Police headquarter of Paris
Located in the middle of the Capital, in the island of the City, the police headquarter , under the authority of the ministry for the interior, is the institution charged to ensure the safety of the people and the goods Paris. The Préfet of police force which directs it lays out, with this intention, of services of police force in load of the urban security, the law and order and circulation. It also has authority on dedicated services, such regional management of the General informations and the regional management of the Judicial police. The prefect of police also lays out of important engineering services and logistics as well as General inspection of the services.
If it does not replace the prefects of the departments of the small crown which have any operational and hierarchical authority on the police services of their department (Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-Saint-Denis and the Valley-of-Marne), the prefect of police manages of them the budgetary means and of personnel.
The prefect of police is also prefect of the Zone of defense of Paris, which recovers the whole of the territory of the area Île-de-France. For this reason and on this perimeter, it is in load of the organization of civil defense, the prevention and the management of the crises of great width (weather phenomena, catastrophes medical, industrial, etc)
Lastly, like any other prefect of department, he exerts important administrative competences as regards delivery of titles of identity, administrative authorizations (allowed) and police force from abroad.
Beyond the whole of competences of State which have just been evoked, and with the title of the general competence of safety which is allotted to him, the prefect of police has capacities which, in all the other communes of the country, concern the Maire: he thus has authority on the Brigade of firemen of Paris (military formation), and exerts powers of municipal police as regards public highway, bâtimentaires risks, of food safety, medical or environmental.
This characteristic explains why the police headquarter draws part of its budgetary means from the Ville of Paris on of which the assembly deliberating, (the Conseil of Paris), vote each year a budget with share, known as “special budget of the police headquarter”. Same manner, on: 35000 civils servant whom it manages, if the majority belong to the national police force, 6.000 of them are remunerated on this “special budget” and raise of the territorial public function.
HistoryThe Parisian police force is under the authority of the State since Colbert and Gabriel Nicolas of Reynie.
A few days after its coup d'etat, the First Consul thus attaches to the central capacity attributions of general police force which depended on the Commune of Paris under the French revolution. The prefect of police takes again attributions of the general Lieutenant of police force, instituted by Louis XIV in 1667 to exert powers of maintenance of law and order before reserved for the Prévôt of Paris.
Throughout the 19th century, Paris has a structured and original police force:
- Body of the policemen which make sure of peace of Parisian,
- General informations charged with the political police of the various monarchs, imperial or royal,
- Laboratoire of future the Scientific police,
During the second world war, the police headquarter took part in collaboration with the German authorities instituted by the mode of Vichy: thus it dealt with the methodical census of the Jews (Fichier Tulard) and the organization of the raids, of which the raid of Vel' of hiv of the July 16th and 17th 1942. The resistance movements were very minority within this “obeying” institution: they organize the insurrection in August 1944 however and are illustrated in the Libération of Paris, under the direction of Charles Luizet, appointed prefect of police by De Gaulle (Edgard Pisani will become its principal private secretary). For this contribution to the victory against the Occupant, the police headquarter, as an institution, was decorated with the legion of honor. This is why its agents in behavior carry the fodder one to the left shoulder the days of ceremony.
Current organizationThe police headquarter includes/understands the following categories of services:
- the cabinet of the prefect of police
- the general secretary for the administration gathering four Directorates and Departments of support
- the general secretary of the zone of defense
- six directions of police force
- two administrative offices
- of the dedicated services
the cabinetPlacé under the authority of a prefect, director of the cabinet, the cabinet of the prefect of police includes/understands:
the subdirectorate of the administrative services
- service of the communication
- the service information and safety
the general secretary for the administrationDirected by a prefect, the general secretary for the administration gathers four Directorates and Departments with the transverse functions:
direction of human resources : recruitment, management of the careers, remunerations and pensions, professional training, social action, medicines statutory and preventive
- direction of finances, the public order and the performance : budgetary businesses, purchases and markets, control of management
- service of the real businesses : real strategy, acquisition, construction and maintenance
- service of the legal affairs and the dispute : take care and council legal, management of the dispute, legal protection of the civils servant
the prefect, general secretary for the administration, also has functional authority on the services of the operational direction of the engineering services and logistics (cf will infra), for their functions of support.
the general secretary of the zone of defense(in the course of drafting)
Directions of police forceOne counts six great directions of police force, known as " directions actives" :
- the Direction of the law and order and circulation (DOPC): it is in charge of (festive or claiming demonstrations on the public highway), the protection maintenance of law and order of the seat of the institutions of the Republic and the diplomatic representations, the check on adherence to the provisions of the fight and prevention and highway code, in particular, against the delinquency and road violences.
