Stephen King is an American writer born the September 21st 1947 with Portland, in the Maine (the United States). He wrote more than 200 texts including more than 50 news of horror or fantastic. He receives in 2003 the medal of the National Book Foundation for his remarkable contribution to the American literature and in 2007 the association of the authors of detective novels American " Mystery writers off America" he decree the title of " Large Master".
King has a great knowledge of the literature of horror, as one can see it in his test Anatomie of the horror which recalls several decades of an interest pronounced for terror through the literature, the cinema, television and the radio. He also wrote works belonging to other kinds like the collections of news Différentes Seasons , or Cœurs lost in Atlantis , and the novels the green line , Eyes of the dragon , and its Magnum opus, the series the Tower sinks . In the Stephen King past wrote under the names of Richard Bachman and John Swithen (only once under this last pseudonym).
Stephen King is two years old when his/her father, Donald Edwin King, give up the marital home. His/her mother, Nellie Ruth Pillsbury, raise only Stephen and her big brother adopted David, under very difficult financial conditions often. The family settles in Durham (Maine), town of origin of Ruth, but also passes from short periods to Fort Wayne (Indiana) and Stratford (Connecticut).
Child, Stephen King was pilot of a traumatisant accident - one of his/her friends was run up against by a train on a railway. The assumption was put forth that this accident could inspire its dark creations and dérangeantes, although King itself refuted this idea.
King went to the elementary school of Durham Elementary then to the college of Lisbon Falls. Young boy he was an assiduous reader of the cartoons published by EC. Comics and in particular of the Contes of the Crypt which were at the origin of its love of the horror. Its scenario of Creepshow will pay homage to these cartoons later. It car-publishes its first news in 1962 using a Machine to roneo that his/her brother used to publish a newspaper Dave' S Rag to which King contributed. King sold its writings to friends but its professors disapproved and forced it to refund what it had gained.
There works then on its first novel, remained unfinished: The Aftermath (1965). The first history which it publishes is In off has Half-World Terror which appears in a Fanzine published by Mike Garrett de Brimingham, Alabama.
From 1966 to 1971, King studies with the university of Maine in Orono. It written there news in a heading entitled King' S Garbage Truck in the magazine of the university Maine Campus , it writes of them three in 1968 and three in 1969. It meets there Tabitha Jane Spruce with which it will marry on January 2nd, 1971. Three children will be born from this union. Its life with the campus shows through in an obvious way in the second part of Hearts in Atlantis , and the particular jobs which it carries out to pay its studies, including one in an industrial laundry, will inspire later its writings like The Mangler and the news Chantier (Stephen King) (under the pseudonym Richard Bachman).
It completes its novel Marche or bad cold as of 1967 but its first novels will appear only during the years 1980 pennies the pseudonym of Richard Bachman.
After having taken down its license of literature (Baccalaureat in arts) in 1970, King teaches English with the college of Hampden, Maine. He and its family lives then in a caravan and he writes fantastic news, which he publishes mainly in male magazines. To buckle its ends of the month, it is constrained to turn over to work with the laundry. These problems, combined with its difficulties of being made publish, lead it to seek a comfort in drink, creating a dependence which will last several years.
It is under these difficult conditions that it starts to write Carrie . But, doubting its talent, it throws soon the manuscript with the dustbin. By miracle, his wife finds it and reads it. Filled with enthusiasm by its discovery, it pushes it to complete the novel.
Beginning of the celebrity
King presents Carrie to an editor in January 1973. The Doubleday editor programs the publication of the novel in 1974 and yields the rights for the edition in book of pocket, generating 200.000 dollars of incomes for Stephen King as of May 1973. This last then decides to stop its career of teacher and to be devoted only to the writing. Carrie is finally published the April 5th 1974. The novel will be adapted to the cinema in 1976 by Brian De Palma. Shortly after the publication of its book, his/her mother dies of a cancer of the uterus. His/her aunt Emrine makes him the reading of the novel before she dies.
