See also: Nadal
His/her uncle Miguel Ángel was player of FC Barcelona and the Spanish selection during the years 1990. At the four years age, another uncle, Toni Nadal, judge that Rafael is gifted for tennis and becomes its trainer then. He also learned how with his nephew to play with the left arm: Rafael being naturally droitier, Toni Nadal estimated that its reverse with two hands would benefit from a strong right-hand man.
It began its career as a professional in 2001 and currently forms part of the team of Spain of Coupe Davis which gained the test in 2004. In July 2005, it becomes n°2 world with the technical classification ATP.
The June 11th 2006, it gains its 60e consecutive victory over beaten Ground and the tournament of Roland Garros for the second consecutive time. It to date holds 81 consecutive victories over Ground beaten, more the long series of victories on only one surface of the history of the Tennis at the men. Rafael Nadal gains finally her third Roland Garros consecutive the June 10th 2007 against Federer. There thus remains unconquered in this tournament of the Grand Slam.
the finished tournaments are removed table
Titles into simple (23)
Finales into simple (6)
Titles in double (3)
| valign=top width=33% align=" center" |
Finales in double (3)
| valign=top width=33% align=" center" |
Nadal in short since 2002
- 1 victory against 1 defeat is 50% of victories
- 14 victories against 11 defeats is 56% of victories
Season after season
Nadal, then 17 years old, takes part in its first two tournaments of the Grand Slam but it is eliminated with the third turn with Wimbledon by the inhabitant of Thailand Paradorn Srichaphan (6-4,6-4,6-2) then with the second round with the US Open by the Morrocan Younes El Aynaoui.
Nadal takes part with the team of Spain in the Coupe Davis where it gains with the first turn against Radek Štěpánek at the time of Spain-Republic Czech (3-2), then in semi-final against Arnaud Clément at the time of Spain-France (4-1). Finally, vis-a-vis the United States, it carries it against Andy Roddick 6-7 (6-8), 6-2, 7-6 (8-6), 6-2 at the time of the second match and Spain carries it finally 3 to 2.
It reaches its first final with Auckland where it loses vis-a-vis Slovak Dominik Hrbatý in 3 handles (4-6,6-2,7-5). It also gains its first major tournament into simple with Sopot, over beaten ground, vis-a-vis Argentinian the Acasuso 6-3, 6-4.
In 2004, Rafael must take part in the Internationaux of France but a wound prevents it from taking share there. It takes part nevertheless in the Open of Australia and with the US Open but it is eliminated respectively with the third turn on " rebound ace" then with the second turn on " dur" by Australian the Lleyton Hewitt and American Andy Roddick (6-0,6-3,6-4).
2005Rafael left in eighth finale the Open Australia on the score 7-5, 3-6, 1-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 by Australian the Lleyton Hewitt, which had eliminated it in the same tournament one year earlier. Nevertheless, it is the first time of its career which it reaches the second week of a major tournament. With the Masters of Miami where Rafael Nadal is dominated in 5 sets 2-6, 6-7, 7-6, 6-3, 6-1 by Federer after having gained the 2 first sleeves.
