Various geography and data
It is the second plus big city of altitude of Europe (approx. 176 000 hab. and until 1 117 m).
The city is integrated into the RUL ( Urban Région of Lyon ) which corresponds to the territories organized around Lyon, Saint-Etienne, Roanne, Villefranche-sur-Saône, Borough-in-Bresse, Bourgoin-Jallieu…
23 % of the population has less than 20 years.
Like Rome, Saint-Etienne is surrounded by 7 hills.
the agglomeration enjoys a 1937 hours per annum sunning.
It is the only big city of Europe which is on the Watershed between two seas: the Atlantic and the the Mediterranean
Saint-Etienne Métropole is the 2nd community of agglomeration of the area the Rhone-Alps, and the 6th community of agglomeration of France (43 communes, approximately 390 000 inhabitants, more 13 000 companies, including 146 of more than 100 paid).
Saint-Etienne is one of the three French cities to have preserved its tram without interruption since its first startup in 1885. Since it became a true institution, while rythmant the life of the Inhabitants of Saint-Etienne to the sound of his bell, it transports million travellers every year. A second line is in service since October 2006, it connects the downtown area to the railway station of Chateaucreux.
As in all the big cities of France, Saint-Etienne knows problems of circulation, the main roads of intramural circulations remain insufficient… A 72 is used as northern peripheral and is, N 88 of southern peripheral. However, of the actions were undertaken to cure these problems of circulation: creation of a second tram line (to reduce the place of the car in downtown area and to improve overall quality of life of the inhabitants of the hyper-center), creation of an urban boulevard surrounding the hypercentre, with installation of “doors” (17 on the whole) giving access to various sectors of the hyper-center. Lastly, the construction of a vast underground car park below the place Chavanelle (which is finished and accessible).
Communes borderingVillars, Saint-Priest-in-Jarez, Turn-in-Jarez, Talaudière, Saint-Jean-Bonnefonds, Saint-Chamond, Valla-in-Gier, Bessat, Tarentaise, Saint-Genest-Malifaux, Planfoy (bordering on the common partner of Rochetaillée for these five last), Ricamarie, Rock-the-Molière and Saint-Genest-Lerpt.
Moreover, the “district” of the Saint-Victor-on-Loire, nonbordering on Saint-Etienne, has as communes bordering, in addition to Rock-the-Molière and Saint-Genest-Lerpt which establishes the link with Saint-Etienne, Saint-Just-Saint-Rambert, Chambles, Caloire and Unieux.
Limits of the city
The city increased on several occasions, annexing the following communes:
- in 1855, Beaubrun, Montaud, In addition to-Furens and Valbenoîte;
- in 1969, the Saint-Victor-on-Loire (noncontiguous with the remainder of Saint-Etienne, very rare in France, normally anticonstitutional case);
- in 1970, Terrenoire;
- in 1973, Rochetaillée (with the statute of common partner, 757 inhabitants in 1999).
See also: District of Saint-Etienne
Two zip codes are served what indicates the division of the city in two districts:
Northern Saint-Etienne (Northern Northern West/Is + Center Town): 42000
- Southern Saint-Etienne (+ Rochetaillée & the Saint-Victor-on-Loire): 42100
Climatic data in Saint-Etienne of 1947 to 2001 (to click on the chart of France).
See also: Administration of Saint-Etienne, List of the mayors of Saint-Etienne
Transport and infrastructures
Highways and trunk roads
See also: Ring road of Saint-Etienne
- has 47: towards Lyon
- has 72: towards Clermont-Ferrand
- NR 88: towards Toulouse via the Puy-en-Velay
- NR 82: towards Borough-Argental while passing by the Collar of the Republic
- International airport Saint-Etienne the Loire: no regular airline company deserted this airport. Some connections Charter S.
- Saint-Etienne - Châteaucreux: Connections daily TGV with Paris, direct or indirect connections with many cities.
