Robin of Wood (Disney)
See also: Robin of Wood
Robin of Wood is the 27e feature film of animation and the 21e " Traditional " studios Disney. Left in 1973, it is inspired at the same time by the legend of the English robber-dispenser of justice and the Romance of Renart , a collection of French medieval accounts of 12th and 13th centuries.
SynopsisIn the medieval England of the Kingdom of the Animals, the king Richard Lion-hearted, superb and generous lion, reign as a good monarch on his subjects. Whereas it left to the Croisades, its crown and its capacity are usurped by his/her brother, the covetous one and cruel prince Jean, advised by Unsavoury individual, a snake as perfidious as malfaisant. Both intrigants work towards one end: to seize all the richnesses of the kingdom. All would go for best, if Robin of Wood, a fox with the sharp spirit and in the middle tending, were not drawn up across their road.
- Title: Robin of Wood
- original Title: Robin Hood
- Realization: Wolfgang Reitherman
- Scenario: Ken Anderson and Larry Clemmons
- Music: Floyd Huddleston and George Brown
- Production: Walt Disney Pictures
- Distribution: Buena Vista Pictures Distribution
- Format: Colors - 1,37:1 (1,75:1 wide) - Mono (RCA Sound System)
- Lasted: 83 minutes
- Budget: 15.000.000 US$
- Comings out date: The United States: November 8th 1973, France: October 30th 1974
- Brian Bedford : Robin Hood (Robin of Wood)
- Phil Harris: Little John (Small Jean)
- Peter Ustinov: Prince John (Prince Jean) /King Richard
- Terry-Thomas: Sir Hiss (Unsavoury individual)
- Monica Evans: Maid Marian (Beautiful Marianne)
- Carole Shelley: Lady Kluck (Gertrude Lady)
- Andy Guesses: Friar Tuck (Tuck Brother)
- Roger Miller: Allan-HAVE-flagstone (Adam of the Market), the cock narrator
- Stalemate Buttram: Sheriff off Nottingham
- George Lindsey: Trigger (Pendard)
- Ken Curtis: Nutsy (Niquedouille)
- Billy Whitaker: Skippy (Bobby)
- Dana Laurita: Located (Sister of Bobby)
- Gilded Whitaker: Tagalong
- Richie Sanders : Toby
- J. Stalemate O' Malley: Otto (Nitwit)
- Candy Candido: Tournament crocodile (Crocodile of the tournament)
- Barbara Luddy: Mother Rabbit (Mother Rabbit) /Mother Church Foams (Mother Mouse)
- John Fiedler: Sexton (Croquenote), a mouse
- Beulah Leaped: Mother Church Foams (Mother Mouse)
- Dominique Paturel: Robin of Wood, a Fox
- Claude Bertrand: Small Jean, a Bear
- Philippe Dumat: Prince Jean, a Lion
- Jean Martinelli: King Richard, a Lion
- Roger Carel: Unsavoury individual, a Snake
- Michele Andre: Beautiful Marianne, a Vixen
- Huguette Morins: Ram Gertrude, a hen
- Pierre Tornade: Brother Tuck, a Badger
- Pierre Vassiliu: Adam of the Market, the Cock narrator
- Marine Jacques: The sheriff of Notthingham, a wolf
- Albert Augier: Pendard, a Vulture
- Francis Lax: Niquedouille, a Vulture
- Marie Francey: Mother Rabbit
- Christophe Bruno: Bobby
- Beatrice Bruno: The sister of Bobby
- Fabrice Bruno: Toby
- Henry Djanik: Nitwit
- Georges Atlas: Crocodile of the tournament
- Guy Pierrault: Croquenote
- Colette Ripert: Mother Mouse
Songs of film
- Which beautiful day really - Adam of the Market
- We were yet only two children - Beautiful Marianne
- Lord the king of bad quality - Small Jean
- Pas in Nottingham - Adam of the Market
Rewards and nominations
- 1974 - Nomination with Oscar for the Best Music, Original Song ( We were yet only two children )
- 1976 - Price with the Golden Screen of Germany
- November 8th 1973 - the United States
- 6 December 1973 - Argentinian
- October 10th, 1974 - Italy
- November 30th, 1974 - Sweden
- December 5th, 1974 - Spain
- October 30th, 1974 - France
- December 13rd, 1974 - West Germany
- December 20th, 1974 - Finland
- July 5th, 1975 - Japan
- March 26th, 1982 - the United States (Arisen)
- December 2nd, 1983 - Sweden (Arisen)
- 1978 - VHS with Format 4/3 (Full screen)
- December 6th 1984 - VHS in North America with Format 4/3
- 1985 - VHS in Europe with Format 4/3
- February 1992 - VHS with Format 4/3
- Fall 1994 - VHS and Laserdisc with Format 4/3
- 1996 - VHS with Format 4/3
- July 4th 2000 - DVD and VHS Collection out of gold (North America) with Format 4/3
- July 26th 2002 - DVD and VHS (Europe)
- November 18th 2006 - DVD Collector (North America)
- June 6th 2007 - DVD Collector (Europe)
Did you know?
