Central element of the student's folklore of Brussels, the Saint-Verhaegen (often named Saint-V) celebrates the foundation of the Universit3e libre de Bruxelles (ULB) each November 20th. Mixing commemorations and Guindaille S, it is organized jointly by association interfacultaire students of the ULB i.e. General association of the students of 1886 with 1970, Association of the folk circles of 1973 with 1989 and finally the Association of the student circles (ACE) of 1989 to our days like by its Dutch-speaking counterpart the Brusselse Studentengenootschap (BSG) of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB). Let us recall that this one was divided ULB into 1969.
From 1834 to 1888
The grand opening of the ULB take place on November 20th 1834 under the impulse of Pierre-Theodore Verhaegen, Worthy Master of the cabin the Friends philanthropists and of Auguste Baron. As of this time, this date was issued day off but the first real demonstrations appeared only at the time of the creation of the Union of old students (UAE) in 1843. It was organized then on this date of the meeting again between old of the ULB in the bars of Brussels. This day was finished by a banquet.
From 1888 at the Twenties
This year appeared for the first time the expression “ Saint-Verhaegen ”. The students wanted on this date to react against the university organization felt like antidemocratic and moved away from the principle of the Libre examination. This is why they publicly referred to the founder of the ULB, large promoter of free and scientific teaching.
The morning of November 20th 1888, 200 students (over 1400) provided with flags of the various student organizations thus went in front of the statue of Verhaegen located in front of the buildings of the university which was at the time street of the grounds. Then they went to deposit a crown of sheets of oak on the tomb of Verhaegen to the cemetery of Evere. They are only 2 years later that the academic authorities took share with the ceremonies. Also let us note that during years, students and freemasons of the cabin the Friends philanthropists walked together to commemorate St V. The latter accommodated the students with the seat of the cabin.
In the years which followed, a procession consisted a gigantic students' rag procession (i.e. in an Indian long line) left in the afternoon the Anspach boulevard, preceded by the flags and brass band, to go to the university street grounds in front of the monument dedicated to Verhaegen. There speeches in the name of the students and of the ULB were made. The vice-chancellor received then the students. Those, to finish left to have fun the festival in the streets of Brussels. The aspect guindaille did not begin before 17:00, the essence of the day being devoted to the homages.
Ceremonies of the morning
In the years 1920, the ULB moves and is installed on the campus of the Solbosch to Ixelles. From where change in the festivities: the academic part will take place from now on the morning, the festival the afternoon.
Until in the years 1960, the students ravelled in front of the tomb of the unknown soldier and in front of the statue of Francisco Ferrer (set up in 1911), symbol of the defense of intellectual freedom (located place of Saturday then, then quay with lime) and moved then towards the university.
From 1963, they meet in the national Shooting where 18 students were carried out during the Second world war before joining fall it from Theodore Verhaegen in Evere. Then return to Solbosch where one gathers in front of the memorial of the Groupe G, a group of resistant resulting from the ULB at the time of the Second world war. The ceremonies continue then in the Hall of the marbles of the ULB in front of the memorial with the members of the university community deceased during the two world wars. Y are pronounced speeches in French and Dutch by the vice-chancellors of the ULB and the VUB, the president of the UAE, the burgomaster of Brussels, the large Master of the Great East of Belgium and for the students, the president of the ACE and the BSG like that of the Cercle of the free examination. There to enclose the academic part, of the spray of flowers are deposited in front of the memorial and the statue of Verhaegen like that, located opposite, To shoe, placed in 1984 (150 years of the ULB). One entonne then the Sower, song of the ULB. To that for a few years a drink has been added to the town hall of Brussels.
The procession of the afternoonThe afternoon takes place a procession in the gathering downtown area of Brussels of the tanks chartered by the various student circles of the ULB and the VUB like some universities. In the beginning drawn by draft animals (until in the beginning of the year 1950), the tanks nowadays gather a armada vans, trucks and even semitrailers. They raise decorations and ornamentations (more or less imaginative according to the times) illustrating the annual topic chosen by the students. This one generally tackles subjects like the fight against the Extrême right-hand side, the Pacifisme, the Environnement, the Anticléricalisme, the student's folklore,… And of course each one transports pumps and barrels of Bière in order to water the few thousands of students and old student taking part in this guindaille.
On the basis of the place of the Large Fine sand, the procession goes down to the bottom of the city by the street Lebeau, the street of the Hospital, the place Jean saint, the street of Lombard and the Boulevard Anspach. But the route was not immutable and varied according to work in Brussels and of the decisions of the police force. It formerly comprised a stop obliged street of the Grounds or in front of the Manneken-pis carrying on the occasion one of the many costumes of student who account his wardrobe. Dislocation took place at various places according to the times: Door of Namur a long time, then Poelaert place, place of Brouckère, Rogier place and currently in front of the purse. The whole ending in the burning of the decorations of return to the campus of Solbosch.
