Its inhabitants is called Romarimontains.
Remiremont is located at the confluence of the the Moselle and the Moselotte. It is also located at the crossroads of RN 66 (E512), RN 57 (E23) and RD 417 to 27 km of Épinal, 30 km of Gérardmer, 59 km of Thann and 32 km of Luxeuil-the-Baths. The valley of the Moselle communicates beyond the Col of Bussang (731 m) with the valley of the the Thur by RN 66.
The local configuration was strongly modified by the construction of the road deviation on left bank of the Moselle. The extraction of materials for this work created in 1988 a water level of a little more than 9 hectares. This small lake is the appointment of the migratory birds as much as tourists in search of greenery and leisures. In addition to the observation of the birds and fishing, many activities are proposed around the water level: diving, canoe-kayak, bathe (supervised during the summer months), game of bowls and board with veil. It is also the starting point of a Green lane driving with Cornimont and Bussang.
HistoryThe name of Remiremont derives from Latin Romarici Mons , the " mount of Romaric". Saint Romaric was noble court of Austrasie in Metz, which forsook the businesses of court for the monastic life, under the influence of Amé of Remiremont, monk preacher disciple of Saint Colomban. They made set up two monasteries with the Saint-Mount, one of men, the other of women at the top, where holy Romaric lived during thirty years, until its death in 653.
The foundation of the chapter of Remiremont goes back to year 620. It follows a rule approved by Louis Débonnaire and published into 816 to the Concile of Aachen. Little by little, the monastery of origin became a community of chanoinesses, secular and feudal, the Chapitre of Remiremont , reserved to the young girls of the nobility. About fifty noble ladies lived there richly because the abbey had many possessions and the abbess had row of princess of the Holy roman Empire. At the 15th century, the dukes of Lorraine established their suzerainty on the chapter, taking the title of counts de Remiremont . This situation did not survive a long time the French revolution: the December 7th 1790, the abbey church was closed after eleven centuries of existence.
- Of mouths, with two money keys in saltire.
- abbey the Saint-Pierre is the church of Remiremont. It is in major Gothic part even if the frontage and the bell-tower were rebuilt at the XVIIIe century. Inside, with beautiful decorations of false marble of the XVIIe century decorate the chorus decorated with a monumental retable, especially designed for the exposure of the mountings of relics. On the right chorus, is the statue of Our-Lady-of-Treasure dating from XIe century. Below the chorus, a crypt made up of 3 parts dates from XIe century. In the first part various tombs are. In the second, the groined vaults rest on columns monoliths. In the third finally, closed with the public, one found murals. The church was recently renovated like its organ.
- the old clock of abbey was installed in 1855 by Jean-Baptiste Schwilgué, the author of the third astronomical clock of the cathedral of Strasbourg. It was motorized about 1950, then replaced. About 1989 it was restored by the company Sonorest de Colmar, but not in its country of origin (the wheel of movement was not reconstituted and the clock is presented to the Charles museum of Heather with his various disconnected parts, because of use of three distinct cloches). It is probably about the last large clock of Schwilgué.
Coupled with the church, the old abbey palate, of traditional style, built by the abbess Anne Charlotte of Lorraine, girl of the duke Léopold Ier, presents a beautiful frontage. Today, this palate shelters the court of Remiremont with also the Town hall of the commune.
- There still remains some houses of chanoinesses of XVIIe and XVIIIe centuries in the district of the church and the palate.
- the main street of the city is the street Charles-Of-Gaulle. This street has arcades, with the flowered pillars of géraniums, witnesses of the town planning of the XVIIIe century.
- the municipal museum Charles-of-Heather exposes the history of Remiremont and the Lorraine craft industry: wood, laces, " fixés" (paintings annealed glass). There are in particular invaluable manuscripts, tapestries coming from the old abbey, the Lorraine Gothic sculptures, earthenware of the 18th century and the tables of the Scandinavian painting of the XVIIe century.
- the house-museum Charles-Friry is located in an old hotel of Chanoinesses close to the church. The museum has documentation, statues, objets d'art, inherited the Ladies of Remiremont or referring to the local history and the area. There are also many paintings of XVIIe and XVIIIe centuries, engravings and parts of furniture, times and sources various. The most beautiful work of art of the museum is the Watcher with the satchel paints share Georges of the Tower. In the garden of the museum, which reconstitutes the " partly; Large Jardin" abbey, one finds two old fountains decorative and some other vestiges.
- the statue of the Volunteer of the An II is a work of the sculptor Paul-François Chopin. This statue was created in 1899 and celebrates the good citizenship of the inhabitants of the district of Remiremont who sent the first volunteers to defend the fatherland in danger (1792). It became the emblem of the city.
The Canton of Remiremont is composed of the communes of Cleurie, Dommartin-lès-Remiremont, Éloyes, Faucompierre, the Forging mill, Jarménil, Pouxeux, Raon-with-Wood, Remiremont , Saint-Heart, Saint-Etienne-the-Remiremont, Saint-Nabord, the Trade union, Tendon, Tholy and Vecoux. These 16 communes add up 33 146 inhabitants.
The Communauté of communes of the Porte of the High-Vosges gathers, since January 1st 2004, Remiremont and four common neighbors, Dommartin-lès-Remiremont, Saint-Etienne-the-Remiremont, Saint-Nabord and Vecoux, are a population of 19 345 inhabitants.
People related to the commune; Natives of Remiremont:
- Alix the Clerk (1576-1622), founder of the Congregation of Notre-Dame
- Jean-Baptiste Christmas (1727 - 1793), tax receiver, chancellor of the chapter then appointed with Convention, decapitated in Paris.
- Abbot Bexon (1748 - 1784), French, collaborator naturalist of Buffon ( Natural history )
- Jules Méline (1838 - 1925), several times Minister for Agriculture and chief of the Government in 1896
- Leon Werth (1878 - 1955), art writer and critic
- Jean Rodhain (1900 - 1977), founder of the Catholic aid
- Paul Delouvrier (1914 - 1995), senior official of the State, one of the principal craftsmen of the planning which reorganized France during the “glorious Thirty”
- Julien Absalon, Olympic champion 2004 in VTT
; Famous characters:
Schools; First degree:
- School complex Jules Ferry
- School complex of Maix
- School complex of Rhumont
- School complex of Révillon
- Private school Saint-Romaric
; Second degree:
- College Andre Malraux, usually called " Béchamp" since it succeeded the Jules-Méline college of the downtown area
- private Lycée Jeanne d' Arc
- Regional Vocational school Camille Claudel
- Collège the Hillock
- Collège Charlet
- private Collège Saint-Joseph
- Official site of the town of Remiremont
- Site of the parish of Remiremont
- Site of the College Charlet de Remiremont
- Remiremont on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Remiremont on the site of INSEE
- Remiremont on the site of Quid
- Localization of Remiremont on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Remiremont on Mapquest
- Remiremont on Google Maps
- Remiremont on Cassini
- the Fort of Parmont
|Random links:||Rules of priority in France | Abaï Kunanbaïouli | Beijing Olympians | Doppelsöldner | Silene rupestris | 1607|