Acxel is a Synthetizer which was developed and marketed by the company Québécoise Technos of 1987 to 1990.
CharacteristicsAcxel is in fact a Re-synthetizer which enables him to reproduce the sounds but in a different way to the “Sampler (or Échantillonneur S), it is characterized by its capacity to regenerate the sounds rather than to reproduce them after recording. Where the “Samplers” use a converter Analogique/Numérique to record a signal which could be later on read and heard, Acxel after the recording of the signal makes the harmonic Analyze of it and programs its material of synthesis so as to Re-synthesize the sound by means of Oscillateurs Sinus oïdaux. The sound thus parameterized can then be modified or articulated with leisure and in real-time. The acxel was invented by Pierre Guilmette, his design operational was carried out by the Nile Parent, the system was developed by Technos - a company belonging and managed by Pierre Guilmette, the Nile Parent and other partners.
By FFT (“Fast Fourier Transform”, Transformed of Fast Fourier), the sounds recorded in Acxel are peeled in a given number of Sinusoidal Oscillations having Amplitude S and Fréquence S variables represented out of temporal envelopes, Acxel comprises up to 1024 of these oscillators. Once the analysis of signal supplemented, all the oscillations used to characterize the sound can be modified in total or microscopic manner, and that in real-time. For example contrary to the samplers, the main frequency can be carried towards the acute ones without the duration of the sound not being shortened, and vice versa; the articulation makes it possible in addition to modify the structure of the specific sound of manner in answer for example to orders MIDDAY.
Acxel makes it possible to synthesize the sounds from zero. The 1024 oscillators, which are in fact each one of forms programmable (Sines, triangular, square, graphically programmable), can thus be used so much to reproduce sounds in " Additive synthesis of harmonique" , or in sound creation, or combination of both. It is possible to modify the Analysés sounds. A panoply of parameters of orders are available in Real-time, whatever the Origin of the sound:
To draw forms of oscillations by using the matrix with LED by contact with the finger (as in a way different Fairlight CMI by means of graphic table did it and from screen).
- Dessiner Spectrale representation the various parameters of the oscillators is: Amplitude S, Frequency S, Phase S; the whole in Double is for the basic representations and in Orders MIDDAY.
- To draw Double envelopes for each parameter of Oscillators: Amplitudes and Frequencies - Corresponding to the envelopes of bases and the envelopes MIDDAY, in an independent way for each envelope.
- To draw Double envelopes for each total parameter of voice: Volume, FM, “Color”, LFO1, LFO2 - Corresponding to the envelopes of bases and the envelopes MIDDAY. Forms of osccillations of the LFO (Oscillating low frequency).
- the filter named “COLOR” represents a particular digital form of filtering, which applies same manner to 100 Hz or 2000 Hz, therefore independent of the absolute frequency. The cut-off frequency in fact is based on the harmonic rows, therefore relative frequencies of the harmonic elements of a sound given and generated for each note. With the possibility of selecting the harmonic elements which one wants to filter or leave intact (for example the fundamental one). With envelope and programmable curve of filtering (low Master key, Passes high, Passe band, or programmable curve).
- Envelopes FM (Frequency modulation) so accessible and applied to the total structure of the sound.
- Other orders and editions: Interpolation timbrale, Extension or compression of the durations, Orders MIDDAY with programmable response curves, elements out of silencing device, chorus.
DescriptionThe term Acxel constitutes the short cut of “Acoustical element” (Like Pixel for “Picture element”).
Acxel comprises 2 complementary elements: The graphic Console - Grapher" who constitutes the interface user and the case “rack” of the Central processing unit - " Solitary" who contains the material of Synthesis and sound Analysis.
The graphic Console comprises a matrix of 32 by 64 (2048 contact points and of LED S), which particularly distinguishes it from the other systems using of the Screens LCD or CRT. The whole of the parameter setting passes by this pictorial display innovating.
The 16 is the predecessor of Acxel (4 units delivered in 1984, no production of this system was not succeeded, having been replaced by Acxel on the drawing boards at the beginning of 1986. The 16 introduced the concept in more limited form - 64 oscillators and comprised a keyboard.
During its setting in market of 1987 to 1990, Acxel forever be a business success, in particular at its high cost, and a complexity of use. Consequently Acxels are rather rare (approximately 35 units were sold during the period of marketing). In spite of its ambitions, the Re-synthesis of Acxel forever replaced the more traditional samplers/Sampler S. The heritage of innovation of the concepts of Acxel always lives in the modern synthetizers such as VirSyn' S Cube or Camel Audio' S Cameleon 5000.
- Technos Axcel At Music Thing
- has video demonstration off the Technos Axcel one YouTube
- Jacques Chabot has music to compose who uses Technos Axcel
|Random links:||Alsophila (butterfly) | Season NFL 1931 | Gaujac (Gard) | Takehito Koyasu | Park Hatchet | Mur_de_Carol|