- Saint-Etienne - Carnot
- Saint-Etienne - Bellevue
- Saint-Etienne - the Rabbit burrow
- Saint-Etienne - the Terrace
The STAS manages and exploits the urban grid system of Saint-Etienne and its agglomeration. It is charged to ensure the service of transport in a score of communes of the agglomeration inhabitant of Saint-Etienne.
The network is composed of 2 lines of Tram (11,6 km of lines), 60 regular lines, (4 of night) of which 65 % of the vehicles roll to clean energy (Trolleybus electric, drunk with the white gas oil).
The agglomeration adapted its ticketting in 2 zones of displacements:
- the zone Large Saint-Etienne.
- the zone Large Gier.
- Saint-Etienne Metropolis all zones.
- the range Oùra makes it possible FOR THE THIRD TIME to use (in 10 stations of the agglomeration) and public transport at will on the territory of the agglomeration.
HistoryHistorically, the city developed with:
- the Royal Manufacture of Weapons
- the coal mines
- the Cycle industry
- the Ribbon manufacture.
The city known in second half of the 20th century of many reorganizations and closings in its industrial sphere. After the closing of Manufrance, coal mines, larger part of GIAT industries (the optical activity remaining in place), and the difficulties of the Cycle industry, Saint-Etienne was described like a city in danger. Its economic activity knows a revival today, thanks to local and regional initiatives of pole of innovation, artistic events, and of reinforcement of its economic influence. The situation of the trade in downtown area also improves.
- the Large distribution: the Group Casino whose Geoffroy Guichard is the founder.
- the Chocolate factory S (Chocolate Weiss, Chocolate of the Princes, Chocolate Pupier…).
- the Health (hospital, private clinics, old people's homes), in particular with a new hospital pole replacing the " Wall of China ".
- the pole of Medical technologies which gather a third of the potential of the Rhone-Alps in medical technologies.
- the pole of water and the environment which federates more than 150 partners to competences diversified and complementary in the sector of the environment and water treatment.
- Métrotech : A technological park dedicated firstly to linked activities with biomedical, advanced mechanics, optics vision and the higher tertiary sector. This park of 30 hectares will have the role of accommodating uses with high Added-value in these key dies.
- the quoted of the businesses of Châteaucreux on a surface of 40 ha including 250.000 m ² of offices in the south and the north of the station TGV, connected to the downtown area by the tram. The world head office of the Groupe Casino is the spearhead of the tertiary pole in becoming (with an entire surface of 50.000 m ² joining together the 13 current sites of the group).
- District of Center Two where the greatest shopping mall of the agglomeration, the School inspectorate of the Loire or the 3Ecole Nationale Sup3erieure of Social security (EN3S) are found.
- the Design celebrated since a few years already with the international Biennial of the Design. This field besides will be reinforced with construction on the old site of the GIAT of the Cité of the design.
TradeList principal shopping malls of Saint-Etienne and its agglomeration:
- regional Shopping mall Center-Two: Auchan, C&A, Go Sport,… (100 shops)
- Shopping mall of the Door of Drill: Auchan, Decathlon, Subparagraph,…
- Monthieu Shopping mall: Giant Casino, Ikea,…
- Shopping mall Ricamarie: Giant Casino, Brico Deposit,…
- the Optical with in particular the “optical Pole and vision”.
- the firm Focal (or JMLab), the largest French manufacturer of loudspeakers and speaker with Talaudière.
- the Center Industrial European of Capital equipment which gathers 1300 companies in mechanics and surface treatments, research as well as higher education.
- Saint Etienne is the seat of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Saint-Etienne/Montbrison which manages the Aéroport of Saint-Etienne - Bouthéon.
Projects of the municipality
Candidate city under European capital of the culture 2013Saint-Etienne postulated under European Capitale of the culture in 2013. Hundreds of people work around this candidature since the beginning of the year 2007. November 15th, 2007, the file will be examined by a jury. In 2008, the preselected cities will have at the end of the year to polish their candidature before a last oral examination. The file is under the direction of Anne-Marie Castay. The town of Clermont-Ferrand joins the candidature. As well as town of Banska Bystrica, candidate for the Slovakia, which tied a partnership with Saint-Etienne. Four general sets of themes were defined:
- concrete Utopias: takes as a starting point the Utopias by yesterday which are carried out to imagine the Utopias of tomorrow.