The April 17th, the Spaniard overrides Guillermo Coria with Monte Carlo in four sets 6-3, 6-1, 0-6, 7-5. It also gains vis-a-vis the French Gaël Monfils: 6-3, 6-2. In half, carried out 7-6 (8-6) and 2-0 by another French, Richard Gasquet it is essential finally 6-4,6-3 in the two last sleeves. On its impetus of the tournament of Barcelona where it finally carries it (6-1, 7-6, 6-3) against its compatriot Juan Carlos Ferrero, Nadal connects three turns of the tournament of Rome. In quarters, it beats Radek Štěpánek (5-7, 6-1, 6-1) then David Ferrer (4-6, 6-4, 7-5) in semi-final. The May 2nd, it finally beats Argentinian the Guillermo Coria, finalist with Roland Garros the previous year, in five sets (6-4, 3-6, 6-3, 4-6, 7-6) during 5:14. Nadal, which will declare after the match that it has just gained " the hardest match of its vie" , becomes the favorite of the Internationaux of France. With the first and second turns, it eliminates the German Burgsmuller (6-1, 7-6 (7-4), 6-1) then the Belgian Xavier Malisse 6-2,6-2,6-3 in three sets. With the 3rd turn, it eliminates Richard Gasquet in three handles 6-4,6-3,6-2. In eighth of finale, Sebastien Grosjean is the first to take to him a set 6-4, 3-6, 6-0, 6-3, at the end of a match stopped during fifteen minutes because of the whistles of the public towards the referee, after a litigious action. In 1/4 of finale, it eliminates its compatriot David Ferrer 7-5, 6-2, 6-0. In semi-final, Nadal beats Roger Federer 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. It gains the final vis-a-vis Argentinian the Mariano Puerta 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-1, 7-5 in 3:24. In the first sleeve, Nadal leads 2 to 0 but its adversary totals 3 everywhere and the two players must dispute a Tie-break. Rafael Nadal takes advantage 3-2 but it is Mariano Puerta which carries it finally 8-6 in 1 h 12. With the second set, the Spanish wonder breake with the fourth play and gains finally 6-3. The Argentinian one made the show but it cracks with third set 6-1 after 2 h 21 of match. In the fourth handle, the Argentinian one dominates but loses finally against Nadal which draws aside 3 balls of 2 sets everywhere before gaining 7-5. The trophy is given to him by the Footballeur French Zinedine Zidane.
In the other tournaments of the Large Slam, Nadal will not know the same success. It is indeed eliminated with the second round from Wimbledon by the Luxembourger Gilles Muller (6-4,4-6,6-3,6-4) and with the third turn from the US Open by American James Blake (6-4,4-6,6-3,6-1).
With Bastad, Majorquin gains finally, against Tomas Berdych (2-6, 6-2, 6-4). It connects by the Tournoi of Stuttgart, which it gains. It also gains Masters of the Canada, on hard, vis-a-vis Andre Agassi by 6-3, 4-6, 6-2. Its last title of the season, Rafael Nadal obtains it with the Masters of Madrid on hard, vis-a-vis the Croat Ivan Ljubičić. Led 2 sets to 0 (3-6, 2-6), Nadal, gains the two following sleeves (6-3,6-4). It gains the fifth handle with the Tie-break by 7 to 3.
Rafael Nadal declares fixed price for the tournament of Sydney following a wound with the foot which it had caused in October 2005 at the time of Masters Series of Madrid. It also made the dead end on Masters of Shanghai and on tournament ATP of Chennai, test of opening of the springtide. It does not take part either in the Open of Australia.
With the tournament of Marseilles, it loses in semi-final vis-a-vis Arnaud Clément. Its following tournament will be that of Dubai where it gains the final against the world number one Roger Federer 2-6, 6-4, 6-4. In semi-final of the Masters Series of Indian Wells, it is eliminated by James Blake. With the tournament of Miami, Nadal loses vis-a-vis its compatriot Carlos Moya. It gains its second title of the year to the Masters of Monte Carlo against Roger Federer which it gains 6-2, 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 7-6 (7-5).
To Barcelona, Nadal is carried out by Jarkko Nieminen into 1/4 (4-6, 1-4) before taking again the advantage. April 29th, 2006, Rafael joined the Swede Bjorn Borg, being qualified for the final of the Open of Barcelona where he faces his friend Tommy Robredo. Thanks to its broad victory in 3 sets finally of the tournament (6-4,6-4,6-0).
Mid-May 2006, at the time of the tournament of Rome, Rafael faces Federer again finally. After five hours of match, the Spaniard carries it in five sets 6-7 (0/7), 7-6 (7/5), 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7/5) but while trembling. Majorquin is carried out 1-4 in the fifth set, saves two match points to 5-6 (15-40), and still returns from 3-5 to 7-5 in the decisive play. Just like its adversary, it declares fixed price thereafter in Hamburg for the third consecutive year due to tiredness.
The May 29th 2006, it beats the Swede Robin Soderling 6-2,7-5,6-1 during the Internationaux of France. Put in difficulty at the third turn by the French Paul-Henri Mathieu, it finally carries it in 4 sets and 4 h 53 of match on the score of 5-7,6-4,6-4,6-4.
