Sillans-the-Cascades ( Silan in Occitan Provençal) is a common French, located in the department of the Var and the French Région Provence-Alp-Coast of Azure. This commune at the edge of the Bresque populated of 565 inhabitants saw primarily tourism for the 42 meters high cascade.
GeographyLocated at 30km of Draguignan and 9km of Aups. The village is located on a hill at the top of the river the Bresque. The village and its accesses are registered with the inventory of the protected sites.
Separately the megalith of the district the St. Lawrence, no vestige lithic was to date discovered making it possible to define a permanent occupation of the soil at the time prehistoric.
The Roman occupation is attested in plain by the many traces of habitat put at the day in Bastidon, Saint-Barnabe and Mude. The place is then located not far from the Roman way going from Fréjus to Riez.
To XIe century, Richaud, Franconus, Poncius Willelmus and Albertus give to the abbey of Saint-Victor the grounds which they have in Sillans, then described as " villa". In 1099, Berenger, bishop of Frejus, restore with the Marseilles abbey the church of " Cillans" who belonged to him before the invasion sarrasine.
February 22nd, 1154, Pétrus, bishop of Fréjus yields to Guillielmus, abbot of Saint-Victor, the Sainte-Marie church of " Cilans" located inside Castrum. The seigniory of Sillans passes successively from the Baux to Pontevès.
In 1237, the chapter of Barjols exchange with these powerful lords their share on the jurisdiction of Barjols against " affars" with Sillans and Esparron.
About 1536, half of the seigniory passes by alliance to the Blacas.
In August 1619, the Albert-Châteauneuf acquire this share of seigniory and in March 1627, that of Pontevès. Louise-Adelaide Julie d' Albert brings it in 1775 in the house as of the Wet cooper by her marriage with Louis-Charles the Wet cooper, count of Breteuil.
May 26th, 1781, Antoine François Rollans, clerk at the Parliament of Provence, this stronghold with the biddings for the sum of 286.000 books acquires. Its grand-daughter, Marie-Antoinette-Delphine, bring it in the house of the Castellane by her marriage with the marquis Boniface Hippolite de Castellane.
In 1863, the field of Saint-Barnabe is dismembered of Sillans in favor of Master Boyer, notary with Aups.
The line of the " Train of Pignes" energy of Draguignan to Meyrargues, stopped in left bank of the Bresque in the Sillans-Aups station. The station was open on August 28th, 1888, building of 3rd class with separated market, refreshment bar, three ways and a drawer. The Junction with Decauville way is open in 1913 for the Public limit company of Bauxites of the VAr, to connect the station to the new mine of the field of the marquis de Castellane, by a layout skirting the main road side Meyrargues. The line was closed in 1950 and parks it of Sillans became a nursery school.
EtymologyAccording to Grohler, Sillans would come from the gentilice " Silius". Frederic Mistral as for him to see in " Silan" , the current representative of the name of anybody Silanus.
Cité au XIe century: " in Silans" villa; ; " Cilias" in XIIe century; " Cilans" then " Sillans in 1477.
In Of Provence: Silan.
- the cascade of 42 meters
- the castle entirely rebuilt at the XVIIIe century by the marquis Boniface Hippolite de Castellane.
|Random links:||10th room, moments of audience | Sanaag | History of South Africa of 1948 to 1994 | Stamps of the State de Bolívar | Euripe | Peggy Leroy | Hokah,_Minnesota|