- Thom Yorke (song, guitar, piano, Fender Rhodos, rhythmic support, programming)
- Jonny Greenwood (guitar, keyboards, piano, Sampler S, Waves Martenot, Moog, Similar RS8000/8500 systems integrator, Fatar-CMS 161, Hammon XB2, Roland PC100, Moog Rogue, xylophone, Fender Rhodos, Korg Prophecy, Korg Triton, programming)
- Hake Greenwood (low, double bass, Korg Prophecy)
- ED O' Brien (guitar, rhythmic support, choruses)
- Phil Selway (battery)
BiographyThe group makes its beginnings with the Jericho' S Tavern with Oxford, England in 1987 under the name of One has Friday (the group repeating Friday at its beginnings). In 1991, they record their first demonstration which will be noticed by Courtyard Studios . Their second demonstration Manic Hedgehog will enable them to be made known on the scene of Oxford.
Several labels notice them but ultimately it is EMI which will sign them. A little later they decide to change name into taking as a starting point a title of the Talking Heads : Radio operator Head , resulting from the album True Stories . It is at this time that the group is joined by Jonny.
The group becomes international with individual the Creep which was played initially on the American university campuses then on platinums of the radios of the whole world. They leave their first album, Pablo Honey in 1993. In 1994, EP My Iron Lung (song antithesis of Creep ) watch a group of transition leaving the simplistic melodies and engaging towards major ways and more heavy . The following album The Bends , produced by John Leckie, leaves in 1995 and assoit their maturity as regards Rock. It is during the recording of this album that the group meets Nigel Godrich which will produce the three following albums and will be regarded as the sixth member. Since 1995, the group then will start a world tour in first part of the large artists of the moment: Alanis Morissette and R.E.M.
In 1997, Radiohead leaves the album OK Computer quickly acclaimed by the critics and the public, at the head of all the lists of “better albums”. It conceals many pearls, as Exit Music (For has Film) which will be the credits of end of the film Romeo + Juliette left to France in 1997 (with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes). This album has an unexpected atmosphere for the time and anything in common with the productions pop moment does not have. An experimental, pop album and ambient, taking as a starting point the music electro while preserving a base rock'n'roll nervous, sometimes violent, often sinks. The round of the album occurs like a diving in a pit, the group (behind the singer Thom Yorke) not supporting the celebrity and all the hubbub around them. A film Meeting People Is Easy , realized by Grant Gee, brings back these choking moments. The group is locked up then in a two years silence.
In 2000, Radiohead turns over then in studio to record Kid has then in the tread Amnesiac . The music of the group is then more experimental with the arrival of electronics and the free jazz. The voice of the singer is triturated through the machines and the guitars are erased in Kid has with the profit of the Sample S. the two albums leave with only a few months variation, October 2000 for Kid has and June 2001 for Amnesiac . A song, Beautiful Morning , appears on the two albums with two different interpretations, corresponding to the atmospheres of the two albums. The group described Kid has like a vision of a fire to far, while Amnesiac is a vision with the center even of this fire.
In 2003, the group leaves its sixth album, Hail To The Thief . More pop, less electronic without however disavowing the recourse to the samples and boxes at rate/rhythm, this album is voluntarily less worked in order to feel a certain spontaneousness there. Hail to the Thief thus appears easier of approach, even if there remains very mysterious.
During these last rounds, Radiohead went to France in gigantic rooms (as with Paris-Bercy for the exit of Hail to the Thief ) and occurred at the time of atypical concerts, as in the arenas of Arles or under a capital, installed in Saint-Denis, at the time of the exit of Kid has . It also occurred in the Arènes of Nimes. Their last appearance in France dated August 26th, 2006 at the time of the festival Rock'n'roll in the Seine.
Throughout its career, the British group put on the market of many maxis including/understanding new, taken again songs and remixes. Pieces such as Pop is dead , How I made my million, Trickster or Permanent daylight do not appear on any of the six official albums of Radiohead.
The influence of Radiohead on the British pop scene is undeniable, one can quote groups like Travis, Coldplay or even Placebo. However, Radiohead is a group in perpetual search for new sounds and explores multiple ways. Indeed, Radiohead always wanted to pass the borders of the rock'n'roll: the electro one, jazz, traces of traditional, mixtures of the types, while passing by very experimental music. The group exploits the structure of the pieces, their agreements many, on the melody, and the effects. The work of the guitarist Jonny Greenwood on the tape of the film Bodysong shows an interest always present towards the classical musics, electronic and jazz. Jonny Greenwood composed in 2004 Smear , a piece of music contemporary. Then it was indicated official type-setter of BBC 3 (which diffuses classical music) for the years 2004-2006, a work in collaboration with famous BBC concert orchestrated .
The group, however without contract with any recording company, announced the exit of its new album In Rainbows on October 1st 2007, by the means of a message posted on its blog, named Dead Air Space. This album, produced by Nigel Godrich, left only 10 days later, and, initially, only by remote loading. In Rainbows is the fruit of a work begun two years earlier, during the summer 2005. It should be noted that this remote loading does not give place to the payment of a precise sum by the Net surfer, but is left with the free choice of the purchaser - commercial step which can be seen like a prolongation of certain ideological engagements of a group, and to put in parallel with some others their decisions passed like the distance of EMI or the organization of an autonomous round with concerts under capital. Always via the site dedicated to the exit of this album, In Rainbows, it is also possible to order for on December 3rd 2007 a version CD of this album, increased by a second disc comprising eight new titles, by two discs vinyls and a very complete booklet. In Rainbows should leave thereafter in the record dealers, probably with the beginning of the year 2008.