Monday June 5th 2006, Rafael gains the eighth of finale vis-a-vis Lleyton Hewitt 3 sets with 1 (6-2,5-7,6-4,6-2). In quarterfinals, it gains by fixed price of its Serb adversary Novak Đoković; the Spaniard carried out 6-4 6-4 and 30-15 on the service of his adversary after 1 h 54 of play when Đoković gave up. He meets then the fourth world player, Croatian Ivan Ljubičić, whom he beats in three sets 6-4, 6-2, 7-6 (9-7). Sunday June 11th 2006, it gains the tournament of Roland-Garros 2006 against Roger Federer in 4 sets (1-6, 6-1, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)). After being beaten in the first sleeve, it carries it in the second set. It carries the match and it is the former Swedish tennis player Stefan Edberg, victorious of 6 Grands Slams which gives the Cut of the musketeers to him.
In quarter with Wimbledon for the first time, it is qualified for the semi-finals of the London tournament after having beaten the Finn Jarkko Nieminen 6-3 6-4 6-4 before reaching the finale by beating Cypriot the Márcos Baghdatís 6-1, 7-5, 6-3.
Finally, it east demolishes in 4 handles against Roger Federer (6-0 7-6 6-7 6-3. Of return to him, on its island of Majorque, it is victim of an car accident without gravity by striking an electric transformer. It disputes both masters series on the American ground (Toronto and Cincinnati) where it is inclined with the third turn and in quarterfinal. With US Open, it is beaten by Mikhail Youzhny in quarterfinal on the score of 6-3,5-7,7-6 (7-5), 6-1.
He declares fixed price for the Open of China because of a wrench with ankle.
2007It reaches the semi-finals of the Open of Chennai (India) where it loses against Xavier Malisse. It also takes part in the Tournoi of Sydney but gives up with the first turn against Chris Guccione, player Australian 21 years. It then takes share with the Open of Australia where it reaches for the first time the quarterfinals by beating Andrew Murray after a match concluded on the score from 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 before being inclined vis-a-vis Fernando Gonzalez, in 3 sets (6-2, 6-4, 6-3). Wounded, he declares fixed price for the first tower of the Coupe Davis against the Suisse (victory 3-2) then for the tournament of Marseilles.
He carries out his return on the courts at the time of the tournament of Dubai. But after two first difficult turns vis-a-vis Márcos Baghdatís (3-6 6-2 6-3) and vis-a-vis Igor Andreev (6-2 3-6 7-6), it loses for the second consecutive time vis-a-vis Mikhail Youzhny in two sets (7-6 6-3).
It takes part then in the Indian Wells which it gains without losing only one set, by dominating finally new the star Serbe Novak Đoković (6-2, 7-5), after having eliminated inter alia its compatriot Juan Carlos Ferrero (6-1, 6-1) in eighth and especially Andy Roddick (6-3, 6-4) in half. It connects the following week with Miami where it is beaten in quarter-of-finale by Đoković on the score of 6-4, 6-3.
It gains some time later the Masters of Monte Carlo, by beating Roger Federer 6-4, 6-4 without to have lost only one set of all the tournament. It is thus the first to carry out the triplet in Principality since Ilie Nastase (1971 to 1973). With the tournament of Barcelona, it carries it vis-a-vis the Italian Potito Starace in quarterfinal, then it gains the tournament for the third consecutive year against Guillermo Canas over the score of 6-3, 6-4 in 1:41. It is the twentieth title of its career. These results enable him to replace at the head Roger Federer of the classification Race of the ATP dated from the April 30th.
May 2nd, 2007, it gains an original match of exhibition over a ground covered with half of beaten Ground and with half of grass called: the battle of surfaces against Roger Federer in Palma de Majorque (7-5, 4-6, 7-6).
By beating Nikolaï Davydenko (7-6, 6-7, 6-4) of more than 3:30 in semi-final of the Masters of Rome the May 12th, Rafael Nadal beats the record held by John McEnroe of victories of sharpened on only one surface. The American had remained unconquered 75 matches on fast surface in room between September 1983 and April 1985. Nadal beats finally Fernando Gonzalez (6-2, 6-2) in 1:24 and becomes the first player to impose three times of following the Foro Italico.
