HistoryThe 203, presented in 1948, was the first “model of post-war period” of Peugeot and was a remarkable popular success. It was the first Peugeot monoshell but the essential innovation was its four-cylinder motor “super-square” (75x73mm) with wet liners and hemispherical cylinder heads. It developed 45 ch with 4500 t/mn then 49 ch in the last series.
The other innovations, for the time, were the rack-and-pinion steering, the back suspension with helical springs and a front suspension with independent wheels. These choices were included in the following model, the 403 and starting from 1956, the 203 division with it more and more of parts.
Approximately: 700000 Peugeot 203 were produced of 1949 to 1960.
In 1952 the small rear window is increased and of the deflectors are installed at the front doors.
In 1956 the arrows of direction embedded in the panels of custode are replaced by indicators.
In 1959 the sculpture of lion on the cap disappears because of the regulation in connection with the projecting members.
Sporting successesIt is with this model, in general prepared by private crews, that Peugeot started long series of success in rallys and raids of endurance.
One can quote the raid Paris it Cape covered in 17 days, in 1953, by André Mercier and Charles de Cortanze and the rally Redex Round Australia, where, the same year, twelve the 203 committed ones finished brilliantly and made in Peugeot, in Australia, a durable fame.
|Random links:||Claude Verdan | Pierre Lacaze | Roger Donaldson | Sergei Dragunov | Worldwide association of the zoos and the aquariums | David_McFadden|