The word prophet with female the prophetess (Greek: προφήτης, interprets words of a god or an oracle; soothsayer ), nominates a person considered as the envoy, the messenger of a divinity, come to prevent, warn or to reveal the “truth” with a human group or all the human ones. A false-prophet is simply a prophet who is not recognized by the religion of the speaker.
The prophet can be distinguished from the Devin. The soothsayer claims to predict the future at the request of the person or the people concerned. The prophet says himself to the service and driven by the divinity, and often will oppose the opinion of his fellow-citizens. Prophecies are often more of the warning statements that predictions. The two words, prophet and soothsayer, are sometimes regarded as synonyms.
the expression (Them) Prophets indicates the prophetic books of the Old Testament. It is the translation of Hebrew Néviim (נביא, prophet, soothsayer , pl. נביאים). The list and the order of these books differ according to the religion, Jewish, Christian catholic, orthodoxe or Protestant.
- the Prophet designates the prophet treating Mahomet in the works of the Islam.
- the Prophet is the title of a work having returned celebrates the Lebanese writer Khalil Gibran (Djubran Khalil Djubran 1883-1931).
- the prophets (نبيّ, prophet , pl. أنْبياء) is the title of the Sourate XXI of the Coran.
Siddhārtha Gautama known as '' the Buddha is the key figure of the Bouddhisme (624 - 544 before J.C.).
- Zoroastre (Zarathoustra) is the Persan prophet founder of the Mazdéisme (628 - 551 before J. - C.).
- Mahâvîra (Vardhamana) is the Indian prophet founder of the Jaïnisme (599 - 527 before J. - C.).
- Mani (Manes) is the Persan prophet founder of the Manichéisme (216 - 277).
- Riding Jean Prophet and war leader of the Camisards (1681 - 1740).
- Joseph Smith (1805 - lynched in 1844), “the American prophet”, first president of the Église of Jesus-Christ of the Saints of the Last Days whose members are usually called Mormon S. Its successors also have the title of prophet: Brigham Young, (1847-1877), John Taylor (1880-1887), Wilford Woodruff (1887-1898), Lorenzo Snow (1898-1901), Joseph F. Smith (1901-1918), Heber J. Grant (1918-1945), George Albert Smith (1945-1951), David O. McKay (1951-1970), Joseph Fielding Smith (1970-1972), Harold B. Lee (1972-1973), Spencer W. Kimball (1973-1985), Ezra Taft Benson (1985-1994), Howard W. Hunter (1994-1995), Gordon B. Hinckley (1995 -)
- the Báb (Sayyid Ali Muhammad) is the Persan prophet founder of the Babisme (1819 - 1850).
- Bahá' u' lláh (Mirza Husayn Ali Nuri) is the Persan prophet founder of the Bahaïsme (1817 - 1892).
- Marcus Garvey is the prophet jamaïcain founder of the Mouvement rastafari.
Prophets according to the Old Testament
See the article on the prophetic books of the Bible.
Prophets according to New Testament
In addition to the prophets of the Old Testament, the New Testament, quotes mainly Saint Jean Baptiste (Évangiles). But it is also made mention of Anne (or Hannah) in Luc 2:36 - 38.
There were also a prophetess, Anne, girl of Phanuel, tribe of Aser. It was extremely advanced in age, and it had lived seven years with her husband since his virginity. Remained widowed, and four twenty-four years old, it did not leave the temple, and it served God harms and day in the fast and the prayer. Having occurred, it also, at this same hour, it rented God, and it spoke about Jesus to all those which awaited the delivery of Jerusalem.
In New Testament Jesus is the Christ, Messie but also prophet. New Testament also speaks about prophets like belonging to the people having received certain gifts on behalf of the Holy Spirit after their conversion with Christ. Example in the Epistle of Paul to Éphésiens, 4:11 : It is him which made gift of some as apostles, others like prophets, others like evangelists, and others still as pastors and teachers.
Prophets according to Islam
See also: Prophets of Islam
Only 25 prophets are named in the Coran (the Joachim box contains two categories Imran, father of Brace and Aaron and Joachim, the father of the Virgin Mary), a hadith mentions that each people of the history received at least a prophet and that there were 124.000 in all of it. According to Coran, first is Adam. Most important apart from Mahomet itself are Noah, Abraham, Moïse, Solomon and Jesus. Coran quotes several series of messengers ( rasûl ) and prophets ( nabî ), some are known Bible like patriarch S and not like prophets. In the sourates XXI ( the prophets ), IV ( the women ), and a III ( `Imran ) certain number are quoted in a list the “right ones” (الصَّالِحِين). Coming from New Testament are named like prophets: There are also the purely Arab prophets, sometimes unknown of the Bible. Each one was the prophet of an Arab tribe.
According to Islam, each one of these prophets would have been rejected or betrayed by its community and this one, destroyed by God.
Comes then Mahomet, seal of prophecy according to its clean dires, and member elect of the divine revelation in the form of the Coran. For the Islam it would be thus the last prophet sent by God near the men.
Whoever is well directed, is directed only for itself.
- Whoever is stray is stray only with its own detriment.
- No one will not carry the burden of another.
- We never punished people, before to have sent a prophet to him.
- Coran (XVII; 15)
- Whoever is stray is stray only with its own detriment.
Prophets according to the Mormonisme
The Saints of the last days recognize all the prophets of the Old Testament as well as the authority of the apostles of Jesus-Christ. According to their doctrines, the Church of Jesus-Christ was transformed after the death of the apostles until losing his original character. Came then, at the beginning of the XIXe century, the ministry of Joseph Smith (1805-1844), member elect of the divine revelation and with which God would have revealed the site of Holy Scriptures: the Book of Mormon. Mormon is the name of the prophet having prepared these annals approximately 400 a. J. - C. For the saints of the last days, Joseph Smith would be a prophet caused by God among the men. In the same way, all the presidents which are succédé with the head of the Church of Jesus-Christ of the Saints of the Last Days are called prophets. The current president of the Church is regarded as the prophet of God on the ground. The members of the First Presidency and the twelve apostles are constant like prophets, indicators and revealing.
A prophet is a person who was called by God and speaks for him. As a messenger of God, the prophet receives from God of the commands, prophecies and the revelations. He has as a responsibility to make known the truth and the true personality of God to humanity and to show the significance of his relations with it. The prophet denounces the sin and predicts the consequences of them. It is a preacher of justice. On the occasion, it can be inspired to predict the future for the profit of humanity. But its responsibility first is to testify to Christ.
- Soothsayer, man conjecturing the future.
- the Prophets
- the Bible
- the Coran
- Prophets of Islam
|Random links:||Bored | Salamander at blue points | Saint-Prim | Alfonso López Pumarejo|