It forms a small agglomeration of 10.029 inhabitants with the communes of Beaulieu-the-Loaches, Tool bag-on-Beaulieu and Perrusson, in the shade of Tours to which it is connected by FOR THE THIRD TIME.
Its inhabitants is called the Lochois , Lochoises .
GeographyLoaches is a surmounted medieval small town of the oldest keep of Europe built with the Early middle ages by Foulques III Nerra.
The primitive city of Loaches is quoted by Gregoire de Tours under the name of Lucca. The site was already occupied by the Romans who placed it at the border of the province of Aquitaine. Some traces of this time remain: one found with the place says Conrnillé ( Corniliacus or villa of Cornelius) of the gold coins of the Roman epoch; the Roman Aqueduc of Contray, whose pillars are still upright, testify to an ancient farm; finally the stoup of Collegial the Saint-Bear comes from a Gallo-Roman column dedicated to the gods of Olympe.
The christianization of Lucca was marked by the establishment at the fifth century, of a church dedicated to holy Marie-madeleine, by Saint Eustoche (bishop of Turns). In 491, Ursus of Cahors known under the name of Holy Bear , establishes a monastery in the northern part of the current medieval city and built a mill on Indre for the monks. With its death in 508, Senoch succeeded to him the head of the monastery, it gave its name to a nearby village: Saint-Senoch.
In 742, the Mayors of the Palate, Carloman (wire of Charles Martel) and Pépin the Brief (future king of the Francs from 751 to 768) fought battle against Hunald, Duc of the Gascons and Aquitanian and seized Loaches. In 840, Charles the Bald person names Alalande, one of his lieutenants, governor of Loaches. Its grand-daughter Roscille Maria with Foulque Ier of Anjou, in particular bringing Loaches in dowry to the county of Anjou (887).
At the 10th century, the ceaseless quarrels which opposed the counts of Blois to the counts of Anjou, were at the origin of the rise of the castle of Loaches which played from now on a paramount role in this power struggle. The angevin Geoffroi Grisegonelle is established in Loches and makes build a church. His/her son Foulques Nerra made build the enormous always visible quadrangular keep nowadays. This keep belonged to a military device angevin of fortifications encircling the town of Tours, object of all its covetousnesses. It is his/her son, Geoffroi II Martel, which in the long term carried out the construction of this imposing building.
In 1249, the seigniory of Loaches definitively passed to the royal field after Saint Louis had bought it with that of Châtillon-on-Indre for 600 pounds. Until the end of the old mode, the Capétiens indicated lieutenants of the king , governors of the fortified town of Loaches, and in particular the dynasty of Baraudin, who followed one another throughout the 18th century.
In 1195, after the death of Henri II Plantagenêt, lord of Anjou and king of England and profiting that Richard Lion-hearted is retained prisoner in Austria since his return of the Crusades, Philippe Auguste intrigue with Jean without Ground, the brother of Richard Lion-hearted and is made give Loches. As soon as it is released, the impetuous Lion-hearted runs and takes again the castle of Loaches. Ten years after, in 1205, Philippe Auguste takes his revenge. The seat lasts one year. Loaches is from now on prison of State and the kings endeavor to make it impregnable.
In 1249, the seigniory of Loaches passed definitively to the field royal royal Domaine French after Saint Louis had bought it with that of the Chatillon on Indre for 600 pounds. Until the end of the old mode, the Capétiens have indicated lieutenants of the king , governors of the fortified town of Loaches, and in particular it dynasty of Baraudin, which followed one another throughout the 18th century.
