Quiberon constitutes the Southern extremity of the peninsula of the same name, which also includes/understands part of the territory of the commune of Saint-Pierre-Quiberon.
Its name in Breton is Kiberen .
Geography, Niniches …) and of the stores of food or large distributions.
, around 5000 years before J. - C. For the period of the Neolithic Armorican, between 4500 and 2000 years before J. - C., the men drew up Mégalithe S: Menhir S, Dolmen S and shady walks is built on Quiberon and its neighborhoods. These dolmens are still visible besides nowadays.
“By their considerable navy, their nautical superiority good recognized and their commercial relations with the island of Brittany, Vénètes had become very powerful people, whose authority extended to far on all the littoral from Gaulle and insular Brittany. They had a small number of ports located on this sea open and stormy with long distances from/to each other and made tributary almost all the navigators obliged to pass in their water. ” (Jules César, the War of Gaules , III, 8)
Towards the year 435, the Angles and the Saxon ones conquer the Great Britain. The Breton S are dedicated to the exile. They emigrate in Armorique which will become little of time after Brittany. It is at that time that christianization begins from the territory.
The the Middle Ages
Quiberon is an island until the 11th century. With time and because of a massive deforestation, sand moves gradually towards bay, creating a Tombolo, between the island of Quiberon and the continent. It is at that time that the island transformed itself into peninsula.
In 1746, the peninsula sees the unloading of the English squadron of the admiral Lestock, made up of forty vessels. The general captain, of Penhoët, governor of the peninsula refuses to go. The engagements intensify, the Armorican army is beaten and the inhabitants see themselves in the obligation to flee. With the vision of the damage generated by these engagements, the duke of Penthièvre arranges the Peninsula of fear. The construction of the fort of Penthièvre begins in 1747.
In June 1795, Carnac sees unloading some 5.400 royalist emigrants from England. 12.000 Chouans of Morbihan, are combined with them. But the royalists cannot intend themselves on the strategies to adopt (in particular because of the double command of the count de Puisaye and the count d' Hervilly). The Republican army, carried out by the general Shakes, benefits from the discord and pushes back the royalists on the peninsula. The latter are cut off in Strong Penthièvre, but are attacked by the republicans on July 20th. The following day, the royalists capitulate; on the 6.263 decrees, 748 are shot.
At the end of the 19th century, the chemist Nicolas Appert makes a great discovery concerning the sterilization of food. So the district of the canning facilities of Maria Port develops. The city becomes the first port sardine boat of France by creating “sardine factories”. Many bigoudenes families settle there. The women work in the canning facilities while the men, leave to fish.
In 1882, the railway line Auray-Quiberon is inaugurated. It makes it possible to transport ammunition towards the batteries of the coast, then some tourists who start to perceive the benefits of the sea. It will be called the " car-bouchon" , because it partly unchokes the single road which leads to Quiberon of its traffic.
In 1899, it is by Quiberon (Haligen Port) that the captain Dreyfus returns from the Devil's Island, of night and in the greatest secrecy, to attend its lawsuit.
In 1964, the Center of Thalassothérapie is inaugurated.
The town hall is located street of Verdun, in the center even of the city. The city is managed by a Municipal council (28 city council men) and by the mayor, Mr Jean-Michel Belz.
Over the period 2001 - 2005, the municipality succeeded in obtaining a fall of the expenditure of 0,3%. For the year 2006, the city posts a self-financing of 2.673.936€. 8.658.639€ was mobilized for various investments for, in particular to improve the environment (140.036€ is devoted to the green areas, with the plays…), to renovate and develop the inheritance (4.507.074€ for early childhood, the barracks of the firemen…) or to study the marking out of rain water and acquisitions for land reserve.
Concerning the operation of the municipality, the expenditure is established with 10.940.306€ (1.769.300€ for the loads in general matter, 3.750.000€ for the staff costs, 1.711.720€ for the other loads of current management, and 2.673.936€ are devoted for the self-financing).
The commune does not have a blazon itself. Only the whole peninsula has one of them.
Today, it gathers 150 boats (of Quiberon, of Hoëdic, Houat, Belle-Île-en-Mer, and the Golfe of Morbihan) which unload their fish, shells and shellfish to sell them with the biddings. For a few months, shouted has also been done by Internet, for the remote sale. In 2005, 1.078 tons of fish and shellfish confused were sold with a value of 6.416 € per kg.
Quiberon gathers several factories: " Quiberonnaise " with Maria port, Beautiful-Îloise the , Niniches ,….located in the industrial park, in the North of the city. They employ many inhabitants there.
Places and monuments
- Church Notre-Dame de Locmaria, 19th century
- Vault Saint-Clement
- Fishing port: Maria port, departure of the boats bound for Belle-Ile-en-mer, Houat and Hoëdic (Morbihannaise de Navigation)
- prehistoric Site classified
- Museum of the sea
- House of the inheritance
- the Headlight of Port-Maria and that of Port-Haliguen.
- Great place of surfing with its Great Beach.
- Center of very famous Thalassotherapy
- Wild Coast
- the factories Beautiful Îloise
Public elementary schools
- maternal School Jules-Ferry
- Elementary school Jules-Ferry
Private elementary schools
- Nursery school Holy-Anne
- Elementary school Saint-Clement
- College Beg Cheap er (public)
- College Holy-Anne (private)
CultureThe municipality places at the disposal of its inhabitants a Médiathèque, located street Michelet, the house of the inheritance (recalling the history of the peninsula of prehistory at our days), a Cinéma and the palate of the Congresses (proposer various spaces for the spectacles and conferences).
TransportFrom June to September, the peninsula of Quiberon places at the disposal of the tourists, a FOR THE THIRD TIME, called " Car-Bouchon" , which makes the connection between Auray and Quiberon, and serves the villages of the peninsula (White Sands, Penthièvre, Saint-Pierre-Quiberon…)
A bus " Presqu'île" circulate during the two months of holidays, and places at the disposal two lines:
- Line 1: Kerhostin - Portivy - St Pierre Quiberon - Quiberon SNCF railway station - Quiberon places Hoche - Quiberon Port Maria
- Ligne 2: Kerné - Maria Port - Place Shakes - Thalasso - Conguel - Haliguen Port - SNCF railway station - Kerné.
Quiberon and the Wild Côte is enough famous to attract many tourists. The population multiplies by ten during the two months of summer holidays. The common one places at the disposal of the latter two Camping S: Kerné and Goviro, a surface of reception of Motor home S, and a score of hotels, without counting the seasonal hirings managed by the estate agencies of the area.
HealthThe city gathers seven Médecin S general practitioners, two doctors specialized, five surgeons Dentiste S, a speech therapist, and ten medical auxiliaries. Quiberon has a medical analysis laboratory, and a center of medical imagery. Three Pharmacie S are at the disposal of the inhabitants. The Hôpital nearest is located at Auray.
- catholic worship : the church of Notre-Dame de Locmaria, the Vault Saint-Julien, the vault Holy-Anne, and the vault Saint-Clement.
The Cimetière is located at the angle of the avenue of the de Gaulle General and the road of Kerné.
- Common of Morbihan
- Peninsula of Quiberon
- Unloading of the emigrants to Quiberon
- Gulf of Morbihan
|Random links:||Alain Jaubert | Washington Dead Cats | Creative Evolution | Church of Karuna | Ferrex | Dan_Michaels|