Prome , today Pyay (Burmese ပ္ရည္), is a city and a district of Burma located at the extrème-West of the division of Pégou, 161 km in the North of Rangoon. Its population was of 83.000 inhabitants in 1983.
With a few kilometers of the old city of Prome is the village of Hmawza, site of the old capital of the kingdom Pyu of Sri Ksetra (VIIère-XIère century). The new city was rested by the British at the end of XIXère century, to be used as intermediate river port between the High and the Low-Burma.
GeographyThe North and the North-East of the district broken and are covered with forests. They form the basin of Naweng, which is thrown in the Irrawaddy. In the South and South-west, alluvial plains extend on both sides from the way of railroad.
The principal rivers are Irrawaddy, which crosses the district of North to the South, and its affluents Thani and Naweng.
The climate is drier than that of the other districts of Low-Burma, with annual office pluralities of rain of 1,20 Mr. the temperatures spread out 15° C in January with 38° C in June.
HistoryThayekhettaya (today Hmawza) was founded by the Pyu S in the neighborhoods of 638. Capital of the kingdom of Sri Ksetra, it was destroyed by the Mons at the end of VIIIère century, then conquered by the king de Pagan Anawrahta in 1057.
The new built city in the vicinity, Pyi (in Burmese: " capitale"), according to the times in the area of influence of the Burmese was, the Shan S or Mons.
After the destruction of the kingdom of Pégou (1369-1539), the Burmese king Tabinshwehti seized Pyi in 1542; the Dynastie Taungû preserved the city until the revolt mône of 1740. The short period of independence of Mons ended to the fall of Pégou in front of the king Alaungpaya in 1757, and their last start, centered on Pyi, was crushed the following year with the catch of the city.
The Dynastie Konbaung preserved Pyi until the Guerres anglo-Burmeses. The British, who called it Prome, seized in 1825 it and 1852, this time definitively: it entered the possessions of the crown in 1853. In 1862, it almost entirely shaven by a fire, and was rebuilt in its modern form, with large rectilinear avenues. In 1874, it obtained the statute of Municipality.
AgricultureThe basic production is the Riz, in front of cotton, the tobacco and cane sugar. The local annones are famous. One also practices the Sériciculture, the forestry development (Teck), weaving.
EducationPyay has 2 universities: The " Pyay University" (PU), close to the downtown area, and the " Pyay Technical University" (PTU) with a few kilometers, just like the " Government College" Computer; (GCC). The other city of the district are Shwedaung and Paungde, which does not have establishment of higher education.
MonumentsIn addition to the relics of Hmawza to a few kilometers, the city has several pagodas and old Stûpa S, in particular, on a hill in South-east, the Pagode Shwesandaw, important Buddhist place of pilgrimage .
- Pyay Travel Guides
|Random links:||Jean Bardou | Charles-Michel of the Sword | Oggiono | Babək (raion) | Jacques Cubizol | Zoo_de_Dhaka|