The town of Talence shelters the Faculty of Science of Bordeaux (Université Bordeaux 1) and of many schools (IUT, Business schools, Écoles of engineer and architecture).
GeographyTalence is located in the south of the agglomeration of Bordeaux, and is surrounded by the towns of Bordeaux, Pessac, Bègles, Gradignan and Villenave d' Ornon.
The territory of the current town of Talence was covered a long time with forests in which some hamlets were disseminated. The presence of these Forêt S would be at the origin of the name “Talence”. This last would be indeed derived from the word “Catholic student” which means “cut of the Bois”. It is in XIIIe century that names like “Talanssa appear”, “Talencia”, “Talance”… The true settlement of Talence, which was a place constantly devastated (devastations and plunderings which had with the continual wars), date of the XVIIe century. The proximity of Bordeaux and the presence of three commercial main roads become surer (roads of Bayonne, Toulouse and Tests It) attracted the middle-class rich person of Bordeaux. Many middle-class men of Bordeaux made build Château X and splendid houses with Talence (like the Banquier Charles Peixotto). Talence will keep its rural vocation however. It is only at the end of the XIXe century and the XXe century that Talence affirms its urban character and will see developing many industrial activities: metallurgy, boiler making, chemistry, slaughter-houses, avionics, shoes, food (cookie factory, chocolate factory…). From years 1970-1980 these industries will disappear or be delocalized on other sectors of the Urban community of Bordeaux to leave the place to residential buildings. One of the last to be left will be Cartonnage S of France.
The blazon of Talence “ Of gold, with tiller of sinople posed on a terrace of same; with sand Wild boar defended and lit mouths stitching on the stems ”
“Tiller” (side growths) evoke the name of Talence (speaking Armes) and recall that the city was formerly covered with forests. The wild boar symbolizes the hunting which the rich person of Bordeaux of the time came to practice on the territory of current Talence.
The town of Talence would currently count 40.700 inhabitants (2004, estimate of INSEE), his population is in big rise compared to the censuses of 1999 (37 210 inhabitants), 1990 (34 485 inhabitants) and of 1982 (34 692 inhabitants). This increase is explained by the excess of births compared to the deaths (3955 births against 2602 deaths between 1990 and 1999), but also by a positive migratory balance (+ 0,43% per annum between 1990 and 1999). The presence of the Université of Bordeaux in Talence explains this positive balance, the city attracting many students indeed. Thus 28,7% of the population talençaise are still provided education for against 13% for the remainder of the France. The population is young, 12.964 talençais have between 15 and 30 years is 34,8% of the population compared with 20% in the remainder of the France (figures of INSEE for 1999).
- Pattern of the settlement according to the sex (estimate 2005 of INSEE):
- Pattern of the settlement according to the age (estimate 2005 of INSEE):
The mayor of Talence is Alain Cazabonne (UDF), since 1994.
The town of Talence belongs to the canton of Talence of which it is only and single commune. The general adviser of Talence is Gilles Savary (PS) since March 2004, in addition appointed European since June 1999.
The town of Talence is a town of services, the tertiary sector is very largely majority there, exceeding even the 90% of the active population. Agriculture is quasi absent and industry is very weak in this university town.
Distribution of the credits (1999, INSEE):
Primary sector: 0,1%
- Secondary industry: 9,2%
- Tertiary sector: 90,7%
Unemployment rate: approximately 14% in 1999.
- Castle of Brama (become the castle of the Prince Noir)
- Castle of Thouars (first half of the 13th century)
- Castle Peixotto
- Castle Raba
Part of the university field of Bordeaux is at Talence. The latter shelters in particular the following establishments:
University Bordeaux 1
- School of engineers in mathematical and mechanical modeling
- 3Ecole Nationale Sup3erieure of electronics, data processing and of radiocommunications Bordeaux
- 3Ecole Nationale Sup3erieure of arts and trades
- UFR STAPS and Oenologie of the University Bordeaux 2
- the School of Architecture and Landscape of Bordeaux
- Bordeaux school of management
- Athletics : Talence is an important city in the world of the athletics because it organizes the athletics meeting Décastar , devoted to the combined tests which are the Heptathlon and the Décathlon. This test counts for the world challenge IAAF, which it encloses. The first international female decathlon proceeded there in 2004, Marie Collonvillé obtaining the first world records there.
Like all the cities of the Urban community of Bordeaux, Talence is served by the network TBC which manages the buses and the tram.
Tram : since 2004, the line of the tram (Quincunxes <=> Pessac-Bougnard) serves the city with the following stops:
- Barrier Saint-Genoa (Drunk 9 , 10 , 11 )
- Peixotto ( University Field ) (Drunk 40 , 42 , 35Exp )
- Béthanie ( University Field )
- Arts and Métiers ( University Field ) (Drunk 34 , 35 , 41 , 84 , 21Exp , 35Exp )
Drunk : Talence is served by the lines of following buses:
Bus (Citram Network)
- > Talence - Center , Field Universitaire
- > Talence - Thouars
Famous people born in Talence
- Barbara Schulz, actress, born the May 25th 1972.
- Jose Bove, " altermondialiste" , candidate with the French presidential election of 2007 having obtained 1,32% of the voices to the first turn, born the June 11th 1953.
- Philippe Sollers, writer born the November 28th 1936.
- Prince Henrik, Prince Consort of Denmark born Henri de Laborde de Montpezat the June 11th 1934, husband of the queen Marguerite II of Denmark.
- Olivier Marchal: actor
- Denis Barthe: beater of the group Black Desire
- Florian Marange: side defender of the Of Gironde of Bordeaux F.C
- Site of the town hall.
|Random links:||Period of Wattasside anarchy | Black silky butterfly fish | Continental plate | Universal alliance - universal Christian Church | Fam El Hisn | Ville_de_Londres_de_Wandsworth|