- the Direction of the urban police force of proximity (DPUP): in collaboration with the other Directorates and Departments of the Police headquarter, it is in charge in Paris of the prevention of criminality, the delinquency and other attacks with safety and peace public, search and arrest of their authors and their setting àdisposition of justice, reception and treatment of the calls as well as the possible reorientation of the requests for help, the permanent reception of the public, in particular of the victims, the assistance and the assistance to the people and all missions of relation between the police force, the population and the partners of the security policy. Moreover, the services of the Officer of the Public ministry close the police court are directly attached to him.
- the Direction of the general informations (DRg): this direction, known of the general public under its initial, " R.G." , is charged, in Paris, of research, the analysis and the data processing relating to the prevention of the disorders to the law and order and the attacks to the work of the institutions. It also ensures the research and the centralization of the information intended to inform the prefect of the zone of defense of Paris, it takes part in the defense of the fundamental interests of the State and contributes, at the level of the area Ile de France, the mission of internal security. It also takes part in the repression of clandestine immigration, the infringements to the employment from abroad, with the fight against terrorism, the extremists mediums with violent potentialities, the Sectes, urban violences, the underground economy and the Hooliganisme.
- the Regional management of the judicial police (DRPJ): mainly installed in buildings contiguous to the 36 quai des Orfèvres, Law courts, " P.J." is charged, in Paris, fight against criminality and the delinquency. In its dimension of regional management of judicial police, it leads in the departments of the Hauts-de-Seine, of the Seine-Saint-Denis and the Valley-of-Marne, the fight against criminality and the delinquency organized or specialized. Lastly, on the whole of the geographical spring which precedes, it is in charge with the implementation and the control of the means with technical and scientific police force and legal identity, tools data processing and operational documentations of assistance to the investigations (Note: the investigations led by the police services within a legal framework are carried out under the exclusive direction magistrates) .
- the operational Direction of the engineering services and logistic (DOSTL): with the profit of the police services of Paris and small crown, this direction is in charge of the placement of special machines or techniques meeting specific operational needs. It conceives and implements communication and information systems. It ensures acquisition, the deployment and the maintenance of data-processing equipment, rolling stocks, clothing, the armament, the equipment of reproduction and the specific technical material. It lays out of service operational specialized the such river brigade of Paris, the " base air" of Paris, driving schools protected and piloting motorcylcist.
- the General inspection of the services (IGS): more known under the name of " organizes polices" , the inspection is in charge of the disciplinary investigations, but it also fills of audit engagements and internal council at the institution.
- the direction of transport and the protection of the public (DTPP) ensures the following main missions:
prevention and health protection, police force of the classified installations and fights against the harmful effects;
- application of the regulation against the panic and fire hazards in the establishments receiving of public (ERP) and the buildings great height (IGH) like as regards danger in the buildings;
- safety and healthiness of the hotels and the hearths;
- police force of circulation and the parking, administrative control of the acts of the mayor of Paris in these fields, preparation of the opinions of the prefect of police on the projects of installation of roadway system, follow-up of the questions of security road;
- regulation of the use of river and air public space.
direction of the general police force (DPG) to the responsibility for the implementation of the relative texts to public freedoms and the administration from abroad, as well as delivery of official titles falling within the competence of the prefect of police. It is thus responsible for the following main missions:
acquisition, possession or loss of French nationality
- delivery of the documents of identity and voyage
- delivery of the licenses to drive out
- registration of the motor vehicles
- technical approval of the control centers
- delivery of the authorization of acquisition, detention and wearing of weapons
- authorizations of transport of funds and exercise of private activities of safety
- examination of the applications of authorization of devices of vidéosurveillance
- delivery, suspension, cancellation and withdrawal of driving license
- application of the regulation on the teaching of control
- application of the regulation relating to the stay from abroad
- measurements of distance of the foreign nationals in irregular situation
the activity of the " DPG" , primarily turned towards the public, is exerted with the seat of the police headquarter but also in antennas located in each town hall of district like in specialized centres for the reception of the foreign nationals.
the central laboratory is in particular in load of the service of the mine clearance, the expertise as regards fire and the monitoring of atmospheric pollution in Paris.
Note: Other specialized laboratories, historically integrated into the Police headquarter, from now on left it to join the National institute of scientific police , public corporation placed under the supervision of the ministry for the interior. They are thus quoted for memory: the laboratory toxicology (toxicological analyzes, in particular as regards narcotics) and the laboratory of scientific police of Paris (ballistic, anthropometry, digital fingerprints and palmar, automated national file of the genetic prints, etc).
two dedicated services attached to the direction of transport and the protection of the public' :
the mortuary , located quay of Grated: Y are deposited all the people died on the public highway or under suspect conditions, for purposes of investigations and autopsy.
- the psychiatric infirmary , street Cabanis, whose competences are exerted within the framework of the procedures implemented with regard to the people considered as dangerous for itself or others.
