The first traces of human occupation go back to approximately 12 000 years before our era and the site knows an occupation hittite. But the city is really founded towards 2000 av. J. - C. by tribes pisidiennes which live breeding. The position of the city, in addition to the defensive facility that the site offers, enables him to control an important collar of the Western Taurus.
In 333 av. J. - C., Alexandre Large the seizes the city. Sagalassos then knows a fast hellenisation which manifestre in particular by the construction of many monuments a such Agora, a Sénat of 220 places, a doric temple of Zeus and a fountain whose archeologists had the surprise to note, after having cleared the remains which génaient, which still functioned. The inhabitants of Sagalassos and its area, whose warlike tradition is famous, especially provide many mercenaries to the sovereigns hellenistic with the Lagides.
Under the Roman period Sagalassos becomes the true capital of the Pisidie and knows between the 1st century and the 3rd century an unequalled prosperity. Its industry potière is famous. Auguste makes build a road which directly connects Sagalassos to the port of Perge while under Tibère a monumental door is set up at the southern entry of the city. At the 2nd century a rich person citizen of the city, Titus Flavius Neon, finances the construction of a large library to which a superb mosaic is added to the 4th century. This library today is partially reconstituted by the work of the archeologists. Roman Thermes are also built at the time on a surface of more than 1000 hectares.
From the 6th century the city is touched by a series of calamities. In 518 it is partially destroyed by a Earthquake. Rebuilt it is then decimated by an epidemic of plague between 541 and 543. The town of more is subjected to Arab raids towards 640. A last seism at the 7th century involves the dispersion of the inhabitants of the city of which much takes refuge in the city close (7 kilometers) to Aglasun. Gradually covered by Sagalassos erosion is hidden under several meters of ground.
The city is redécouverte at the beginning of the 18th century (in 1706) by the French explorer Paul Lucas. From 1990 several excavation campaigns are undertaken by the Belgian archeologist Marc Waelkens.
|Random links:||Emma Eckstein | Simcoe-north | Alain Jerome | Gaius Cocceius Balbus | Potentiels_de_dépolarisation_géants|