Antibes Juan-the-Pines (in Occitan Of Provence , Antíbol according to the traditional standard or Antibo according to the Norme mistralienne) is a common French, located in the department of the the Alpes-Maritimes and the area Provence-Alp-Coast of Azure. Its inhabitants is the Antibois (in occitan of Provence antibolencs / antiboulen ).
GeographyAntibes is located at the edge of the the Mediterranean, to 205 km in the east of Marseilles (chief town of area), 23 km in the south-west of Nice (chief town of department), 15 km in the south-east of Grasse (chief town of district) and approximately 10 km in the east of Cannes.
The Brague is thrown in the Mediterranean on the territory of the commune of Antibes.
The commune consists of several quite distinct districts, whose principal ones are:
- Antibes itself,
- the course of Antibes celebrates for its rich person residences,
- the Red Cross
- Midsummer's Day
- Nova Antipolis
Antibes gave its ancient name, Antipolis , at an important zone of activities, Sophia Antipolis, located in its surroundings (mainly on the commune of Valbonne), where companies of research and development in the field of the New technologies are gathered.
HistoryAntibes would have been founded with 5th or 4th front century J. - C. by Phocéens of Marseilles, which, according to the Malta-Brown geographer , would have given him its name, Antipolis , because of its “situation on the coast opposite Nice”, completely erroneous assertion insofar as Nikaia were founded after Antipolis . It means actually " city on the coast opposite the Corsica " , the Greeks (Phocéens having borrowed the sea route passing by Corsica and not along the Italic shores).
Antibes was seat of one évêché since the 4th century until in 1244, date on which the episcopal see was transferred to Grasse.
Arrive the Grimaldi, génoise family allied of the Angevins and which was of this fact massively present in Eastern Provence. Among those, Luc and Marc Grimaldi, wire of Antoine, had advanced funds with the Pape of Avignon which could not then refund its debt. Consequently, the Grimaldi brothers accepted the stronghold of Antibes - the most beautiful port of the area - and there made stock in 1384.
The Dédition of Nice of 1388 brought a border to the doors of Antibes. During the competitions enters and Charles Quint, the efforts of fortifications intensified. They were continued until the end of the reign of Henri IV. This last had repurchased the city in 1608 with the Grimaldi d' Antibes, which then settled with the castle of Cagnes until the French revolution. This branch is extinct today, however a collateral branch, the Grimaldi de Puget, survives to him.
The dismantling of the fortifications of Antibes started during the 19th century, parallel to an increasing urbanization in direction of the interior of the grounds and course of Antibes. In same time was created, in 1882, the Seaside resort of Juan-the-Pines.
During the Second world war, the inhabitants of the city underwent an episode of the Régime of Vichy, the strong Square was used as Center of Gathering from Abroad.
Economic historyMalta-brown paid, in 1882, whereas the city was populated only 6 752 inhabitants, is the tenth of its current population, a mainly agricultural economy: gardens, vines, orchards, initially turned towards the culture of the Tobacco, but also of the olive-tree, the mulberry tree (for silk), of the orange tree and the flowers and plants odoriferous.
It brought back moreover marketing activities of wood, draperies, fish salted, wines, perfumery, olive oils, oranges, fishings, citrons, figs, nectarines and grains.
It quoted some rare activities Industrie it: mills with oil, gasoline distillings of flowers, factories of vermiculation and pastes of Italy, potteries, saltings, articles of navy.
Concerning the port activity, Malta-Brown said that the port received 50 to 60 ships annually, and that its coastal traffic was from 150 to 200 ships measuring 7 000 with 8 500 barrel X.
HeraldicBlasonnement of the traditional weapons of the town of Antibes:
“Of azure, with a money cross confined of four flowers of gold lily, with the lambel with three hanging of mouths, stitching on the cross, with the chief of azure charged with three flowers of gold lily. ”
as brought back by Malta-Brown, in illustrated France (1882).
Surmounted banner “Fidei Servandae Exemplum 1815” given by Louis XVIII to his “good town of Antibes”, titrates restored on this occasion after being withdrawn by Napoleon, to have closed its doors with the emperor, of return of the isle of Elba, with its unloading with Gulf-Juan.
AdministrationJust as the whole of the District of Fatty, Antibes was detached from the department of the Var in 1860, to form with the Comté of Nice (yielded to France by the king of Sardinia during the unification Italy nne) the department of the Alpes-Maritimes: this explains why the department of the VAr is the only French department bearing the name of a river which does not cross it.
The commune of Antibes Juan-the-Pines, is the second city of the department by its population.