The following week with Hamburg, Nadal is in race to become the first player to gain the same year the three Masters Series disputed over beaten Ground. It beats Oscar Hernandez and Igor Andreev. In quarterfinal, it beats Fernando Gonzalez (6-4, 6-4). After a difficult beginning of match, Nadal carries it in 3 sets on Lleyton Hewitt in semi-final (2-6, 6-3, 7-5). Finally, it is beaten in 3 sets by Roger Federer (6-2, 2-6, 0-6). It preserves nevertheless the head of the classification Race of the ATP. With Roland-Garros, gains the first turns by beating Argentinian the Juan Martin Del Potro (7-5, 6-3, 6-2), the Italian Flavio Cipolla (6-2, 6-1, 6-4) and the Spaniard Albert Montanes (6-1, 6-3, 6-2). It gains the match vis-a-vis Lleyton Hewitt in three sets: 6-3, 6-1, 7-6 (7-5). Always in three handles, it beats its compatriot, Carlos Moya (6-4, 6-3, 6-0) then Serb the Novak Đoković, (7-5, 6-4, 6-2). It reaches for the third consecutive time (in three participations) the final of the Internationaux of France which it carries vis-a-vis Switzerland Roger Federer in four sets 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 at the end of 3:10 of play.
It takes part the following week in the Tournoi of Queen' S in order to prepare with Wimbledon. It gains respectively the two first turns vis-a-vis Juan Martin Del Potro which it had already met with the first turn of Roland-Garros (6-4, 6-4) and vis-a-vis the Belorusse max Mirnyi in a recontre gained 7-6 (7-3), 6-3. It is beaten during the quarter-of-finale against the French Nicolas Mahut in two sets 7-5, 7-6.
With Wimbledon, it reaches the final but is inclined in 5 sets against Roger Federer (7-6, 4-6, 7-6, 2-6, 6-2). This 2nd final of sharpened in London constitutes a confirmation of the good provisions of Nadal on grass which contrary to the edition 2006, inherited a complicated table: Robin Söderling (beaten in 5 days and as many sets!), Mikhail Youzhny (still 5 sets after being led 2 sets to nothing), Tomáš Berdych then finally Novak Đoković in half finale!
It takes part one week after in the Tournoi of Stuttgart which it finally gains vis-a-vis Switzerland Stanislas Wawrinka (6-4, 7-5) after having failed to give up with the second turn of the tournament due to a pain to the knee. It is its sixth title of the year and the twenty-third of its career. With 5445 points with the technical classification ATP, Nadal in addition reaches its best classification since its beginnings as a professional in 2001.
It connects then with the American round, which begins with the Masters from Canada. After being itself not easily hoisted in semi-final, it inclines 7-5, 6-3 vis-a-vis the future winner of the test, Novak Djokovic. The following week, it takes part in the Masters of Cincinnati but, carried out 7-6 4-1, it gives up during its first match vis-a-vis Argentinian the Juan Monaco due pains with the knees.
In spite of scouring wounds (tendinitises) and is likely it to be wounded very seriously, it takes part in the last Grand Slam of the year: the US Open. It begins the tournament vis-a-vis one qualified, the 123e world player Alun Jones. In difficulty because of its tendinitises, Rafael is essential with difficulty 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 in nearly three hours. the second round is simpler since the Spaniard falls on somebody from more wounded than him of the person from Janko Tipsarevic, which gives up after the loss of the two first sleeves. It is thus qualified for the third turn, where it faces the French OJ-Wilfried Tsonga. After a first very disputed set gained 7-3 with the tie break by the world n°2, this last outclasses its adversary completely and is essential finally 7-6, 6-2, 6-1. This stage, it seems to have begun again possession of its means and a place finally is not so any more improbable. Nevertheless, it is one of its compatriots, David Ferrer, which will put a term at its adventure. Indeed, Nadal, big favorite since victorious of their 4 last confrontations, initially the first set with difficulty 7-3 with the tie break gains. But its adversary is not let make and succeeded in gaining with the forceps the three following sleeves 6-4, 7-6, 6-2. Because of these defeats during an American round which will not have really smiled to him, Nadal yields its first place to the Race classification with the profit of Roger Federer, which will have made does better than Spanish in the three American tournaments, since world number 1 while remaining in string for one the 4th consecutive success with Flushing Meadows was essential on Cincinnati after its lost final with Montreal. Thereafter, Nadal declares fixed price for several tournaments in order to look after its wounds.