Prefects of policeThe prefect of police, prefect of the zone of defense of Paris , of its formal title, is named in the Council of Ministers. Three of his/her principal collaborators are also prefects: the director of his cabinet, the general secretary for the administration and the general secretary of the zone of defense.
The prefect, general secretary for the administration, manages the whole of resources human, financial, real and material of the police headquarter.
The prefect, general secretary of the zone of defense, envisages the organization of nonmilitary measurements of defense allowing to ensure the safety in the event of need.
Chronological list of the prefects of police
- March 8th 1800 - October 14th 1810: Louis Nicolas Dubois (1758 - 1847), first prefect of police
- October 14th 1810 - May 13rd 1814: Etienne-Denis Pasquier (1767 - 1862)
- May 13rd 1814 - December 27th 1814: Jacques Claude Beugnot (1761 - 1835)
- December 27th 1814 - March 14th 1815: Antoine Balthazar Joachim d' André (1759 - 1825)
- March 14th 1815 - March 20th 1815: Louis Antoine Fauvelet de Bourrienne (1769 - 1834)
- March 20th 1815 - July 3rd 1815: Pierre-François Réal (1757 - 1834)
- July 3rd 1815 - July 9th 1815: Eustace Marie Pierre Marc Antoine Courtin
- July 9th 1815 - September 29th 1815: Élie Decazes (1780 - 1860)
- September 29th 1815 - December 20th 1821: Jules Angles (1778 - 1828)
- December 20th 1821 - January 6th 1828: Guy Delavau (1788 - 1874)
- January 17th 1828 - August 13rd 1829: Louis-Maurice Debelleyme (1787 - 1862)
- August 13rd 1829 - July 30th 1830: Claude Mangin (1786 - 1835)
- July 30th 1830 - 1830: Nicolas Bavoux (1774 - 1848)
- 1830 - November 7th 1830: Amédée Girod of Ain (1781 - 1847)
- November 7th 1830 - December 26th 1830: Achilles Libéral Treilhard (1785 - 1855)
- December 26th 1830 - February 26th 1831: Jean-Jacques Baude (1792 - 1862)
- February 26th 1831 - September 17th 1831: Alexandre-François Vivien (1799 - 1854)
- September 17th 1831 - October 15th 1831: Sebastien Louis Saulnier (1790 - 1835)
- October 15th 1831 - September 10th 1836: Henri Gisquet (1792 - 1866)
- September 10th 1836 - February 24th 1848: Gabriel Delessert (1786 - 1858)
- October 27th 1851 - December 2nd 1851: Emile de Maupas (1818 - 1888)
- July 11th 1893 - October 1897: Louis Lépine (1846 - 1933)
- June 1899 - March 29th 1913: Louis Lépine (1846 - 1933)
- 1927 - February 3rd 1934: Jean Chiappe (1878 - 1940)
- August 19th 1944 - March 19th 1947: Charles Luizet (1903 - 1947)
- March 20th 1947 - July 8th 1947: Armand Ziwès (1887 - 1962) # July 9th 1947 - April 11th 1951: Roger Léonard (1898 - 1987)
- April 12th 1951 - July 12th 1954: Jean Baylot (1897 - 1976)
- July 13rd 1954 - November 11th 1955: Andre-Louis Dubois (1903 -)
- November 12th 1955 - December 1957: Roger Génébrier (1901 -)
- December 1957 - March 14th 1958: Andre Lahillonne (1902 -)
- March 15th 1958 - December 26th 1966: Maurice Papon (1910 - 2007)
- December 27th 1966 - April 12th 1971: Maurice Grimaud (1913 -)
- April 13rd 1971 - July 1st 1973: Jacques Lenoir (1918 -)
- July 2nd 1973 - May 2nd 1976: Jean Paolini (1921 -)
- May 3rd 1976 - August 7th 1981: Pierre Somveille (1921 -)
- August 8th 1981 - June 8th 1983: Jean Périer (prefect) (1925 -)
- June 9th 1983 - July 16th 1986: Guy Fougier (1932 -)
- July 17th 1986 - August 15th 1988: Jean Paolini (-)
- August 16th 1988 - April 20th 1993: Pierre Verbrugghe (1929 -)
- April 21st 1993 - April 8th 2001: Philippe Massoni (1936 -)
- April 9th 2001 - December 5th 2004: Jean-Paul Proust (1940 -)
- December 6th 2004 - June 11th 2007: Pierre Mutz (1942 -)
- June 11th 2007: Michel Gaudin, current prefect of police.
- Prefect of Paris, with a section on the prefect of police.
- To know the Police headquarter: presentation on the official site.
- Police headquarter at the XIXe century.
|Random links:||William James Glackens | Little Persia | Sixth College | Blanca armed | Gray Grolleau | CHMI-TV|