HistoryTo the 10th century, the church of Saint-Gengoux was given to the Abbaye of Cluny. At the 12th century, the abbot of Cluny requested the king Louis VII to install a lord of the manor with Saint-Gengoux in order to ensure the safety of the city. During the War of Hundred-Years, when the county of Mâcon passed with the hands of king de France in those of the dukes of Burgundy, the seat of the royal baillage was transferred from Mâcon to Saint-Gengoux. Thereafter, the royal châtellenie of Saint-Gengoux continued to exert justice on a spring gathering the villages of the surroundings. It was located with the castle which one sees still today, with the bottom of the borough. With the French revolution, Saint-Gengoux-the-Royal took the name of Jouvence , then the current name of Saint-Gengoux-the-National.
HeraldicSaint-Gengoux-the-national has as weapons a blazon whose heraldic definition is the following one: “Of mouths to the gold band charged with three let us alérions of sand, and accompanied by two hunting horns of gold.”
Places and monumentsThe church was built in 1120 by the Benedictines of Cluny under the term of Gengoux saint. It measures forty and one meters length and sixteen broad. It was several times plundered and restored. In 1802, three vaults contiguous to the church were destroyed to build on their site a corn exchange. Since August 2004, the church is registered with the Federation of the sites clunisiens.
The House of concurés. Eleven the concurés alive one in community were to be native village. The watch tower is the symbol of the street Commercial.
The wood House is a house with Burgundian architecture with wood sides of the second quarter of the 15th century.
The tower François Ier (or tower known as “of Ivy”), was the place of drive of the company of the archers, then of Arquebusiers. The target was on a pole placed on the lathe.
Personalities related to the commune
- Théo Bretin, member of Parliament under the Third Republic, militant of SFIO and the democratic Socialist party, born with Saint-Gengoux-the-National in 1879.
- Common of Saône-et-Loire
- site of the commune of Saint-Gengoux-the-National
- Saint-Gengoux-the-National on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Saint-Gengoux-the-National on the site of INSEE
- Saint-Gengoux-the-National on the site of Quid
- Localization of Saint-Gengoux-the-National on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Saint-Gengoux-the-National on Mapquest
|Random links:||Circuito integrado | Colette | Town square of Brussels | Nigel Shorts | Tupinamba | Vanessa Branch | Mémorial_national_d'inondation_de_Johnstown|