- the scene in which Unsavoury individual tries to hypnotize Prince Jean is not without pointing out Kaa trying to hypnotize Mowgli in the Book of the Jungle (1967). " teeth of the bonheur" of Unsavoury individual are in the passing a homage to the actor Terry-Thomas who incarnates it in the original version of film.
When in the forest of Sherwood, Robin prepares to eat while thinking of Belle Marianne, he fredonne the air of the song We was yet only two children .
the sequence of the festival in the forest of Sherwood takes again the " chorégraphies" following:
the coat of Prince Jean is the same one as that of king Léonidas in Apprentie witch (1971).
At the origin of the project, Frère Tuck was to be a pig but the production feared a protest of the religious authorities.
the bell of the vault of Tuck Brother is a true bell which was filmed then added in post-production.
the bells of marriage which one hears at the end of film, are the same ones as in Cendrillon (1950).
At the time of its marriage, Belle Marianne is entirely vêtue of white. However, the dresses of unconsummated marriage did not exist with the Moyen-âge, time at which the history of film is. In the same way, the glasses with branches which carries Mère Rabbit and the jodhpurs that carry Belle Marianne, Dame Gertrude and the sister of Bobby did not exist either at that time.
Robin of Wood collected around 9,5 million $ of receipts at the time of its first exploitation and more still at the time of the second.
Peter Ustinov, which incarnates the voice of the Prince Jean in the english language versions and allemandes of film, acknowledged that he for that had parodied his role of the emperor Néron in the film Quo Vadis (1951).
the original and French voices of Small Jean are the same ones as those of Baloo in the Book of the Jungle . They belong respectively to Phil Harris and Claude Bertrand. It will be also noted that apart from the color of their hair and the aspect of their front legs, the two bears resemble each other besides enough.
Michele André, which lends his voice to Belle Marianne in the French version of film, had already been the voice of Duchess in the French version of the Aristochats ; as for Philippe Dumat (Prince Jean), it will be also the voice of Snoops in the French version of the Aventures of Bernard and Bianca (1977).
the characters of Robin of Wood appear regularly in the televised series Disney' S all out of box .
Prince Jean of origin, object of the legend, was certainly not as malicious as that of film of Disney. When king Richard returned of crusade, Jean was finally designated as his legitimate heir and it reigned during 17 years. It is known to have signed “Magna Carta”, base of the constitutional monarchy and the modern democracy. As historical reference, the “mom” that Prince Jean claims while pleurnichant is not other than celebrates it Aliénor of Aquitaine, one of the characters of the film Robin of Wood and its Merry Companions () , turned in catches of real sights by Disney in 1952.
In the French version of film, Robin is addressed by twice to Belle Marianne by calling it “Marianne, my crumb” because in Former French, “my crumb” was the shortened shape of “my friend”.
- '' Robin of Wood '' in Internet Movie Database
- '' Robin of Wood '': the original drawings on Disney-Files
- '' Robin of Wood '' on Ultimate Disney
- Archives '' DisneyOnline ''
|Random links:||Draillant | Isla santa, Anglesey | Coffea arabica | Pierre Foldes | Pigeonnet | Song with the one! | Liste_de_prisons_d'État_de_la_Louisiane|