See also: Caroline
See also the prehistoric site of Topper.
It was populated by English colonists starting from 1670, who were then followed by French Huguenot S. the Caroline became officially a royal colony in 1712 and draw his name from a reference to Charles Ier of England. The Caroline-of-South revolted against the Great Britain at the time of the American Révolution and establishes its own government the March 15th 1776. It remains the first State to ratify the Constitution the February 5th 1778.
Of a surface of 80 583 km ², the Caroline-of-South are populated of 4 012 012 inhabitants (2000).
The capital of the Caroline-of-South east Columbia.
One can distinguish four natural areas:
- the Atlantique plain is made up of relatively recent sedimentary deposits (sand, clay…). The zones best drained are used for agriculture whereas the bad grounds are left with the state of marshes. The coast offers shelters for the ports within the estuaries and several bays.
- the area of the Sand Hills , which, as its name indicates it, is the vestige old dunes.
SubdivisionsThe Caroline-of-South is divided into 45 counties. See the list of the counties of the State of Caroline-of-South.
Columbia, 117.088 inhabitants, capital of the State
- Charleston, 106.712 inhabitants
- Myrtle Beach, 26.593 inhabitants
- North Charleston, 86.313 inhabitants
- Greenville, 56.676 inhabitants
- Spartanburg, 38.379 inhabitants
- Sumter, 39.679 inhabitants
- Florence, 31.269 inhabitants
- Clemson, 12.364 inhabitants
PolicyThe Caroline-of-South is one of the States more Conservateur S of the the United States and affirms a very strong identity Southerner.
Former leader of the secessionist cause in 1860, first State to leave the Union, it is on his ground that the American Civil War began to Fort Sumter.
An old preserving and democratic bastion
Gradually, the voters were diverted democratic candidates while starting with the presidential elections.
In 1964, with 59% of the voices, the ultra-conservative Barry Goldwater is the republican first to gain the State at the time of a presidential election and no democratic candidate gained South Carolina since Jimmy Carter in 1976.
The Caroline-of-South is one of the States thus today more republican S of the country.
A State from now on rejoined with the republicans
In 2005, the governor is the republican Mark Sanford in function since January 2003. He is the fourth republican governor of Caroline-of-South since 1975 whereas six of the eight elected stations of the executive are also held by republicans.
At the local level, the State is composed of a Senate of 46 members dominated at the time of the session 2007-2008 by 26 republicans and of a Room of the Representatives of 124 elected officials dominated by 73 republicans against 51 democrats.
At the federal level, the two senators of the State are the republicans Lindsey Graham and Jim DeMint whereas four republicans and two democrats represent the State with the Chambre of the Representatives of the United States.
currency: " Smiling Faces. Beautiful Places "
- tourist Official site of Caroline-of-South
Beats-smg: Pėitu Karolina Simple: South Carolina
|Random links:||Kronos Four-bit byte | Jean Lucas (pilot) | Manila hemp | Mlava | Christopher Polhem|