At the 15th century, Agnes Sorel, favorite from Charles VII, comes to live Loches. She gives up the court of Chinon, where the Dolphin (future Louis XI) created to him many difficulties. Indeed, this last does not support the relation between Agnes and her father the king Charles VII. It estimates that his/her mother is ridiculed and has more and more evil to accept it. One day it lets burst its rancour and continues, the sword with the hand, unfortunate Agnès in the parts of the royal house. Agnès Sorel takes refuge in Loches and Charles VII, courroucé per such an amount of impertinence, drives out his son of the Court and sends it to control the Dauphiné. At the end of May 1429, after its victory in Orleans, Jeanne d' Arc comes to meet Charles VII to convince it to be made crown “Noble Dolphin, more do not hold all these councils, if many and so long, thus come as fast as possible to Rheims to take the crown to which you have right
The town of Loaches knows its golden age during the Rebirth, the Chancellery (finished in 1551) and the Town hall (built by the middle-class men of the city with the agreement of François Ier) testify some. At that time Loches was “equal in dignity to Tours and Chinon”
The day before the Revolution, Loche is declining, in party because of the royal Pont of Turns which diverted traffic towards Tours with the detriment of Loaches, and the population fell in on this side 4000 inhabitants. In 1789, the royal prison of Loaches lost of its importance and one counts nothing any more but three prisoners. The revolutionary movement is followed by the middle-class and the clergy buildings, the Chanoine Pothier making burn, in 1791, it sinister cage of Balue, the following year the commune elects its first mayor, the Picardy-Ouvrard citizen. Under Convention, the prison lochoise, regarded as surest of the department of Indre-et-Loire, knew a renewal of activity, one had to requisition the royal Home and the houses of the canons (in addition to the dungeons of the keep) to place all the prisoners.
The blazon of the city appears only at the 15th century and the loaches (fish) which appear in it are only a " play of mot" to refer in the name of the city (it is not because there are fish on the blazon which the city is called Loches but it is because the city is called Loches which one put of fish on the blazon).
Listed like Town of Art and History, City flowered and among the Most beautiful Turnings of France (label especially created for Loches), it is very popular today among British who settle many in this part of Touraine, joining again by there with their ancestors Plantagenêt.
EconomyThe economy of the east city strongly turned towards tourism, that is seen in particular by the construction of the residence Pierre & Vacances of Cordeliers, and great work in the center town carried out by the municipality, whose main objective is to develop tourism, in spite of the position of withdrawal of the city compared to the Loire Valley. The industrial park of Vauzelles concentrates some industries, working for the majority in the electronics of power and the precision mechanics. In the past, principal industry was the culture in cellar of cultivated mushrooms, which employed 600 people with her apogee. These various companies were delocalized in 1994. The community of commune endeavors to attract companies with Loches, some came to settle with the place says Corbery in the old canning facility to mushrooms.
Loaches, plus big city of the South-east of the department of Indre-et-Loire is an attractile pole which has the only hypermarket and the only college of the south Touraine.
- Gonzague Saint-Breaking, writer, was city council man.
- Jacques Villeret, actor
- Agnes Sorel, mistress of Charles VII, rests from now on with Collegial the Saint-Bear since its transfer of the royal Home in 2005
- Alfred de Vigny, writer whose native house is located 27 rue des Jeux
- Jacques-Elie Lamblardie, engineer, founder of the Polytechnic school
- Louis Delaporte, sailor, explorer and collector
- Fayette, the Marquis of Fayette, from his union with Marie de Noailles, acquired a considerable field going from Reignac-on-Indre to Saint-Hippolyte. With his/her cousin, the Marquis de Lusignan, it had five residences around Loches: the Castle of Azay-on-Indre and the Castle of Follaine with Azay-on-Indre, the Castle of Reignac-on-Indre and the Castle of Vitray with Saint-Hippolyte and the Castle of Epinay with Dolus-the-Dryness.
- Foulques Nerra whose tomb is with Beaulieu-the-Loaches
- Emmanuel Lansyer, painter
- Jacques-Marie Rougé, folklorist, writer, conservative of the museum of the Soil of Loaches (closed)
- Ludovic Sforza, duke of Milan, prisoner of war, died in captivity with Loches in 1508
- Jean Balue, cardinal imprisoned with Loches of 1469 with 1480
- Philippe de Commines, imprisoned in Loches between 1487 and 1489
- Daniel Wilson, appointed Loaches starting from 1876, son-in-law of the President of the Republic Jules Grévy, implied in the Scandal of decorations, died in Loches in 1919
Tourist monuments and places
the Royal Home : Built on the point of the rocky outcrop dominating the valley of Indre, the royal Home is one of the favorite residences of the Valois during the One hundred Year old War. Charles VII sets up a first main building inspired by the military architecture, at the end of the 14th century. Its successors prolong it of a second building whose frontage receives a blazing Gothic decoration of style . Three famous women marked the history of the Royal Home: Jeanne d' Arc, Agnes Sorel, favorite of Charles VII and Anne of Brittany. Opened any L `year except on December 25th and on January 1st. From the 02/01 to the 31/03 and the 01/10 to the 31/12: 9:30 with 17:00. From the 01/04 to the 30/09: 9:00 with 19:00.