Antibes is divided into three cantons, but is the chief town only of the two first:
- the Canton of Antibes-Biot, formed of part of Antibes and commune of Biot (35 410 inhabitants);
- the Canton of Antibes-Center, formed of part of Antibes (28 502 inhabitants);
- the third part of the commune is attached to the Canton of Vallauris-Antibes-West, without in being the chief town.
Antibes is constitutive, just as eight other communes, but also the department, the area and the State, of the park of Sophia Antipolis, created in 1969, which groups 1 227 company names and 24 550 direct uses distributed on 2 300 hectares of zones of activities.
Moreover, in internal demographic classifications of INSEE, Antibes is attached to the urban Unité and the urban Aire of Nice.
Places and monuments
- the Cape d' Antibes
- the Gone of Provence
- Marineland d' Antibes, created in 1970 by the Count Roland of Poype
- the museum Picasso
- the museum of Archeology
- the Napoleonean museum
- the museum of the Tower which recalls the history of Antibes at the 20th century
- the Phare of Garoupe
- the strong square and the Vauban ramparts of the old ANTIBES
- the Vauban port, one of the largest marina of Europe
- the villa Eden Rock or Hotel of the Cape
- the museum Peynet and of the cartoon, on the creative illustrator of “in love”, known as with Peynet
- the Salé castle where Bonaparte remained. It is located at the bottom of a dead end behind the church of the assumption, which occurred Philippe Rochat.
- Notre-Dame Church of Garoupe. Registered on the Inventory additional of the historic buildings by decree of October 29th, 1926, famous for its many ex-votos.
- Parish church: Holy Spirit vault and Grimaldi turn. Built at the 12th century, on the site of an old Roman temple dedicated to Diane, then altered at the 17th century. Partially classified under the historic buildings by decree of October 16th, 1945.
- Midsummer's Day Vault, with the crossing of the road of Midsummer's Day and the way of Saint-Maymes, 17th century. Registered on the additional Inventory of the historic buildings by decree of December 14th, 1989
- Vault Saint-Bernardin, 14 rue Rostand. Partially of the 16th century. Registered on the additional Inventory of the historic buildings by decree of March 13rd, 1995.
- Fort Square builds semi 16th century under Henri II and developed fine 17th century under Louis XIV by Vauban. Property of the Town of Antibes since 1997, it is opened with the public since 1998. Classified under the historic buildings by successive decrees of the November 7th, 1906 and August 20th, 1913, modified by decrees of the October 17th, 1937 and October 19th, 1976.
- Fountain and Roman column, street Georges-Clemenceau. Registered voters on the additional Inventory of the historic buildings by decree of March 31st, 1928.
- Castle of Grimaldi, sheltering current the Museum Picasso. XVe and XVIe centuries. Classified under the historic buildings by decree of April 29th, 1928.
- Vestiges of the aqueduct of Clausonnes, in a private property, with the locality “Small valley of Fuguerret”, with horse on the commune of Valbonne. Registered voters on the additional Inventory of the historic buildings by decree of July 25th, 1936.
- not dated Vestiges, of an enclosure gréco-Roman, in a private property. Registered voters on the additional Inventory of the historic buildings by decree of February 16th, 1939.
- Country house of Roy and its gardens, property of a privately held company, which occurred Jules-Greek. Building dating from the XVIIIe century, partially protected. Registered voter on the additional Inventory of the historic buildings by decree of June 6th, 1988. Gardens created in 1927. Registered voters on the additional Inventory of the historic buildings by decree of February 8th, 1990.
- Headlight of Garoupe, peninsula of the course of Antibes. Built on the site of an old headlight of 1837 destroyed in 1944. Indexed by the historic buildings, without being protected.
- Salted Castle, hidden at the bottom of a dead end behind the church of the Assumption and the city Laval avenue Philippe Rochat. Bonaparte remained there in 1794 when it ordered the Army of Italy and the painter Joseph Vernet carried out his work " Port Of antibes" , visible with the National museum of the Navy in Paris and copy proposed with Marineland, of this strategic place before the invasion of the concrete on the Riviera.
- deeds of partnership of the commune since 1307,
- registers of deliberations of the council of city since 1412,
- parochial registers since 1564,
- the accounts trésoraires since 1558,
- acquisitions of communal property and their administration since 1485,
- of the documents concerning the churches, vaults and cemeteries since 1693, as well as the laundrettes, fountains and aqueducts since 1700,
- of the document concerning to the military past of the city ......
Modern Files (going from 1790 to 1945):
- registers of the Civil statue,
- cadastres since 1824,
- relative files with the communal buildings (administrative buildings, school, hospital…), with the ports, with the beaches,
- electoral rolls,
- deliberations of the municipal council,
- budgets and accounts of the city,
- documents relating to the “Great War” and the Second world war, the whole of the road works ......
