Its name would derive from Latin Sartoris villa (firm of the clearers), which tends to make think that the site of the city was in the beginning made up of forests which were cleared. Another approach consists in considering that the city was formerly a village of vine growers Sartorum villa (the village of the Vine growers).
Its inhabitants is called Sartrouvillois.
SituationThe commune of Sartrouville is in edge of the the Seine, to 15 km in the North-West of Paris (Porte Shirt). It is in extreme cases of the Val-d'Oise.
Its communes bordering are Houses-Laffitte in the west, Cormeilles-in-Parisis in north, Argenteuil and the Hoop-on-Seine in the North-East, Bezons and Houilles in the east, the Career-on-Seine and Montesson in the south.
Public transportThe commune is served by the Gare of Sartrouville. Sartrouville is thus connected to Paris Saint Lazare and Paris Gare de Lyon on a side, and to Cergy and Poissy of the other.
RoadsTo Sartrouville pass the D308, the D121 and the N192.
Culture of the vine
Sartrouville was a long time a place of culture of the vine. One cultivated there in particular following type of vines: Black Gamay, gois, miller, tufted duck as attest certain street names of them such as: rue des Morillons, the street Gamay, etc
The culture of the vine disappeared at the beginning of the 20th century under the joint effect of two factors: on the one hand, the development of the railroad made enter in competition the local production with the wines of midday, on the other hand will phylloxera it destroyed most of type of vines in 1902. Today, only some plans are still cultivated near the Saint Martin's day church.
Sartrouville, one of the cradles of aeronautics
Sartrouville had at the beginning of the 20th century an aerodrome which allowed the reception of the airships.
The airship Ville of Paris , indeed, was stored there in 1904 in a gigantic hangar. Other airships took their take-off of Sartrouville such as the Clément Bayard and the Ville of Nancy intended for the Russian government.
Sartrouville was also selected in the years 1920 by the building sites Aéro Maritime of the Seine to develop its activities to with it. The city is indeed near Paris and has the tram which connects Houses-Laffitte to Paris. The building sites develop seaplanes of maritime recognition (like CAMWOODS 37 or 55) and a flying-boat (CAMWOODS 53) which, as from 1929, is largely used for the civil lines through the Mediterranean. The CAMWOODS group, then CNCAN will become in 1958 North Aviation and will amalgamate with South Aviation in 1970 to become the Aerospatiale.
(graphic development by Wikipédia)
ImageSize = width: 850 height: 350 PlotArea = left: 50 bottom: 50 signal: 30 right: 30 DateFormat = x.y Period =from: 0 till: 51000 TimeAxis = orientation: vertical AlignBars = justify ScaleMajor = gridcolor: darkgrey increment: 5000 start: 0 ScaleMinor = gridcolor: lightgrey increment: 1000 start: 0 BackgroundColors = canvas: sfondo
BarData= bar: 1793 text: 1793 bar: 1800 text: 1800 bar: 1806 text: 1806 bar: 1821 text: 1821 bar: 1831 text: 1831 bar: 1846 text: 1846 bar: 1856 text: 1856 bar: 1866 text: 1866 bar: 1872 text: 1872 bar: 1881 text: 1881 bar: 1891 text: 1891 bar: 1901 text: 1901 bar: 1911 text: 1911 bar: 1921 text: 1921 bar: 1926 text: 1926 bar: 1936 text: 1936 bar: 1946 text: 1946 bar: 1954 text: 1954 bar: 1962 text: 1962 bar: 1968 text: 1968 bar: 1975 text: 1975 bar: 1982 text: 1982 bar: 1990 text: 1990 bar: 1999 text: 1999
PlotData= color: width barred: 30 align: left bar: 1793 from: 0 till: 1717 bar: 1800 from: 0 till: 1806 bar: 1806 from: 0 till: 1661 bar: 1821 from: 0 till: 1740 bar: 1831 from: 0 till: 1874 bar: 1846 from: 0 till: 1741 bar: 1856 from: 0 till: 1656 bar: 1866 from: 0 till: 1631 bar: 1872 from: 0 till: 1697 bar: 1881 from: 0 till: 1730 bar: 1891 from: 0 till: 1863 bar: 1901 from: 0 till: 2211 bar: 1911 from: 0 till: 3602 bar: 1921 from: 0 till: 5847 bar: 1926 from: 0 till: 10750 bar: 1936 from: 0 till: 17866 bar: 1946 from: 0 till: 17494 bar: 1954 from: 0 till: 21743 bar: 1962 from: 0 till: 31267 bar: 1968 from: 0 till: 40277 bar: 1975 from: 0 till: 42253 bar: 1982 from: 0 till: 46197 bar: 1990 from: 0 till: 50329 bar: 1999 from: 0 till: 50219
