Pronunciation of Riom: J ɔ̃ as in informat' ion' .
The inhabitants of Riom are called the Riomois .
BlazonBlazon of Riom: Of azure to the letter R capital of gold surmounted by two flowers of lily of same.
- Riom is located at 15 km in the North of the chief town of area, Clermont-Ferrand:
AdministrationGeneral adviser of Riom-Is General adviser of Riom-Is General adviser of Riom-Is since 2004
InheritanceThe downtown area of Riom is classified sector safeguarded within the meaning of the law on the protection of the inheritance (law known as " Malraux" code of town planning). In order to instigate this inheritance, Riom within the framework of the community of communes, belongs to the network of the label Ville of art and history .
The Saint-Amable churchA Baptistère is built at the 5th century by Amable, priest of Riom. Building served by a chapter of Canon S of Saint-Augustin since 1077 and which becomes secular in 1548. With the Revolution, the church becomes a workshop of Salpêtre. Eighteen months later, it is returned to the worship. It is entitled Basilique since 1912. It is more ostentation building of the diocese after the Cathédrale of Clermont. Its architecture is complex since it is marked by all the periods:
- a Nef bordered of two Bas-côté S which is of Romance style although it is built in Pierre de Volvic (volcanic stone) employed only as from the 13th century. It would be thus about a late novel;
- a chorus with Déambulatoire and radiating chapels typically Gothic;
- the vaults blazing Gothic north of style (fine 14th century);
- southern vaults going back to 1747 (they fill the demolition of the cloister at that time);
- the western frontage of 1750;
- the Transept and the Bell-tower which are rebuilt in 1855.
The church Our-Lady-of-Marthuret
The tower of the ClockIt is located at the center of the commercial district, street Commercial, with the Coin of the Clinks . The turn of the Clock is old the Beffroi, symbol of the communal freedoms acquired thanks to the charter of frankness, Alphonsine in 1270. It was built as from 1391 to receive the bell of the city. The low part of square plan serves as sitted with the octagonal tower built about 1530. In 1646, a hurricane reverses its original crowning. With the Revolution, one removes the royal symbols (decorations of flowers of lily…). The access to the top (true platform) makes it possible to discover a sight of the whole of the urban landscape and campaigns environnantes.
It is from now on the seat of the Animation service of the Inheritance of Riom Communauté.
The Ste Chapelle and Court of Appeal
See also: Court of Appeal of Riom
The monument of shot
Located in the cemetery of Riom, it is dedicated to the memory of the Poilus shot for the example. It is registered: " With the innocent victims of the councils of war 1914 - 1918 and with those of the militia and Gestapo 1939 - 1944". It is one of the War memorials pacifist of France.
Antiquity and Early middle ages
- 50 av. J. - C.: Presence of a Gallo-Roman borough, Ricomagum (which means Riche market );
- 5th century: Foundation of a sanctuary and a baptistry by Amable saint;
- 475: Died of Holy Amable;
- 538: Birth of Gregoire de Tours in Riom;
- 7th century: Enlarging of the Saint-Amable church.
The low Middle Ages
- 1077 : Installation of a chapter of Canon S;
- 12th century: Construction of the Vault Saint-Gift and the Midsummer's Day gate;
- 1210 - 1211: Conquest of the Auvergne by the troops of Philippe-Auguste;
- 1212: Riom becomes the capital of the Earth of Auvergne;
- 1280 - 1235: Construction of the chorus of the Saint-Amable church;
- 1241 - 1271: Prerogative of Alphonse of Poitiers;
- 1270: Foundation of a Convent of Cordeliers in the suburb;
- 1308: Rebuilding of the parish church Notre-Dame of Marthuret;
- 1362: Construction of the Convent of the Cordeliers intramurally ;
- 1365: Beginning of the Prerogative of Jean de Berry;
- 1384 - 1403: Construction of the Ste Chapelle by Hugues Foucher, architect, for Jean de Berry;
- 1391: Construction of the tower of the Clock;
- 1416: Died of Jean de Berry and beginning of the Prerogative of the Bourbons;
- 1429: Letter of Jeanne d' Arc with the inhabitants of Riom (original text on Wikisource);
- 1450: First sight of Riom, drawing of Guillaume Revel in his Armorial ;
- 1477 and 1490: Several series of earthquakes which destroy a good part of the area riomoise.