The contemporary Files start in 1946. They are continuously fed by the payments of the municipal services.
Personalities related to the commune
- Alphonse Allais, Mrs., widow of Maurice Bertrand, is buried there with the Cemetery of Rabiac, as his/her daughter Marie-Paule Allais.
- Jacques Audiberti (1899-1965), French writer, born in Antibes
- Nicolas de Staël, painter, spent the ten last years of its life to Antibes
- Christophe Gans, French realizer, born in Antibes in 1960
- Edmond Lahaye, (1886-1981) Painter, draftsman, chansonnier, journalist, ceramist, illustrator.
- Julien Lepers, tele presenter, passed all its childhood to Antibes
- Veust Lyricist, rappor close to Chiens of Straw, of its true name Samuel Marlin.
- Claude Monet, (1840-1926), Peintre who resided at Antibes in 1888 and which made many sights of the beach of Salis and of Garoupe.
- Raymond Peynet, (1908-1999), illustrator celebrates with the " in love with peynet" lived part of its life with Antibes.
- Pablo Picasso, which was seen offering opportunity of installing its workshops with the Grimaldi castle in 1946. In 1957, Picasso receives officially the title “Citizen of honor of the town of Antibes”. In 1970, the Grimaldi Castle becomes Musée Picasso. One can find approximately 245 works of the artist there.
- Honore Charles Reille, (1775-1860) general of Napoleon who will fight under his orders from Toulon to Waterloo. It will receive the stick of Marshal of France in 1847 Louis-Philippe pennies.
- Honore Tournely (1658-1729), French theologist, born in Antibes
- Guillaume Musso, writer born in Antibes in 1974
- Graham Greene remained there of long years, which occurred Pasteur
- Festival Jazz has Juan (See vidéos)
In the beginning this festival was spread out over nine evenings. The program comprised the Great Finale of the Tournament of Jazz 1960 organized by the French Broadcasting-Television which proceeded the inauguration day before. It is the French quintet Arrigo Lorrenzi which gained the cut of the tournament amateur but not being able to be present to receive their price they were classified except competition. During the Festival the musicians in competition were to occur in two different places: in the enclosure of the Extremely Square stage and in the Gould Pine forest. But as of the service of July 10th, 1960 given in homage to Sidney Bechet in the Pine forest, the organizers as the musicians privileged this site. Thus all the services proceeded with the Pine forest. The winners of this first edition were the trio Pim Jacobs, Win Overgaauw and Rita Reys representing Holland. Prices were also allotted to the orchestras of Yugoslav and Hungarian Radio-television. As an individual Raymond Court of the Swiss orchestra Pierre Bouzu gained the title of " better European trumpet player of Jazz. The Jazz festival of Juan the Pines will acquire a world notoriety thus, becoming most prestigious after that of Newport. In front of the success gained by this first edition, the Jazz festival of Juan the Pines was renewed every year. The demonstration knew a recession in the years 1971 - 1972, period during which the town of Nice granted the festival, but since 1973 the festival took again in Juan the Pines. Since it continues to take place each year in July.
- the Orchestra of Harmony Antibes Juan-The-Pines - Riviera - (Web site)
Musics in the middle of Antibes (at the beginning of July) Opera/Classical music
the festival of Sacred art from January to Mars
World Festival of the Underwater Image (Web site)
Five poles France elites are installed in Antibes Juan-the-Pines: swimming, the sail, the gymnastics, the trampoline and the acrosport and the stroke with palms.
the stroke with palms
the sporting radiation of the town of Antibes Juan-the-pines is also dependant with the Olympique of Antibes Juan-the-Pines (Basket-ball), champion of France to 3 recoveries and today in NM1
the Athlétisme makes party of the life of the residents of Antibes with five races organized on the commune: 10 km of the Rotary drill, the cross-country race of the ASOA, rises of Garoupe, treads of most famous Semboules and being " to run for a fleur" joining together more than 2000 runners.
the automobile sport with the French sleeve of the European championship of the rallys, with great names with the prize list: (Loeb, Jean-Joseph, Auriol, Darniche, Nicolas, Fancy, Baroni, Delecourt,…)
- Ålborg, Denmark
- Kinsale, Ireland
- Newport Beach (California), the United States
- Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany
- Eilat, Israel
- Desenzano LED Kept, Italy
- Olympie, Greece
|Random links:||Georges Enesco | Gums | RÃo de marea, promontorio de Wilsons | Brown seagull | Saint-Crepin-Ibouvillers | Valley of the Ten | Thabo_Mbeki|