PlotData= bar: 1793 At: 1717 fontsize: S text: 1717 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1800 At: 1806 fontsize: S text: 1806 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1806 At: 1661 fontsize: S text: 1661 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1821 At: 1740 fontsize: S text: 1740 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1831 At: 1874 fontsize: S text: 1874 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1846 At: 1741 fontsize: S text: 1741 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1856 At: 1656 fontsize: S text: 1656 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1866 At: 1631 fontsize: S text: 1631 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1872 At: 1697 fontsize: S text: 1697 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1881 At: 1730 fontsize: S text: 1730 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1891 At: 1863 fontsize: S text: 1863 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1901 At: 2211 fontsize: S text: 2211 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1911 At: 3602 fontsize: S text: 3602 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1921 At: 5847 fontsize: S text: 5847 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1926 At: 10750 fontsize: S text: 10750 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1936 At: 17866 fontsize: S text: 17866 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1946 At: 17494 fontsize: S text: 17494 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1954 At: 21743 fontsize: S text: 21743 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1962 At: 31267 fontsize: S text: 31267 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1968 At: 40277 fontsize: S text: 40277 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1975 At: 42253 fontsize: S text: 42253 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1982 At: 46197 fontsize: S text: 46197 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1990 At: 50329 fontsize: S text: 50329 shift: (- 10,5) bar: 1999 At: 50219 fontsize: S text: 50219 shift: (- 10,5)
The town of Sartrouville includes/understands various cultural equipment:
- the Minicipale School of Arts (street of November 11th), gathering 1.100 pupils within the three establishments which compose it: The School of visual arts, the Academy of Dance and the Academy of Music.
- the Theater of Sartrouville, Centers Dramatic National (Jacques-Brel Place) with each season nearly 30 spectacles, the Odyssées festival 78 every two years.
- the network of the Libraries of Sartrouville, composed of the Media library (9, place des Fusillés, vis-a-vis the station), and of library Stendhal (2, place Stendhal): a qualified and accessible team places at the disposal of readers, novels, band-drawn, DVD, periodicals, books audios, CD-ROM,…
The Saint Martin's day church has an arrow hones some which dates from the Middle Ages ().
Personality related to the commune
- Pierre Saka (Pierre Sakalakis) born in 1921, author, melodist, man of radio,
- Nicolas the Rich person, principal dancer with the Opéra of Paris was born the January 29th 1972 in Sartrouville,
- Angélique Ionatos, compositrice, singer of Greek origin. Lives in Sartrouville and was Associated Artist with the theater with Sartrouville with 1989 to 2000,
- Louis Paulhan, pilot from plane, fighter pilot, manufacturer of Hydravion S,
- the Orsi police chief, resistant,
- Guy of Maupassant spent a few summers to Sartrouville to write there, says one, the novel a life .
- Etienne Turgot,
- Doctor Destouches (known as Celine) is named doctor as a chief of the dispensary of the city in 1940,
- Tristan Gommendy, racing driver, is Sartrouvillois,
- Philippe Jaroussky, lyric singer, trained with the academy of Sartrouville
- Sartrouville is the city of the Triathlon, organized each year, and the champion Frederic Belaubre is Sartrouvillois like the Mouthon sisters.
- the racing cyclist Pascal Lino, professional in the years 1990 and 5th of the Tour de France 1992, was born in Sartrouville.
- Roger Knobelspiess, born in 1947, writer, actor, lived a few years with Sartrouville.
The city consists of a vast suburban unit which extends from Montesson to Houilles/Houses-Laffitte and which borders the Seine. This unit gathers the districts of the Ten-Arpents, the Plain, Vaudoire, the Old man-Country, the White Cross, Richebourgs and the Union.
a whole of houses
The historical center town (close to the church of the 13th century) moved place Nationale (Old man-Country) in the place of Fusillés located in front of the station. This place with fact the object of an important restoration completed in 2007.
The plate includes/understands, in addition to houses, several groups of buildings to the varied statutes (private HLM and residences). The district of the city of the Indies counted to eight thousand inhabitants in 1970 after one period of important immigration. It was, and it is still, a excentré district where very often live poor families. This disadvantaged district was exposed to urban violences it there has about fifteen years (1991) and is the subject of a program of urban renovation.
- Common of Yvelines
- the official site of the commune of Sartrouville
- the site of the media library
|Random links:||Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands | Acrocephalus atyphus | Dynamos Football Club (South Africa) | Russet-red Mannetjies | Line 19 of the tram of Brussels | Lycia|