See also: Schaffhouse (homonymy)
Schaffhouse (in German, Schaffhausen ) is a city in the canton of the same name in the north of the Suisse, located at 47,71°N, 8,62°E; with a population of 33 700 in 2003. The German name of Schaffhouse is Schaffhausen .
GeographyThe city, dominated by the imposing fortress of Munot , is staged on Right Bank of the the Rhine. If the old city preserved its medieval past and its houses at famous the oriels, Schaffhouse became an important industrial center.
- the old part of the city has many picturesque buildings of time Renaissance decorated with external frescos and sculptures and several fountains decorated with polychrome statues.
- Of many middle-class houses with pinions of the XVIIe century was preserved, with turrets and roofs strongly sloping covers of tiles in the shape of fish scale.
- Although most of the fortifications was cut down, the city preserved many vestiges of its moyenâgeux past like several turns and doors as well as the old cantonal fortress, the Munot, a circular keep with impressive dimensions.
- the monastery of All-the-Saint was restored and shelters a historical museum. The Gothic church Midsummer's Day goes back to 1120.
- Georg Fischer, Site industry group of the company
- BB Biotech, biotechnologies Site of the company
- International Watch Co, clock industry
- Radio operator Munot Site of the radio
- Radio operator RaSA Site of the Radio
- Christoph Blocher, politician
- Walther Bringolf, politician
- Hans-Jürg Fehr, politician
- Johann Amman, naturalist
- ARIANE Ehrat, skier
Schaffhouse was a city-State with the Moyen-âge. Documents show that it started to strike its currency as of 1045. The Benedictine abbey of All-the-Saint was founded in 1049 by the count Eberhard de Nellenburg who equipped it richly. In 1376 a fire devastated most of the city. During a time, it was under the domination of the Habsbourg S but regained its independence in 1415 by buying its freedom with the Austrian Empire.
It was combined with Zurich in 1457. The war of Souabe, in 1499, brought the city closer to the other cantons and it became a complete member of the confederation in 1501 by forming to it twelfth canton.
- In 1529 the Réforme is adopted by the city and the convents are closed.
the 19th century is that of industrialization with the establishment of a mechanical cotton spinning mill in 1813 but also that of the economic crises and social.
- the first Railroad reached the city in 1857 by the opening of the line Winterthour - Schaffhouse.
- In 1944 the city, although in neutral Switzerland, undergoes by error a bombardment by the United States Air Force which was to aim at the Germany near.
The Falls of the Rhine
|Random links:||Troisvaux | Jailly | Érik Boisse | Jacques Duchenne | Noèse | Démographie_de_l'Afrique_du_Sud|