In One Writing , King admits that at this time it was often drunk, and even under the influence of drugs for the funeral oration of his/her mother. He also tells that it is what inspired it for the character of the alcoholic father in The Shining even if he did not admit it at the time, even with itself.
Shortly after the exit of Tommyknockers , its family and her friends intervene to make it become aware of its adduction to drugs by emptying in front of him its dustbins which contain, of the beer quills, of the cigarette ends of cigarettes, cocaine, Xanax, Valium, Nyquil, the dextromethorphan and the marijuana. According to what King reported in its memories, there sought then of the assistance and stopped any shape of drug in the end of the year 1980 and remained sober since.
King will never dedicate photographs in person because in its eyes it is something which is reserved to the film stars. However some of its fans received photographs dedicated only by requiring it.
While exploiting the primary fears of people, it connects the novels with success, whose most known That is , Simetierre , The Shining , the Plague , Carrie , Christine , Tommyknockers . Its novels are to be classified in the horror and the Fantastique, the two kinds closely interfering itself in the majority its works. Some of its works do not belong however to this register; let us quote here the Escaped prisoners or Stand by Me .
On the model of Carrie , Stephen King inspired good number of realizers of cinema, in particular Stanley Kubrick (Shining) , John Carpenter (Christine) , David Cronenberg (Dead Zone), Rob Reiner (Stand by me, Misery) and Frank Darabont (the Escaped prisoners, the Green line) .
He likes to create interactions between his books where certain facts, certain characters cross ( Dolores Claiborne and Jessie is an obvious example as well as the diptych Désolation and the Regulators ). The cycle of the Tower Sinks made up of seven volumes is the saga which enables him to connect the majority of its other novels to the same intrigue. Its works having many characters and commonplaces (like the town of CastleRock), the Tower Sinks is a cycle which enables him to bind all these novels to only one reality, rather than to regard its Crossover as anecdotic. One of the characters of King which most frequently returns is, which is one of the incarnations of the evil in several of its works. Examples: the man in black in the Tour Sinks ; the demon in Black House ; the wizard malefic in Eyes of the dragon ; Flagg is also a central figure of the Fléau .
King also wrote under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman . This last “is killed” in 1985, it would then have died of a cancer. Some time later is learned that Bachman and King do only one, and the sales of the works of Bachman explode. King takes again the identity of Richard Bachman for the work the Regulators (1996). The manuscript is presented as discovered by its widow in 1994. This experiment with a “double arts person” inspired in King the novel the share of darkness (1989) in which the pseudonym of a writer takes life.
The Saturday June 19th 1999, Stephen King is victim of a serious accident which has occurred near at his place, in the Maine (the United States). It was reversed by a van whereas it went on the roadside. Suffering from many fractures, there remained hospitalized three weeks lasting which he underwent many surgical operations. It repurchased the vehicle which was at the origin of this accident… to destroy it with blows of mass! Moreover in its saga (the Tower Sinks), it would have been reversed because of a character!
To also note that in the remake of the Hospital and its phantoms (of Lars von Trier) it scénarise the series Kingdom Hospital (thus invited to remember the Kingdom it, ground on which is built the hospital) for American television. King opens the first episode by the accident of an artist (painter, not writer certainly but good…) reversed by a truck whereas it makes its jogging…
He is owner of two radio stations to Bangor. , station of sporting information, and, traditional station of rock'n'roll.
End 2006, the incomes generated by the royalties of its various works are assembled to 40 million dollars per annum.
Reached of a degeneration of the retina, it becomes gradually blind.