- City-nature: nature is put in scene. It is exaltée in all its aspects and it is expressed downtown, with mineral.
- Metamorphoses: a city moving or all changes, a city liked by its inhabitants and a new image for outside.
- Flow and exchanges: Art, science and innovation: 3 historical pillars and with a future for Etienne Saint, a rich city of its crossings and its cohabitation.
Various demonstrations will be organized to mobilize the population in 2007.
Urban projectSaint-Etienne 2015 is a great operation of town planning which relates to more than 970 hectares, of the downtown area, the district of Carnot, Châteaucreux, the Plain Achilles, the Couriot site, of Monthieu, where the stake is the renewal of the habitat, the framework of life, the services and the economic development and commercial of the city.
- the Zenith of Saint-Etienne will be born into 2007/2008 of a capacity of 7200 places, with very daring architecture.
- Construction of large a district business in the district of Châteaucreux, where Casino (inter alia) built its new head office.
- Construction of an international Quoted of the design on the site of the old munitions factory (ex-GIAT), destroyed partly.
- Realization of a room of current musics (SMAC) " Fil" to reinforce the cultural offer.
- the Tower Full Sky (district of Montreynaud) should not dominate the city in any more 2008.
- Modernization, reorganization and extension of the Purification plant of Porchon to clearly improve water quality of the agglomeration, to cleanse Furan.
- Like many of other projects of scale less important (housing construction, demolition of old judged buildings " insalubres" , economic projects, embellishment of places and streets, " setting in valeur" inheritance,…).
- Refitting and development of the site Couriot (old coal mine) in order to transform it into true cultural and tourist place.
- Installation of the THIMBLE (Western Skirting of Saint-Etienne) which will be a fast section 2x2 ways going from Villars to Firminy.
- Construction of the carpark of the Law courts for the end of the year 2008.
Name of the cityThe legend reports that at time Romans, the village bore the name of Furanum , of the name of the Furan, the river which crosses it. This name would have changed into Furania, name which it would have carried until the Moyen-âge.
The first hard copies (in 1258) of the city mention Sancti Stephani de Furano (Saint-Etienne de Furan).
The city being known for its arms factories, it was temporarily famous Armeville or Commune of Weapons during the French revolution.
The Middle AgesThe first traces of the human occupation on the site of Saint-Etienne go up with the construction of the castle of Saint-Priest in 1167.
But the first writings which names the city Sanctus Stephanus de Furano - Saint-Etienne of Furan go back to creation the abbey of Valbenoîte rested by the count Guy II of Drill at the 12th century.
The Guerre One hundred Year old did not save Saint-Etienne and the abbey of Valbenoîte which was ransacked in 1359 by the " Latecomers " English. To fight against these invasions, the abbot Hugues de Torrenche undertook to strengthen the village.
The village concentrates then around the Large Church with ramparts protecting the city. (The " tower of the droguerie" on the current place of the People was built at the 16th century in the vicinity immediate of the old Door of the Ramparts.)
With the arrival of new inhabitants, the strengthened village was too exiguous and a suburb settled around the walls with the " Pre of Foire" (place of the People). The city then counted more 3.000 people at the end of the 15th century.
The modern timeAt the beginning of 1570, the city is taken by the admiral de Coligny, during the Third war of religion.
As of the 15th century, it constituted an important center of metallurgical production (knives, then firearms as of the Guerres of Italy of François Ier). Arms manufacture will make the fame of the city with the production of weapons of war (or trade) by more than 600 arms manufacturers (in 1669) but also of small metallurgy, with the very varied production, called " clincaillerie " hardware.
It developed also the manufacture of ribbons imported of Italy (Rubanerie that one should not confuse with the Passementerie) as of the 16th century. Thanks to the importance of its industrial activity the city at the 17th century century sheltered: 20000 inhabitants.