Moreover, as from spring the 2008 English group should return on scene for the pleasure of all. Indeed, a world tour is envisaged until December with probably the presence of the group in several estival festivals.
With regard to the passage in France of the round 2008, a participation of the English group in the festival rock'n'roll of Angouleme, Garden Nave Party - which has been held for three years during the last fortnight of July and which already received Placebo, MUSE and Arcade Fire - should be announced soon. For the month of June 2008, 2 dates in Paris and 1 in Nimes will be on sale soon…
- Seed-planting drill (1992)
- Itch (1993 - Japan)
- My Iron Lung (1994 - Australia)
- No Surprised/Running From Demons (1997 - Japan)
- Airbag/How Am I Driving? (1998 - the USA)
- COM LAG (2plus2isfive) (2004 - Japan)
Work in solo
- Bodysong of Jonny Greenwood (2003), original soundtrack of the film Bodysong
- The Eraser of Thom Yorke (2006)
Radiohead on other works
The singer of the group Thom Yorke took part in several other albums.
- UNKLE Psyence Fiction (1998)
- The Come In Furs B.O from Velvet Goldmine (1998) with Jonny Greenwood
- Drugstore White magic for lovers (1998) where he sings in duet on the title “El President”
- PJ Harvey Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea (2000)
- Björk Selmasongs (2000)
- Modeselektor Happy birthday! (2007)
Jonny Greenwood took part in the following album:
- Pavement Terror Twilight (1999)
Jonny Greenwood and Phil Selway played in:
- the fictitious group The Weird Sisters for the film Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire (2005).
Songs of Radiohead were used in other works.
- Pas less than five songs of Radiohead illustrates the film has Scanner Darkly Richard Linklater (2006). It is about Fog , Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors , Skttrbrain (Furnace Small fireclay cup Mix) , The Amazing Sounds off Orgy , and Arpeggi (even if Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors and Arpeggi is not credited). One can hear also there the title Black Swan drawn from the album solo of Thom Yorke.
- Paranoid Android seems credits of Japanese oddment animated of science fiction Ergo Proxy .
- the song Analyzes, on the album The Eraser of Thom Yorke, also appears it in credits: that of Prestige (2006) of Christopher Nolan.
- the song No Surprised is used in topic of end of the film the Potluck .
- the song Creep is heard in the film Cyclo of Tran Anh Hung.
- the song Everything In Its Right Places rate/rhythm one of the scenes of opening of the film Vanilla Sky of Cameron Crowe, and appears in the official BO. This same piece is also used at the time of an episode of the series Nip/Tuck.
- In the film Romeo + Juliette one hears the song " Talk Host" Show; , that one can find in an importation named " Looking Back At" , and the song " Exit Music (for has film) " is the topic of the credits of end.
- In an episode of Télésérie Six Feet Under Ground , one can hear the song Lucky resulting from the album OK Computer .
In September 1998, the pianist jazz Brad Mehldau Exit includes his own version of the piece of Radiohead “Music (For has Film)” on his album The Art Off The Trio, vol. 3 . In August 2002, it leaves the album Largo on which figure “Paranoid Android”. These two pieces come from the album Ok Computer . The album Anything Goes , left in February 2004 contains a worked over again version of the piece “Everything in its Right Place” of the album of Radiohead “Kid has”. These three albums left to Warner.
Ok Computer became popular with other artists. In 2001, the independent label Vitamin Records left a homage to Radiohead in symphony orchestra, Strung Out One OK Computer , by The String Quartet. It is a counterpart piece per piece of the album OK Computer , with violins and violoncellos.
Always in 2001, an album homage to Radiohead leaves, entitled Anyone Can Play Radiohead in echo with one of their song Anyone Can Play Guitar , appeared on their first album Pablo Honey. This CD comprises titles of Radiohead reinterpreted by various artists with the varied musical styles.
Plastic Changes (2001) is an album of recoveries in electronic versions.
In 2003 the pianist Christopher O' Riley records True Love Waits , a collection of pieces of Radiohead coming from various albums re-examined for solos from piano, published by Sony Music. He repeats in 2005 with a second album, Hold me to this , published by World Village/Harmonia Mundi.
In 2006 the DJ New Yorkais Mark Ronson records a version funk of “Just”.
In 2007, the group KoRn begins again, at the time of its concert MTV Unplugged, the music Creep, approaching the acoustic version then. This same year, the blog Stereogum proposes a new album in free downloading entitled OK X in homage to the ten years OK Computer by the scene Indie of the moment (of which Doveman, Cold War Kids, Marissa Nadler and My Brightest Diamond).
AnecdoteThe group Radiohead appears in the episode of South Park Scott Tenorman must die where the members of the group doubled themselves their characters.
Radiohead is quoted in Everworld by the characters.
- Stanley Donwood, Graphic designer of the group
- Unbelievable Truth, dissolved rock group from now on carried out by Andy Yorke, brother of Thom Yorke.
the official site of Radiohead
- the French site on Radiohead
- Vimasic - musical Library (Radiohead)
- Radiohead in Rock in the Seine (Paris) in 2006 Chronic
- of the album In Rainbows, title by title, on the site Gonzaï
- an article on the blow of marketing of Radiohead for the exit of In Rainbows
Notes & references
|Random links:||Thonne-the-length | District of Liestal | 28e regiment of transmissions | Nigelle of Damas | Milanovac | Les_lettres_de_Screwtape|