- the Royal Door : Only exit giving access to the Citadel. This door dates from 12th and 13th centuries and was supplemented at the 15th century by a body of central building and a terrace with guns. Royal Door, one can enter the Royal City for the visit of the Keep, the Royal Home, Collegial the Saint-Bear and the Lansyer House, or make the turn of the ramparts by the boulevard Philippe Auguste. One can reach the top of the Royal Door by the garden of the Lansyer House, from where the sight on the city is impregnable.
- Collegial the St-Bear : Romance splendor and gothic script built with 11th and 12th centuries, whose mixed style is due to a long construction over two different periods. Its architecture is marked by its polychrome gate carved characters and animals drawn from the bestiary of the Middle Ages and by the two pyramids with eight faces called “dubes”, raised towards 1165. It contains, since April 2005, the marble tomb of Agnès Sorel. It is according to Purple-the-Duke " a building of strange and wild beauty, single in the world "
the House Lansyer : Old residence of the painter Emmanuel Lansyer who exposes objects having belonged to him and other objects relating to the history of Loaches. Opened of the 01/04 to the 02/11 of 10:00 to 12:30 and 14:00 to 18:30. During the holidays of February and Christmas (except the 25/12), of 10:00 to 13:00 and 14:00 to 17:00.
- the Chancellery (Renaissance building open to the public which shelters an exposure on the history of the town of Loaches, Ville of Art and History and the temporary exhibitions) and the House of the Centaur (close dwelling whose frontage is decorated of a relief representing Hercules and a Centaur)
the Tower St-Antoine : Old bell-tower of a church, it acts also as Beffroi of the city. It culminates with 52 meters and offers a good sight of the surroundings of Loaches. Built between 1529 and 1575, it is the only Renaissance belfry of Touraine. It is not opened with the public that at the time of the Days of the Inheritance
- the Door of Cordeliers : Opened at the 15th century in the third belt of ramparts of the city, the Door of Cordeliers was provided with two drawbridges crossing the level of the Indre. It let enter the travellers come by the road from Spain. Its name comes to him from the proximity of the convent of Cordeliers (Franciscains).
Career of Vignemont : Old career of extraction of the stones of Micaceous chalk opened with the visit. Presentation and explanation of the methods of extraction of the stones and culture of the cultivated mushrooms, of defenses of the area which came to take refuge in this labyrinth in the event of problems.
Manor of Sansac : small Renaissance castle builds by Louis Prévost de Sansac whose characteristic is an asymmetrical frontage. It is here that François Ier met for the first time Charles Quint. The castle is private.
All this information comes from the official site of the Tourist office of Loaches.
- , to see and Web site
OthersTwo fabrics, allotted to the painter Caravage were found in the Saint-Anthony church. It is of the Pèlerinage of Our Lord with Emmaüs and about the Saint Thomas putting his finger in the wound of Christ . This attribution made by Jose Frèches, eminent expert of Chinese art, did not achieve the unanimity.
At the end of October 2006, burst a polemic following the project of the mayor Jean-Jacques Decamps to install from 50 to 100 cameras of video surveillance in the city for total costs of 100.000€, which started the protests of the socialist minority, and the constitution of a collective, opposed to the project which organized a petition against this sedentary measurement.
December 2nd, 2006, the building sheltering the public library and numerical public space Médiathèque Jacques Lanzmann is renamed.
- Common of Indre-et-Loire
|Random links:||Aïd to el-Kebir | Timidity | Bharrat Jagdeo | Renault Monaquatre | Aryabhata (crater) | Tétracycline|