GeographyThe city is located at forty kilometer in the north of Orleans and eighty kilometers in the south of Paris, between Beauce and Gâtinais, in the valley of the the Essonne.
HistoryIt is initially a Gallic village (from where it draws its name), then Roman.
During the eighth war of religion, the city is taken by both Henri (the king of France Henri III and Henri de Navarre) in 1589.
Of azure, with three thistles rising and broken into leaf of gold, two and one; with the chief of azure charged with a flower of gold lily| Malta-Brown |illustrated France (1882)
- Two branches of industry prevail: the agro-alimentary one and pharmacy.
- Antenna of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Loiret.
- the Pithiviers , cake of puff pastry lined to the almond paste. There exists also a frozen version (without puff pastry) called " Pithiviers melting " decorated with candied fruits;
- the Gingerbread;
- the Tart with the cream of Pithiviers;
- the Bondaroy with the hay, cheese of the area of Pithiviers.
- the pie of larks
- Lubin Baugin (1854 - 1929), painter, died with Pithiviers and of which an important part of work is with the museum of this city;
- Juliette Dodu, heroin of the War of 1870;
- Henri Louis Duhamel of the Heap, naturalist born the July 20th 1700;
- Siméon Denis Poisson, mathematician born the June 21st 1781.
- Steve Marlet, Football or, player of the Football Southern Lorient-Brittany Club, was born there in 1974.
Tourist monuments and places
- Church Saint-Solomon-Saint Gregoire;
- Castle of Bellecour, the 17th century;
- Museum of transport, including/understanding several locomotive with vapor, vestiges of the line Pithiviers- Toury (1892 - 1964), whose short section remains operational.
- municipal Museum
- Theater of the Keep (of XIXe, entirely renovated in 2005)
- Collegial Saint-Georges (XIe)
Places of worship
- inaugurated Mosque the May 19th 2006 and being able to contain nearly 700 people.
- Church Saint Solomon-Saint Gregoire
Tally of life
- flowered City: 2 flowers allotted by the National council of the Cities and Flowered Villages of France to the Contest of the cities and flowered villages.
- municipal Site
|Random links:||296 | PostgreSQL | Water pollution by the plant health products | Worms (city) | Villiers-the-pre | Adrian Smith (basketball) | Fièvre|