Since 1720, the inhabitants of Saint-Etienne usually use the coal and in 1790, the production reaches already: 200000 tons. This fuel will be used to feed the first steam engines. The coal basin being near two navigable rivers, the the Rhone and the the Loire, it was desirable to connect the mines to these rivers by an economic loader-gate.
The revolutionary period made it possible the municipality to buy grounds of the Clergé. From there is born a new plan from the city, established by the architect Pierre-Antoine Dalgabio in 1792. The town of Saint-Etienne until was then directed East-West according to the road of Lyon (see: Street of Lyon) to the Puy-en-Velay. This new plan directed the North-South city according to the road Paris - Annonay, creating a new way which gradually will be linked to form the Grand' street.
Saint-Etienne was a long time a secondary city, less influential - on the administrative and political level - that Montbrison, which was prefecture before it, and even as Feurs, chief town of the the Loire of 1793 with 1795. It is only in 1855 that Saint-Etienne, because of its rapid industrial development and demographic, became chief town of the department.
At the time of the Industrial revolution developed to with it the heavy metallurgy trades and the massive exploitation of the coal mines. In same time, Saint-Etienne had become the world capital of the ribbon in spite of the competition of Basle.
The contemporary time
At the beginning of the 20th century, the industry of the weapon was dominated by the Munitions factory of Saint-Etienne (FARMHOUSE) for the military material, and the French Manufacture of weapons and cycles (Manufrance) as well as many craftsmen for civil rifles. In spite of the closing of Manufrance, there remain still some craftsmen. May 5th 1821, Louis-Antoine Beaunier request the concession of a long Railway of Saint-Etienne in Andrézieux of almost 18 km. Louis XVIII grants the concession on February 26th 1823 of the first rail network of continental Europe. This first line, only intended for the goods tractor drawn by horses, ends in the boats of the Loire, the port of Andrézieux. Coals, intended to be embarked on this river, left bound for the Center, of the West or the North of France.
In Saint-Etienne, on October 27th 1824, the government delivered the first concession mining.
In 1827, it was the startup, between St-Etienne and the Loire, in Andrézieux, of the first French railroad, then the construction of the St-Etienne line - Lyon. The steam traction replaced the animal haulage quickly, thanks to the engineer Marc Seguin. Formerly penalized by its enclavement, the area inhabitant of Saint-Etienne thus knew an economic advancement and demographic extraordinary. Four years later, in 1831, a line of travellers was created, connecting Roanne to Saint-Etienne and Lyon.
Barthélemy Thimonnier designed the first Sewing machine there in 1830.
1832 - Marc Seguin marked of his print the construction of the second railway line Saint-Etienne/Lyon. The adoption in France of a transport system which he appreciated during his voyages in England appears essential him. During its voyage in England, it becomes acquainted with George Stephenson which builds then the line Darlington/Stockton. He asks the concession of the line Saint-Etienne/Lyon by the valley of Gier. This way of 57 km will facilitate the transport of the coal and the industrial products of this important mine field. It is Marc Seguin who obtains in 1826 the concession of this line. On this line, three intermediate landing stages are established with Givors, Bank-with-Gier, Saint-Chamond. Work on the whole of the line began in September 1826, before the approval of the tracé. The section Givors/the Grand Cross was open on June 28th 1830, that of Givors to Lyon on April 3rd 1832 and finally that of Large Cross in Saint-Etienne on October 1st, 1832 for the travellers and on February 25th 1833 for the goods. The line is exploited at the same time by animal haulage and engine since the origin. On the other hand, it is only on August 1st 1844 which the first engine arrives at Saint-Etienne because of hard Rampe coming from Bank of Gier. The line will have been more expensive than envisaged because one built many works of art in a badly known basement.
