See also: Pavia (homonymy)
Pavia ( Pavia in Italian) is a Italian city located, in the Plaine of Po, on banks of the Tessin close to its confluence with the Po. This city has a rich person historical heritage, cultural and religious (tombs of Saint Augustin and Boèce) and was the site of the battle where Charles-Quint overcame in 1525.
City in the ancient beginnings it offers cultural and tourist aspects diversified. One can in particular visit the museum located in the Castle Vinsconteo, San Pietro in Sky of Oro, Pinacoteca Malaspina, Duomo, San Michele, San Teodoro and the famous Ponte bridge covered on Tessin, or Palazzo Bottigella.
Civil and military historyPavia was probably rested by the Romans, who gave him the still visible structure today (in the shape of military camp); it bore initially the name of its river, Ticinum . It was at 3rd and the 4th century a monetary Atelier of the Roman Empire.
Conquered by Lombards into 572, it becomes the capital of the kingdom of Lombardy and took the name of Papia . In 774, it is reconquered by Charlemagne. It is in Pavia, in the church Saint-Michel-Major, which were crowned the kings of Italy.
Pavia is the seat of one of oldest universities of Europe, founded in 1361. There were already in Pavia a school of right (founded by Lanfranc, died in 1089) and even a former center of studies, tonic with 825. The current building of the University goes back to 1490. In the library, one preserves ashes of Christophe Colomb, which studied in Pavia. With the Middle Ages, the city lost its political importance then and ends up being annexed, in 1360, with the Duchy of Milan.
May 13rd, 1796, the city was taken and put at bag by the French of the Armée with Italy.
During the 18th century and until the medium of 19th, Pavia was under the Spanish domination, Austrian Frenchwoman then. In 1859, it was incorporated in the Kingdom of Sardinia (future Kingdom of Italy), at the same time as the remainder of Lombardy.
Until 1872, the city was surrounded by fortifications. They were transformed into public gardens then, since 1901, destroyed to leave the place to a ring road.
History and religious heritagePavia east one of the big steps of the Via Francigena, way of pilgrimage which carries out to Rome.
The Dome of Pavia has an octagonal plan. It was built as from 1488 and was completed in 1898 only. It shelters the skin of saint Siro, first bishop of Pavia (IIe S.).
The church Saint-Pierre-with-Sky-with gold, founded at the beginning of the Life S., was rebuilt in 1132. It shelters the tomb of saint Augustin d' Hippone, as well as the remainders of the king lombard Liutprand (death in 744), who had brought here from Sardinia the relics of Augustin saint. In this church is also fall it from Boèce.
The church Saint-Michel-Major, built at the time of Lombards, set fire to in 1004, was rebuilt and completed in 1155.
To approximately 8 km in the north of Pavia is famous chartreuse of Pavia the, founded one in 1396.
Communes borderingBorgarello, Carbonara Al Ticino, Certosa di Pavia, Cleaned Carpignano, Marcignago, San Genesio ED Uniti, San Martino Siccomario, Sant' Alessio idiot Vialone, Torre d' Isola, Travacò Siccomario, Valle Salimbene
- List of the Italian cities of more than 25.000 inhabitants
|Random links:||Libro de Jeremiah | XVIIIe front century J. - C. | Device of ventilation “JET” | Lions of Panshir | Differential operator | Cut CIF 2007 | Nuenen,_en_Nederwetten_de_Gerwen|