The commemoration of the foundation of the ULB took place in 1914 - 1918 with the Breakdown like in 1942 (with the Rembrandt hotel) and in 1943 (with the university of London) in England. Four recoveries the students gave up Saint-Verhaegen: between 1938 and 1941 where only collections were organized with the profit of the families of mobilized and in 1975. This year, the procession was cancelled because of the conflict between the universities and the government. The project of law-program Humblet-In Croo wanted to neutralize an inflation of personnel not justified of the universities, as well as the blocking of engagements of personnel, promotions, the wages. Studying side, the standards defining the students subsidiables are Draconian.
Taking again the topic of St-V, commemorative medals are struck at the time of this one since 1938. Those cling on the Penne in remembering this day awaited by all the students attached to the folklore and the ULB. But in addition to the “official” emission by the association of the students are added certain years the Dutch-speaking versions, the pirate editions, abusive withdrawings, those struck by certain circles and various student's secret orders, etc Exemples of medals: 1991 does Ca go Zaire, 1999 Coito Ergo Sum, 2000 Débloquons Antwerp and against all - Hopelijk valt De Winter vroeg in Antwerpen, 2001 God wounds peace - God, teVREDEn gecrasht? , 1888-2003 Weapons of massive protection - Let the pope rest
Topics of Saint-Verhaegen
- 1946 : The prize winner.
- 1950 : Antisocial behavior and the plagues which it generates.
- 1952 : With bottom the cap. - The Junction North-Midday
- 1953: The amnesty.
- 1954 : Other times… another manners.
- 1955 : school wars. In calotta venenum.
- 1956 : The interplanetary war.
- 1957 : Sputnik and fused.
- 1958 : The space conquest. - Expo 58.
- 1959 : 125e birthday. The thought should never subject
- 1960 : The single law and the austerity which results from this.
- 1961 : UNO is which badly thinks of it.
- 1962 : Oecumenism.
- 1963 : Antimilitarism.
- 1964 : St V equestrian.
- 1965 : Pacem in tennis.
- 1966 : The ULB with the plain of the operations. - The yellow peril.
- 1967 : St V of the Saints.
- 1968 : St V Olympic.
- 1969: (Ur) ition leaves the U.L.B
- 1970 : the antipollution one.
- 1971 : St V Imperial.
- 1972 : Gaston the Blunder and his 107 (K) toilets closed. - The shortage of the directions.
- 1973 : There is Plaine of it the KUL.
- 1974 : Inflation calotante.
- 1975 : St V of mourning. (Like known as higher it there have not procession this year).
- 1976 : The schism of the church.
- 1977 : Regionalization.
- 1978 : Meet 3rd pope.
- 1979 : Thousand years of virgins (the Millenium of Brussels).
- 1980 :
- 1981: Dépénalisez the Abortion.
- 1982 : Let us go children of apathy.
- 1983 : St V of sheep.
- 1984 : Scientific Decline. E=CM²
- 1985 : Against apartheid.
- 1986 : the Bleeding Year.
- 1987 : The integrist ones with the chips dei.
- 1988 : Triple topic is selected:
- 1989: Freedom sex to precede.
Zaire. (Official Topic ACE BSG)
- 1992: Idiot separate step
- 1993: Insanitatis splendor.
- 1994 : They were there. Thank you, 50 years afterwards. (Reference to resistant of the Group G).
- 1995 :
- 1996: Democracy - Not of the free words.
- 1997 : The worse year of the media.
- 1998 : The narrow one of the man universal degradation - Verjaring mensenrechten
- 2001 : God wounds peace - God, you VREDEn gecrasht.
- 2002 : Dangerously Hypocritical catholic - Caloten Dood & Vrolijk.
- 2003 : 1888-2003 Arm with massive protection - Let the pope rest.
- 2004 : With the redécouverte of St-V herondekt.
- 2005 : The meeting makes the force.
- 2006 : 150 years of fraternity (topic common ULB-VUB).
- 2007 : Scientia vincere will tenebras!
the ULB with the one. Belgium and the Free University told by the press , Edition the CRY, 1988, Brussels.
- Pierre-Theodore Verhaegen , Edition of the ULB, 1996.
- student's Newspapers preserved at the service of the Files of the ULB.
- Report/ratio on St V of Mrs. Jacqueline Pawl, Mission leader near the Vice-rector with the policy coed and on the initiative cultural of the Universit3e libre de Bruxelles, 2003.
the site of the Universit3e libre de Bruxelles: http://www.ulb.ac.be/
- the site of Vrije Universiteit Brussel: http://www.vub.ac.be/
- the site of the Association of the student circles: http://www.ace-ulb.be/
- the site of Brussels Studentengenootschap: http://www.bsggtgv.be/
- the site of the Association of the higher circles: http://www.acs-bxl.com/
|Random links:||Mercœur (Haute-Loire) | Etienne Forcadel | Ƅ | NOT | Festival of Gramado | Abbott,_le_Texas|