One can add that a little later always in 1833, was conceded in the same department the first Tramway with French vapor making the connection Montbrison/Montrond. It is the first railway posed on road, assigned to passenger transport and goods. It was brought into service in 1838. In 1881, it is the startup of the network St Etienne Firminy Bank-of-Gier (65 km) as well as the first line of Tramway of Saint-Etienne.
1885: Etienne Mimard, arms manufacturer originating in Direction, founded with another arms manufacturer, Pierre Blachon, the French Manufacture of Weapons and Cycles of Saint-Etienne, become Manufrance in 1947. Mimard directed the company of 1885 (creation) at 1944. A few years after the resumption of the company Martinier-Hake, Mimard and Blachon settled in the site built Cours Fauriel starting from 1892 by the architect Lamaizière. The assessment of their innovations is important: they created at the same time a great manufacture, a center of technical innovation, a new system of mail-order selling and a center of edition (Trade catalog, the French Hunter).
1901: installation of the Saint-Etienne connection - Saint-Héand (14 km) and of the connection Saint Etienne - Saint Chamond (15 km). 1905: installation of the Saint-Etienne connection - Pélussin (32 km).
1905: the well Couriot is created in 1905 by the public limit company of the mines of the Loire whose board of directors is chaired by Mr. Henri Couriot. Initially called Chatelus 3, the Couriot well was to reach the 13th layer of the concession of Beaubrun (also called 8th Grüner ) a powerful layer (i.e. a high, thick layer) of coal of good qualité.
In the years 1930, the " tailles" (working area of coal) inhabitants of Saint-Etienne knew the revolution of the compressed air (already present in other basins since the beginning of the 20th century). The late introduction of the Marteau-piqueur into the mine in Saint-Etienne is explained by the fact why one exploited there a relatively tender coal which inevitably did not require the use of tools other than the peak with hand.
To the accesses of the Couriot well, after 40 years of exploitation of the mine, the workmen give rise to 2 sterile material mountains (known as Terril or Crassier) 60 meters height and 8 million cubic meters. During this period, the 2.000 workmen employed on the site will have to adapt to novel methods of work resulting from the Taylorization. One can recall that the work of the women in the mines of the Loire was never authorized (in the other basins, it was interdict in 1874).
1936: Couriot well: 1936-1948: The site is managed by the Collieries of the Basin of the Loire (LORRAINE AREA) and the mines are nationalized. Following a strike in 1948, the administrative buildings are increased, the power station is modernized, making it possible to accelerate the extraction. A news Lamp-making for 1.100 minors and a large wash-hand basin of 1.100 baskets are then built.
In 1941, the marshal Pétain comes to present to Saint-Etienne the " Charter of work " (collaboration employers paid).
The city was touched by the Bombardement of May 26th, 1944. Approximately 1000 dead and disappeared in a few minutes by a flotilla from American bombers come to destroy the many factories used by the Nazis.
In the Years 1970, Saint-Etienne and France are admiring of the epopee of the Greens in the European championship. It is finished by a final lost against Bayern of Munich and the procession of the team on the Avenue of the Fields-Élysées. Since the years 1970, big industries inhabitants of Saint-Etienne had many problems. In 1967-1968, the Collieries of the Basin of the Loire (LORRAINE AREA) lose money because of the competition of the Pétrole and the coal of the foreign countries, much less expensive. The reconversion of the minors is at the time committed. The site of the Couriot Well closes its doors in 1973. The last mine of the coal basin inhabitant of Saint-Etienne was closed in 1983: it was the Pigeot well.
Manufrance files for bankruptcy in 1986, the Royal Manufacture of Weapons managed by GIAT industries lays off more and more. This important economic fold also passes by a demographic fall. Of a population of 225 825 inhabitants in 1968, within its current limits, the city passed to 201 569 in 1990 and 176 800 in 2004.
At the end of the years 1990, the city reappears with important building site of reconversion. The site of Manufrance is transformed into a tertiary pole and lesson. The Royal Manufacture of Weapons is transformed into Cité of the design and the district of Châteaucreux is rebuilt in Cité of the Businesses.