- Salem (1975, Salem' S batch )
- Shining, the child light (1977, The Shining )
- Rage (1977, written under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman)
- macabre Dance (1978, Night Shift ) (collection of news)
- the Plague (1978, The Stand ) (first edition, truncated)
- Walk or bad cold (1979, The Long Walk , under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman)
- Dead Zone (or the accident) (1979, The Dead Zone )
- Charlie (1980, Firestarter )
- Cujo (1981)
- Building site (1981, Roadwork , under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman)
- Anatomy of the horror (1981, Macabre Dance ) (test)
- Creepshow (1982, cartoon, illustrated by Berni Wrightson )
- the Tower Sinks I: the pistolero (1982, The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger )
- Various Seasons (1982, Different Seasons ) (collection of news)
- Running man (1982, The running man , under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman)
- Christine (1983)
- the Year of the werewolf or blue Fear (1983, Cycle off the Werewolf ) (magazine by Berni Wrightson)
- Simetierre (1983, Fart Sematary )
- Eyes of the dragon (1984, The Eyes off the Dragon )
- Skin on the bones (1984, Thinner , under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman)
- the Talisman or the Talisman of the territories (1984, The Talisman ) (written with Peter Straub)
- Fog (1985, Skeleton Crew ) (collection of news)
- That (1986, It )
- Misery (1987)
- the Tower Sinks II: the three charts (1987, The Dark Tower II: The Drawing off the Three )
- Tommyknockers (1988, The Tommyknockers )
- Nightmares in the Sky (1988, gargoyle photo book with text by King; photographs by F-stop fitzgerald)
- the Share of darkness (1989, The Dark Half )
- Cadillac de Dolan (1989, Dolan' S Cadillac , limited edition; recovery in the collection of news Dreams and nightmares )
- My Pretty Pony (1989, edition limited)
- the Plague (1990, The Stand: Complete The & Uncut Edition ) (integral edition)
- Midnight 2 & Midnight 4 (1990, Furnace Past Midnight ) (collection of news)
- Bazaar (1991, Needful Things )
- the Tower Sinks III: lost Grounds (1991, The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands )
- Jessie (1992, Gerald' S Range )
- Dolores Claiborne (1993)
- Dreams and nightmares (1993, Nightmares & Dreamscapes ) (collection of news)
- Insomnie (1994, Insomnia )
- Pink Madder (1995)
- Umney' S Last Puts (1995)
- the green line (1996, The Green Mile )
- Désolation (1996, Desperation )
- the Regulators (1996, The Regulators , under the name Richard Bachman)
- Six Stories (1997, collection)
- the Tower Sinks IV: Magic and Cristal (1997, The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Knell )
- Bag of bone (1998, Bag off Bones )
- the Storm of the century (1999, Storm off the Century ) (scenario published)
- the Little girl who loved Tom Gordon (1999, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon )
- The New Lieutenant' S Rap (1999, limited edition)
- Cœurs lost in Atlantis (1999, Hearts in Atlantis )
- Blood and Smoke (1999, delivers audio)
- a turn on the bolid' (2000, Riding the Bullet , news published electronically)
- The Plant (2000, published electronically) Stephen King (Publishing off “The Plant”) (unfinished)
- Secret Window (2000)
- Ecriture: memories of a trade (2000, One Writing: In Memoir off the Kraft ) (test and autobiography)
- Dreamcatcher (2001)
- Territories (2001, Black House continuation of the Talisman ; written with Peter Straub)
- All is Fatal (2002, Everything' S Eventual: 14 Dark Tales ) (collection of news)
- Roadmaster (2003, From has Romance Buick 8 written during its convalescence, very inspired by its accident)
- the Tower Sinks V: the wolves of Fixed ( The Dark Tower V: Wolves off the Calla 2003)
- the Tower Sinks VI: song of Susannah ( The Dark Tower VI: Song off Susannah 2004)
- the Tower Sinks VII: the Tower Sinks , ISBN 2-290-33251-8 ( The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower 2005)
- The Colorado Kid (2005)
- Cellular (2006, Concealment )
- History of Lisey (2007, Lisey' S Story )
- The Dark Tower mini-series of six cartoons published by Marvel (2007)
- Blaze (2007, under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman)
- Duma Key (Romance) (2008 - American exit)
Adapted films of the work of Stephen King
Telefilms and televised series adapted of the work of Stephen King
- " Children, the fiction is the truth of what mask the mensonge" (that)