It is aligned with the tournaments of Madrid where, exempted of first out of turn in its quality of world number 2, it waits to play Baghdatis. While playing on these grounds, Nadal hopes to put an end to the food shortage which undermines its prize list and which lasts since nearly three months. Alas for him, insufficiently given of wounds, it is inclined heavily in quarterfinal against Argentinian the David Nalbandian on the score of 6-1, 6-2.
In November, for her first participation in the Masters of Paris-Bercy, Rafael Nadal makes a good course while eliminating from the players such as Mikhail Youzhny, Stanislas Wawrinka or Marcos Baghdatis and arrives until finally. It is however made eliminate by Argentinian the David Nalbandian in a match with one way 6/4-6/0. Rafael Nadal will thus not make not doubled the Roland Garros-Bercy like the American Andre Agassi in 1999.
At the time of the Masters Cup, Nadal dominates with difficulty the French Richard Gasquet in three handles before losing vis-a-vis its compatriot and future finalist of the test, David Ferrer. It gains nevertheless its last hen match and is qualified for the semi-finals. It is beaten by Roger Federer on the score of 6-4 6-1 after having in particular lost the first 13 points of the second set. Nadal remains number 2 world, but did not gain the least title any more since July 2007.
In Large Slam
With the Masters of tennis
In the Masters Series
- In lower part of the result is the name of the ultimate adversary.
Detail of its performances in Large Slam in Masters Series and with Masters:
"To gain against a champion as Rafael means much for me. Rafael is a fantastic player. It will be present a long time and I am glad to have gained this title before it takes tout" (Roger Federer, July 8th 2007).
- " I had sometimes chance. It was a match so tight which Rafael would have deserved to also carry aujourd'hui" (Roger Federer, July 8th 2007).
- " On beaten ground and especially in Roland Garros, it is almost unplayable, not even Roger has the capacities for the battre" (John McEnroe, June 18th 2007).
- " Rafa, it is the Ronaldinho of tennis, and one did not finish hearing parler" of it; (Gustavo Kuerten June 18th, 2007).
- " The adversary should be looked at. It is remarkable, very hard to play, in particular at the time of the moments importants." (Roger Federer, June 10th 2007).
- " Today I did many errors but it is because of Rafa. It one is crowned joueur." (Roger Federer, June 10th 2007).
- " To gain a match over ground beaten against him, its limites." should be exceeded; (Novak Đoković, June 8th 2007).
- " I could not pose my play. It was very difficult to attack it. It showed a very great solidity and I could not make large-thing against lui." (Carlos Moya, June 6th 2007).
- " It strikes the ball differently from all others. Its top spin in right blow is incredible. Players have very right skilleds, but that of Nadal is superb. The ball squirts énormément." (Lleyton Hewitt, June 4th 2007).
- " Nadal is a true animal, as well on the physical level as on the mental level. It is exceptional. " (Serena Williams, May 14th 2007).
- " That was exploited the physique, only. Physically, it is enormous " (Nikolaï Davydenko, May 12th 2007).
- " Rafael remains on an extraordinary series on beaten ground and it completely deserves to gain " (Roger Federer, June 11th 2006).
- " Nadal is intimidating, even Federer " (John McEnroe, June 11th 2006).
- " Me, I say to you, they are not ice floes in the towel, but of potatoes. Nadal needs to work a little its physique, even during the matches! " (John McEnroe, June 11th 2006).
- " Nadal has incredible hands: it can make adjustments at the last time to change the trajectory and to surprise the adversary " (John McEnroe, June 11th 2006).
- " Nadal made enormous progress with the service: if it continues to be useful like that, it can gain Wimbledon! " (John McEnroe, June 11th 2006).
- " Even when it evolves/moves on an average level, it puts the very high bar. It runs everywhere, one with the impression which it never tires. Perhaps it comes from another planet. " (Paul-Henri Mathieu, June 3rd 2006).
- " Frankly, I find the maturity of this incredible kid " (Mats Wilander, May 29th 2005).
