A small town
Geographical locationChief town of canton (canton of Sées). Department: Flowering ash. Area: Basse-Normandie. Sées is located at 23 km in the north of Alençon (prefecture of the Flowering ash) and at 22 km in the south-east of Argentan (sub-prefecture of the Flowering ash). The city is located at a few kilometers of the source of the Orne.
DemographyAfter several decades of stagnation, Sées has known for a few years a certain demographic revival (+10% between 1999 and 2007).
PrehistoryThe inhabitants of Sées are called today the " Sagiens" name of the Celtic tribe of the Sagii.
A city marked by the war
- Traditionally, the city bears the name of " Séez". It is besides this orthography which the catholic hierarchy preserved: in the Flowering ash, évêché is in Séez (diocese of Séez). However, the town of Séez became the town of Sées under Napoleon following the countryside of Italy: France found itself then with two towns of Séez.
- the city is taken by Henri IV at the beginning of 1590.
- the city, including/understanding many Couvent S, was used as neutral city Hôpital at the time of the Bataille of Normandy what avoided to him being shaven like close cities become strategic because of the railroad (Nickel silver).
- the city positioned on the Roman Voie considerably developed under the Roman Empire and with the Moyen-âge (where it acquired the statute of évêché).
- opposition of its inhabitants to the line of Railroad Paris - Granville contributed to make stagnate the city at the time of the Industrial revolution with the profit of Argentan. The line passes by Surdon and the correspondence Compensation-Sées (line FOR THE THIRD TIME Caen-Turns) is badly served.
- the city is served by the has 28 which connects Rouen to Tours. Another highway is in construction, the has 88 which will in the long term connect Sées to Caen
Policy: opposite local potentates
Political traditionThe town of Sées, like the canton (very agricultural), vote traditionally on the right: Jacques Chirac had obtained 32% with the first turn with the presidential election of 2002; Nicolas Sarkozy obtained 39% with the first turn and 62% with the second turn, well above his national results.
An executive sagien with three heads
- Municipal council: since 1995, the city is directed by a left majority. Its mayor is Jean-Pierre Pelletier (socialist). It wishes to be represented in 2008.
- Canton: Sées is chief town of canton. The general adviser is André Dubuisson (various right-hand side, related UMP): he is first vice-president of the general advice of the Flowering ash. It wishes to be represented in 2008 and supports the list of municipal opposition of Sées.
- the Community of communes of Sées (CDC of Sées): since its creation, it is directed by Jean-Pierre Fontaine (related PCF), mayor of Macé.
Places and monuments
Sées is primarily famous for its religious heritage and its past of episcopal city.
- the cathedral Notre-Dame, a Gothic construction of. It is equipped with a Orgue Parisot and is development consequently technical of night lighting that of the Eiffel tower.
- the abbey Saint Martin's day of the S: if the abbey became a private place, the Notre-Dame church of the Place is public (low-relief of the 16th century, and organ loft of the Rebirth).
- the basilica of the Immaculate-Design of the 19th century.
- the canonic vault of the 13th century.
- the Hospital (vault classified with paintings of Told).
- the palate of Argentré (old évêché of the 18th century), today regional office of the culture
Walk of the Fish pond
- in the vicinity: the forest of Ecouves
Some Sagiens were distinguished in varied fields.
- Pierre François Bowsprit: deputy with the Convention;
- Nicolas Winch known as Of the Park: actor and writer;
- Gaultier-Garguille : actor and Poet;
- François-Rene Curaudau: Pharmacist and Chemist;
- Auguste-François Maunoury (1811-1898): hellenist and exégète;
- Nicolas-Jacques Told: inventor of the pencil-mine.
A recent revival
New transportation routes
- Sées is served by the A28 which connects Rouen to Tours. Thanks to A28, Sées is from now on with 1:20 of Rouen (against 1:50 previously).
- Another highway is in the course of construction; the A88 will in the long term connect Sées to Caen in 2009. A first phase is envisaged in 2008, where the highway will be open between Falaise and Sées. Sées is today with 1:10 of Caen; it will be necessary to count 50 minutes in 2008; 45 minutes in 2009.
- an aerodrome is under study: the aerodrome of Alençon which cannot more develop because of the enlarging of the city, an aerodrome Sées-Flowering ash is being studied and should be born from here at 2013.
Community life and cultural which professionnalise
- the association of Musilumières de Sées has organized for several years a son et lumi2ere display in the splendid cathedral of Sées. In evening (Friday, Saturday), during the summer.
- Josquin association of Near, present at Sées for more than 40 years, has organized a training course of music for young people and an advanced training course (6 to 25 years) of a dozen days in July. Professors of music (organ, piano, harpsichord, violoncello, violin, viola, flute, recorder…) take part in a voluntary way in a training course whose fame exceeds the borders of the Flowering ash and Normandy! Concerts and go musical are organized by the pupils and the professors in the key places of the city (cathedral, Saint Martin's day church, place of the market). During these twelve days of training course, youngest are framed by a team of organizers approved by the ministry for Youth and the Sports, which also propose plays and taken care.
- Sundays at the edge of the Flowering ash every Sunday of August (free).
- meeting of Loutreuil district, at the beginning of September.
Évêché de Séez
- List of the bishops of Sées
- Évêchés of Normandy
- Lists of the counts then Common dukes of Alençon
- of the Flowering ash
- County of Hiémois
- Forest of Écouves
- Sées on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Sées on the site of INSEE
- Sées on the site of Quid
- Localization of Sées on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Sées on Mapquest
|Random links:||Hexose | Embryotomy | Jean-Luc Dubart | Score of Under Hougue | Jean-Jacques the Barber | Umberto_Eco|