The “patois” of Saint-Etienne
See also: To speak inhabitant of Saint-Etienne,
Saint-Etienne has this of private individual that it exists there in addition to the language Francoprovençal E which is spoken in the area, a Patois local called “gaga”, still very long-lived although strictly speaking it is not a patois, because there is no specific grammar. On the other hand, the vocabulary is rather rich, it for what it is necessary to add a strong accent.
Some examples of words inhabitant of Saint-Etienne:
- “Gaga”: the inhabitant of Saint-Etienne, the inhabitant or the language
- “Beauseigne”: is used to express the tenderizing, pity
- “excavated”: interjection, exclamation
- “babet”: pine cone
- “grolles”: shoes
- “to have the babaud”: to be feeling gloomy
- “coissou”: the last born of the family
- “to have the door”: to have the giddiness
- “to put itself in case”: to put in stop disease
- “niaquer”: to bite for an animal
- “bugnes”: pastry making which is tasted at fatty Tuesday and for the period of the carnival
Gastronomy inhabitant of Saint-Etienne
- Sarasson : near to the Soft white cheese, is drawn from the Babeurre (Petit milk resulting from the manufacture of butter) by precipitation with ebullient water, the formed grains of sarasson are then recovered by égoutage. Fresh soup, it is seasoned with the grasses (chive, possibly garlic, salt and pepper) and accompanies potatoes cooked with water or the vapor. In Lyon, one calls this same preparation then, but with Soft white cheese: the Brain of silk worker.
- Grated the : potato wafer, equivalent to the split ardéchoise (or Lyons). Tasted salted and peppered or more rarely, with sugar or jam.
- mitonnée soup : Vegetable soup to which one addition of butter and the boiled dry bread with soft fires.
- the salad of barabans : Salad of dandelions with cooked plugs.
- the barboton : potato ragout seasoned with bay-tree and thyme.
- the patia : potatoes mixed with cream and butter and cooked during several hours.
- the matefaims : Left compact pancake which in the beginning was made starting from the rye flour mixed with in slightly salted water. Today water is very often replaced by milk, eggs are added.
- let us grillatons Them : left pie resulting from residues from fat and of meat cooks with the frying pan was used in cheese drainers for cheese.
- Côtes of Drill : wine red and rosy produces in on the buttresses of the Forez.
- Marcellin Allard (1550 - 1618), writer.
- Marius Bailly, writer.
- Alain Cahen (1950 - 1978), writer.
- Albert Camus, writer, made regular stays for its blowings, whereas he wrote the plague .
- Pierre Charas (1945 -).
- Charles Durivaux, known as Charles Exbrayat (1906 - 1989), writer.
- Claude Fauriel (1772 - 1844), historian and linguist.
- Jean Guitton (1901 - 1999), writer, philosophizes.
- Jules Janin (1804 - 1874), writer and critical theatrical.
- Cecile Sauvage (1883 - 1927), mother of Olivier Messiaen and poetess, lived in the city.
- Gilbert Simondon (1924 - 1989), philosopher.
- Bruno Gaccio (December 14th, 1958 -), humorist.
- Muriel Robin (August 2nd 1955 -), actress and humorist.
- graphic Draftsmen, artists, mode:
- Antonin Monk (1796 - 1849), sculptor.
- Pierre Tranchand, draftsman.
- Pierre de Barrigue de Montvallon, known as Piem (1923 -), draftsman.
- Marie-White Bayon (1946 -), artist-painter-illustrator.
- Pierre Cardin (1922 -), dressmaker.
- Deloire (1966 -), Caricaturist
- Schmitt, draftsman.
- Yves Barge (1957 - 1990), draftsman.
- Nicole Claveloux (1940 -), dessinatrice.
- Philippe Favier (1957 -), plastics technician.
- Jeanne Giraud, born Barber 1906-1993 rough Art, works with the Museum of rough Art in Lausanne.
- Joseph Lamberton (1867 1943), painter and sculptor.
- Chantal Montellier (1947 -), dessinatrice.