- “the fear and the horror are emotions plugging which throw out of gear our stilts of adult and leave us in the absolute black, as disabled as of the children unable to find the switch. ” (Anatomy of the horror)
- “the strange one, that does not exist simply outside. It is in you, in this moment, that grows in the black like magic mushrooms. Call that the Thing of the Cellar. Call that the Factor of Dégueulis. Call that the Trumpets of the Madness. Me, I think of it as of my personal dinosaur, a gigantic, emaciated and stupid creature which patauge in the marshes puants of my unconscious and never finds well with enough large fossils to take refuge there. ” (Rage)
- “Each existing Langage seems to be conceived with certain precise aims; if the French acquired such a reputation in the field of the love, it is perhaps because the language French E seems particularly ready to express the feelings (there does not exist more beautiful declaration than I love you … but no language exceeds French in the register of the insult). The German is the language of the clarification and the explanation (but it is a language of most cold; a group of Germans discussing evokes a noise of machine tools in a factory). The English is extremely ready to express the opinion and moderately ready to express the image, but it is a language which does not have anything tempting (even if, as pointed out to me one of my friends, English is capable of small triumphs; to see for example adorable the Euphony of an expression like proctological examination ). But English always poorly appeared to me endowed to express the feelings. Nor Why gift' T we go to bed together? nor its more relaxed alternative Baby, let' S fuck! at ankle of do you Want do not arrive to sleep with me this evening? . But one does what one can with what one has… and as can attest of them the readers of Shakespeare and Faulkner, which one can do is sometimes remarkable. ” ( black Pages )
- “the evening, when I have just laid down me, I always make sure that my two legs are well under cloth, once extinct lights. I am not any more one child…, but I do not support that one of my legs hangs with-outside when I sleep. Because, if ever a frozen hand emerged from lower part the bed to clutch me ankle, I could about it howl. Yes, I could howl to awake deaths. Of course, like let us know we it all, this type of things never arrives. In the stories which follow, you will meet all kinds of creatures of darkness: Vampire S, Succube S, a thing which lives in the wall cupboards, of innumerable other terrors. None of them is real. The thing which, under my bed, watches for my ankle, is not it more. I know it. But I also know that if I take guard well to leave my foot under the covers, it will be able to never catch me. ” (macabre Dance)
- “One day I started to think of the Cannibalisme - because it is the type of things to which types as me think sometimes - and my MUSE once more emptied its bowels on my head. (I know well at which point that with the coarse air, but it is best the Métaphore than I know, very inelegant that it is, and believe me when I say to you that I would give him readily laxative if it wanted some). In any case, I started to ask to me whether a person could eat itself, and if so, how long could it be eaten before the inevitable one does not arrive. The idea was so perfectly revolting that I délicieusement was too délicieusement horrified to make another thing to think of it during days. ” (Fog)
- “time erases all, at the end it remains only darkness” (the green line)
- “One does not write for money, one writes because that avoids feeling badly. A man or a woman able to turn the back on a similar thing is only one (E) idiotic, here all. The history pays me while enabling me to find the sleep when I want to sleep and that I do not reach that point. I pay the history in return by giving him the form concretes which it needs. The remainder is only side effects. ” (Fog)
- " The world is a strange place. And hard. Where, sometimes, chance" is missed;. (the share of darkness)
- " The true monsters never are completely deprived of feelings. I believe that in the final analysis it is that, and not their aspect, which returns them if effrayants." (the share of darkness)
Works of fiction putting in Stephen King scene (or a writer of horrific best-sellers resembling to him)
- the Cave of the madness ( In the Mouth off Madness , 1994), American film of John Carpenter
- the Visitor without face , novel of Serge Brussolo (Editions of the Mask, 1994)
|Random links:||Aetna (insurances) | History of Switzerland | Festival of Angouleme 1987 | 1892 in France | Tomáš Konečný|