- 1508 : Construction of the hotel of Cériers, current town hall;
- 1530: Return of Auvergne and Riom to the crown of France;
- About 1530: Construction of the house of the Consuls and the Guymoneau hotel;
- 1541: Installation of justice with Riom;
- 1551: Installation of the Présidial in Riom;
- 1577: Installation of a Office of finances;
- 1589: Wars of religion in Auvergne. Riom is the chief of the Ligue in Low-Auvergne;
- 1618: Installation of the Fathers of the Oratory;
- 1630: Large Plague in Riom;
- 1646: Large hurricane in Riom;
- 1658: Construction of the general hospital;
- 1687: Woodwork S of the Saint-Amable church;
- 1739: Demolition of the ramparts of the city;
- 1740: Construction of the Dufraisse Hotel of Cheix, current Mandet museum.
- 1789 : Malouet, deputy of Riom;
- 1790: Soubrany, mayor of Riom;
- 1792: Gilbert Rome and Soubrany, deputies of the Convention;
- 1793: Installation of the place of the Federation;
- 1794: Destruction of the arrow of the Saint-Amable church;
- 1795: Execution of the deputies Rome and Soubrany.
- 1801 : Riom becomes Sous-préfecture Puy-de-Dôme;
- 1824 - 1848: Construction of the Court of Appeal;
- 1855: Arrival of the railroad in Riom;
- 1859: Creation of the Mandet museum;
- 1862: Travel of Napoleon III to Auvergne and more particularly in Riom;
- 1883: Construction of the manufacture of the tobaccos places Rouher.
- 1904 - 1935: Etienne Clémentel, mayor of Riom;
- 1940 (June 20th): Bombardment of Riom;
- 1940 (July 30th): Riom becomes the Supreme court of justice;
- 1942 (February at April): Lawsuit of Riom;
- 1944 (August 25th): Release of Riom;
- 1963: Construction of the Station;
- 1967: Riom, classified sector safeguarded ;
- 1969: Creation of the museum of Auvergne (or ATP: Art and Popular Tradition );
- 1975: Riom, classified Town of art ;
- 1979: Donation of the Richard collection at the town of Riom (Mandet museum);
- 1983: Inauguration of renovated the Mandet museum (contribution of the Richard collection);
- 1983 - 1989: Social housing construction in the district of the tanneries;
- 1989 - 1995: Claude Liebermann, mayor of Riom;
- 1990: Construction of the vocational school Marie Laurencin;
- 1992: Restoration of the college Michel of Hospital.
- Altadis (ex the SEITA, manufacture of the tobaccos);
- Factory of drugs MSD, with its mineral gardens by Philippe Treyve;
- Luminox (factory of autonomous blocks of emergency lighting), subsidiary of the Cooper american company.
- Pierre-Joël Bonté (1946-2006), mayor of Riom (1995-1998), president of the general advice of the Puy-de-Dôme (1998-2004), president of the District council of Auvergne (March 2004 - January 2006).
- Amable-Guillaume-Prosper Brugière count de Barante (born in Riom in 1782).
- Anne of the Borough, French magistrate.
- Etienne Clémentel, politician.
- Antoine Danchet (born in Riom in 1671), French poet, member of the French Academy between 1712 and 1748.
- Henri Doniol French historian and high-civil servant
- Gilbert Génébrard (born in Riom in 1535), Christian theologist.
- Hippolyte Gomot, politician.
- Charles-Gilbert Rome, originator of the republican Calendar.
- Eugene Rouher born in Riom in 1814, politician of the Second Empire (Minister of state, called the Vice-Emperor), then of IIIe republic.
- Jacques Sirmond, man of the church, confessor of Louis XIII.
- Jean Sirmond (1589-1640) member of the French Academy.
- Alan Stivell, Breton Song writer and performer , (Alan Cochevelou) born in Riom in 1944
- Gregoire de Tours, historian.
- Rufus actor
Marie-Anne Barnier, Riom, town of art and history , 1995.
- Henri Michel, the Lawsuit of Riom , edition Albin Michel, Paris, 1979.
- Marie-Claire Ricard, Image of Riom , 1984.
- Josiane Teyssot, Riom 1212 - 1557, capital and good town of Auvergne , Little nun, Editions To create, 1999.
Official site of the town of Riom
- Official site of the local Office of tourism of the Country of Riom
- Tourist office of Riom the Community
- Riom the Community (official site of the community of communes)
- Official site of the Cities and Country of Art and History
- Riom on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Riom on the site of INSEE
- Riom on the site of Quid
- Localization of Riom on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Riom on Mapquest
|Random links:||List Presidents of the district councils in France | Fischbach (Lucerne) | Imperial catechism | Paul Thellier | CKC|