Gourmet restaurant the Four Season old Mill, Relai Cicero ***…
- Theater of the corn exchange (the small theater), completely renovated in 1999, this theater with Italian obtained the ribbons of the inheritance in 2001.
- Plus of 200 hotel rooms
- 3 camp-sites distributed in the country fléchois, of which that of the gold Road ***, with the Arrow, which is the camp-site more visited of all the valley of the Dormouse.
- Bowling (8 tracks) and laser range.
- creative Pole, 2 specialized stores in creative leisures
- an aerodrome (first flights…)
- Picardy Jean or " the Picard" Abbot; (July 21st, 1620 - July 12th, 1682), French astronomer and priest
- Lazare de Baïf (1496-1547): diplomat, abbot, poet and humanistic
- Jacques Bouillaut: naturalist and founder of the zoo of the Arrow (1946)
- Jean de Beaugency: First lord of the Arrow
- Jerome Royer, sior of Dauversière (1597-1659): Man at the origin of the departure of the colonists for the foundation of a city on the island of Montreal, “Marie City”, become since Montreal
- Jean-Baptiste Lemire (1867-1945): type-setter and leader buried with the Arrow
- Léo Delibes: type-setter, author of Lakmé and Coppélia
- Rene Descartes (1596-1650): raise Royal College, which will become the military national Academy
- Paul d' Estournelles de Constant (1852-1924): Diplomat, deputy, senator
- Paul Gauthier (1914-2002): theologist and humanistic
- Henri IV: his/her parents, Jeanne d' Albret and Antoine of Bourbon would have conceived it with the Arrow, in the castle of his/her grandmother, Francoise d' Alençon
- Marie Pope-Carpantier (1815-1878): organizing of the first nursery schools
- Alain Pellegrini (1946): major general
- Marquis de Turbilly: agronomist
- Guillaume Fouquet of the Game preserve: officer and friend of Henri IV
- Anne-Marie Chassaigne, known as Liane of Pougy is a dancer and courtesan of the Belle Time.
- François-Theodore Latouche, former mayor, deceased in 1861, to which was set up by public subscription, in 1862, a mausoleum, representing the city of the Arrow crying the missing. This monument, works of the sculptor Eugene-Louis Lequesne, is visible with the cemetery Saint Thomas.
- Paul d' Estournelles de Constant (1852-1924), diplomat, Nobel Prize of peace in 1909.
Tourist monuments and places
Notre Dame Vault of the Virtues : built at the time Gallo-Roman, bears the name of Ouen Saint, in XIVe century, takes to the name of Saint Barthelemy, at the XVIIe century, the Jesuits restore it (1644/1674). It then takes the current name of Notre Dame of the Virtues. One can discover there his Romance porch of the end of XIe century (protected by a hood from XVIIe), his door of the “Moslem warrior” (1470), his splendid mural woodworks (XVIe), his decorated ceiling (1644), the pulpit of XVIIe.
the military national Academy , institution created by the king Henri IV in 1603 in an important house of family that it held of her grandmother, the Duchesse of Alençon and which shelters today in her walls one of the 6 military colleges of France. This monument, become historical, is located within a framework of classical architecture and is appeared as three large courses successive which the imposing stature of the church Saint-Louis dominates (1607). Work followed a plan worked out by Louis Métezeau with courses in row, about of the same size. Chief of work of the father Etienne Martellange, work is completed in 1653 by the construction of the door of honor, with on the pediment, the bust of Henri IV. At the time of the visit of the building, it is the gate of honor, different the courses, the garden with the Frenchwoman, the library, and especially the Saint-Louis church and its fabulous light which hold the attention.
the Zoo of the Arrow , created in 1946 by Jacques Bouilleau, naturalist, is the oldest private park of France. It gathers 1200 animals belonging to 150 species out of 14 hectares. The zoo of the Arrow takes part in the Program European of Breeding of Species Threatened (E.E.P.) since 1989
Religious heritageThe Arrow counts 4 religious buildings:
- the church St Thomas
- the church co. Dove
- the church of German St of the Valley
- the Vault of the Virtues (not of celebrations)
- , Web site
- , Web site
- Common of the Sarthe
- Official site of the city of the Arrow
- Official site of Racing Club Fléchois
- the Arrow on Wikitravel
- the Arrow on the site of the national geographical Institute
- the Arrow on the site of INSEE
- the Arrow on the site of Quid
- Localization of the Arrow on a chart of France and communes bordering
|Random links:||Peugeot 1007 | 182 (number) | Painting hiding place | Clase de azul | Martin O' Malley (journalist) | Fernando Casanova | Sosnowiec|