- " I even had the impression, at the end of his match against David Ferrer, which it was ready to play his semi-final against Roger Federer in the tread " (Mats Wilander, May 31st 2005).
- " And me also I would like to play Nadal. It is so enthralling to see playing " (Andre Agassi, May 7th 2005).
Confrontations with its main adversariesConfrontations at the time of the various tournaments ATP and in Coupe Davis. Situation at November 16th, 2007:
- Against Roger Federer (ATP 1):
- 8 victories and 6 defeats
- Last confrontation: victory of Roger Federer in 2 sets with Masters Cup 2007.
- Against David Nalbandian (ATP 9):
- 0 victory and 2 defeats
- Last confrontation: victory of David Nalbandian in 2 sets with the Masters of Paris-Bercy 2007
- Against Andy Roddick (ATP 5):
- 2 victories and 1 defeat
- Last confrontation: victory of Rafael Nadal in 2 sets with the Masters d' Indian Wells 2007.
- Against Nikolaï Davydenko (ATP 4):
- 2 victories and 0 defeat
- Last confrontation: victory of Rafael Nadal in 3 sets with the Masters of Rome 2007.
- Against Tommy Robredo (ATP 10):
- 4 victories and 0 defeat
- Last confrontation: victory of Rafael Nadal in 2 sets with the Masters Cup 2006
- Against Ivan Ljubičić (ATP 15):
- 3 victories and 1 defeat
- Last confrontation: victory of Rafael Nadal in 3 sets with Roland-Garros 2006.
- Against Mikhail Youzhny (ATP 17):
- 6 victories and 3 defeats
- Last confrontation: victory of Rafael Nadal in 2 sets with the Masters of Paris-Bercy 2007.
- Against Tomáš Berdych (ATP 12):
- 3 victories and 3 defeats
- Last confrontation: victory of Rafael Nadal in 3 sets with the Tournament of Wimbledon 2007.
- Against James Blake (ATP 10):
- 0 victory and 3 defeats
- Last confrontation: victory of James Blake in 2 sets with the Masters Cup of Shanghai in 2006.
- Against Fernando Gonzalez (ATP 7):
- 3 victories and 3 defeats
- Last confrontation: victory of Rafael Nadal in 2 sets with the Masters of Hamburg 2007.
- Against Novak Đoković (ATP 3):
- 6 victories and 2 defeats
- Last confrontation: victory of Rafael Nadal in 2 sets with the Masters Cup of Shanghai 2007.
- the nickname of Rafael Nadal is “Rafa”.
- Rafael is the nephew of the former professional footballer Miguel Ángel Nadal, which in particular evolved/moved with FC Barcelona and RCD Majorque; it is to support Real Madrid.
- Its trainer official is another uncle: Toni Nadal
- Rafael Nadal also plays football, it could have become pro but his/her father asked him to make a choice between tennis and football to prevent that its school work does not suffer from it. To note that “Rafa” stopped the school at 16 years after its 4° of ESO (equivalent of the 2°Française).
- After the majority of its points, especially when they are beautiful or important, it shouts Vamos which means “Go” in Spanish.
- Its model in the Tennis is another Spanish, Carlos Moya, victorious Tennisman of Roland Garros in 1998. It is also one of his/her best friends in the circuit.
- It with the practice to bite the trophies when he receives them.
- At the time of the finale to the Open of Barcelona in 2005 against Juan-Carlos Ferrero, a Catalan supportrice protested for the independence of the Catalogne while sticking to the net with a pair of shackles, the men in charge of safety spent 30 minutes to release it.
- At the time of the semi-final of the Open 13 of Marseilles disputed into 2006 vis-a-vis Arnaud Clément, a wasp slipped into its tee-shirt, thus preventing it from being useful.
- At the time of the quarterfinals of the Internationaux of France of Roland-Garros disputed in 2006 vis-a-vis Lleyton Hewitt a ballboy received a ball in the nose, it making bleed, Nadal immediately announced it.
- the left bicep of Nadal is inordinately larger than its right.
|Random links:||Antares | Ogdoade d' Hermopolis | Anne Jules de Noailles | Campo San Martino | Totality and infinite | Tour de France 1957 | Ensemble_de_bureau|