- Orlan (1947 -), artist plastician.
- Oliv' (1976 -), draftsman.
- Robert Mazoyer, realizer of telefilms.
- Bartone, singer.
- Dub Incorporation, group of music reggae.
- Benighted, group of music.
- Mickaël Furnon (1970 -), singer of the group Mickey 3D.
- Jules Massenet (1842 - 1912), type-setter.
- Bernard Ouillon, known as Bernard Lavilliers (1946 -), singer.
- Normalized Ray (1970 -), singer.
- Raoul Volfoni, group of music.
- Jah Mic, group of music reggae.
- Huguette Bouchardeau (1935 -), old minister and French political woman.
- Pierre-Frederic Dorian (1814 - 1873), industrialist, deputy and public Minister for Labor (1870-1871).
- Antoine Durafour (1876-1932), Minister for Labor (1925-1926).
- Michel Durafour (1920), Minister for Labor (1974-1976), then budget (1977) and of the public office (1989-1991).
- Charles Fiterman (1933 -), electrician, minister of state and for Transport (1981-1983).
- François Claudius Koenigstein, known as Ravachol (Saint-Chamond, 1859 - 1892), anarchistic.
- Gerard Lindeperg, former deputy and French politician.
- Lucien Neuwirth (1924-), known for its law on contraception.
- Antoine Neyron (1738 - 1807), trader and politician.
- Louis-Joseph Hard shell clam-Royet (1756 - 1793), trader of ribbons and politician.
- Hippolyte Royet (1788 - 1853), politician.
- Geoffroy Guichard (1867 - 1940), founder of the Group Casino.
- Etienne Mimard (1862 - 1944), founder of Manufrance.
- Leon and Marcel Lamaiziere (1855 - 1940 and 1879 - 1922) Architects who marked by their constructions the urban landscape inhabitant of Saint-Etienne.
- Emile Draper, (1899 - 1973), founder of the Cycles Draper.
- Vélocio, (1853 - 1930), founder of manufacture Inhabitant of Saint-Etienne of Cycles “the Gallic one”.
- Jean-Louis Alléon-Dulac (1723 - 1788), lawyer and naturalist.
- Michel Upright, psychiatrist, professor of legal medicine and author of many works.
- Benoit Fourneyron (1802 - 1867), engineer, inventor of the first water turbine.
- Jules Garnier (1839 - 1904), engineer, discoverer of the Nickel in New Caledonia.
- Emile Jaboulay (Bank-of-Gier, 1879 - Saint-Etienne 1961), chemist specialized in alloys.
- Gilles Delion (1966 -), racing cyclist.
- Louis Hostin (1908 - 1999), haltérophile.
- Loïc Perrin, (1985 -), footballer.
- Aravane Rezaï (1987 -), tennis player.
- Roger River (1936 - 1976), racing cyclist.
- Willy Sagnol (1977 -), footballer.
- Georges Bereta (1946 -), footballer, 45 selections in team of France.
- Gerard Farison (1944 -), footballer, 1 selection in team of France.
- Fabien Boudarène (1978 -), footballer.
- Bertrand Fayolle (1975 -), footballer.
- Sylvain Armand (1980 -), footballer.
- Jocelyne Villeton (1954 -), Athletics marathon.
Tourist monuments and places
The remarkable architectural heritage of Saint-Etienne, of the 14th century at the 20th century, was worth the to him Ville label of Art and History decreed in 2000. The Tower of the Hardware store, the Labor market, the Town hall, the Prefecture, the Munitions factory, the oldest railway bridge of continental Europe (classified historic building) and many other buildings are as many examples of this exceptional inheritance. Also, Saint-Etienne offers more than 700 hectares of parks and green areas, strewn with sculptures, works of art, gasolines of trees… ideal for the relaxation, the walk and to discover the city under another angle. The city has also a rich person sculptor. A counterpart of the Statue of Freedom is visible not far from the downtown area, on the place Jules-Ferry, with the crossing of the Main street and the street Chevreul.