Paul-Emile Victor , called PEV (June 28th 1907 with Geneva - March 7th 1995 with Bora-Bora) is famous a polar Explorateur, Scientifique, Ethnologue, writer French, founder and owner of the French polar Expéditions during 29 years.
Youth and beginnings of career (1907-1934)1907 the June 28th Paul-Emile Victor is born with Geneva in Suisse. Wire of Eric and Laure Victor, resulting from an easy medium of Austrian origin .
1919 at the 12 years age, after the First World War, his/her parents move with Lons-the-Salt maker in Franche-Comté where his/her father creates a new factory of pipes, to which will be added pens later: “the Victor establishments”.
Very young person, Paul-Emile takes refuge in the attic of the family home where it is plunged in a collection of books and reviews, posters and accounts of Aventure S, Exploration and Ethnologie, which wakes up in him dreams and the passion of the polar voyages and Polynesian.
1925 It obtains a baccalaureat maths-philosophy then continues a formation of Engineer of the central École of Lyon which it leaves at the end of the third year without passing his diploma, to pass and make a success of entrance the examination of the sea National school of transport of Marseilles that it integrates as raises officer then it carries out his Military service like lieutenant Aspirant in the National marine. These two experiments disappoint it navy of which it had a rêveuse idea more….
1931 it obtains a pilot's license of plane.
The first forwardings in Greenland (1934-1939)
In 1934 following a decisive meeting with famous and very media ordering and Exploring polar French Jean-Baptiste Charcot, it organizes its first polar forwarding with the Musée of Ethnography of Trocadéro of Paris and the director of this museum, Paul Rivet with which it embarks on the Pourquoi-Pas? of famous ordering. It is made unload with three companions, the Anthropologue Robert Gessain, the Géologue Michel Perez and the Cinéaste Fred Matter on the east coast of the Greenland for its first polar forwarding at the Eskimos inuits of the town of Ammassalik during one year.
1935 on its return in France, extremely of sound will have and of its exceptional direction of the communication, it acquires success and media notoriety thanks to many conferences and articles in various reviews on its adventures.
1936 it sets out again with the Greenland where it carries out the exploit to cross it in sledges to dogs, of west in is, with its companions Robert Gessain, Michel Perez and the Dane Eigil Knuth. Arrived at the east, there remain fourteen months alone with Kangerlussuatsiaq within a family Inuits “like a eskimo among the eskimo”. Venture during which it has a connection with Doumidia, a young person inuit, about which it quickly speaks perfectly the dialect Greenland board and of which it studies the life of the tribe.
With its return in France, new great media and scientific success thanks to its many conferences and various press articles and of review, and it writes for the Museum of the Man the results of his ethnological study , its many notes and drawings on the Greenlandic traditional culture entirely organized around the Phoque.
1938 with Michel Perez and the commander Flotard (armed with the Alps), it carries out a transalpine Raid Nice/Chamonix in sledges with dogs to show, successfully, that the polar techniques can advantageously mitigate the problems of transport of men and material in the event of rigorous winter.
Pilot of the US Air Force (1941-1946)1939 at the time of the declaration of the Second world war, it is mobilized in the French marine based with Stockholm in Sweden, it is at the same time intelligence agent and liaison officer with the allied Finland until the Armistice of 1940. It leaves the France with the autumn 1940 and remains with the Morocco then in Martinique within the ethnological framework of missions S, and arrives at the the United States in July 1941.
1941 it engages in the US Air Force with the the United States as lieutenant instructor pilot and Parachutiste. He creates and becomes commander of one of the escadrilles “Recherche and rescue” of rescue of pilots lost in polar medium for the Alaska, the Canada and the Greenland and for this reason obtains double French nationality and American.
Chief of the French polar Forwardings (1947-1976)1947 the February 28th, after 13 years of exploration and ethnology, Paul-Emile Victor is directed in the direction of the scientific exhibitions by creating the French Polar Expéditions - EPF - Missions Paul-Emile Victor thanks to his fantastic charisma, with its gift for the public relations and with the support inter alia Médias, Gouvernement and Député and Ministre André Philip.
Of 1947 with 1976, Paul-Emile Victor directs French polar Forwardings. During these 29 years, 150 forwardings are carried out, seventeen of them that he lives and directs personally in Ad3elie coast in the Antarctic and fourteen to the Greenland in Arctique with, inter alia, the Caméraman Samivel.
He is also chief of the international glaciologic Expédition in Greenland (EGIG), president of the Scientific Committee one Antarctic Research (SCAR), president of French the Antarctic Committee for the international geophysical Année (ACTED).
1956 First voyage of Paul-Emile Victor in Ad3elie coast and construction 3 years later of the Base the Antarctic Dumont d' Urville and of the Base Charcot 320 km towards the interior of the Antarctic continent. To progress on the glacial zones it makes manufacture via Someto of the special caterpillars drawn by Mr. Cousin.
1962 starting from this date, it organizes multiple activities on the defense of the man and his environment, and becomes in 1968, acting general of the Fondation for the Safeguard of Nature, created by Louis Armand.
1965 on March 1st, it marries in second weddings Colette Faure, an airline hostess who lives in a Péniche close to his, moored on the the Seine with Paris, of which it has a son: Teva, born the September 30th 1971 (after having made studies with the the United States, Téva presents and Co-carries out emissions of documentary Télévision on the discovery of the natural landscapes of the world and their inhabitants on France 3 and the fifth and a series of documentary on the French Polynésie traditional)
In 1974, PEV creates the group Paul-Emile Victor for the defense of the man and of its environment with in particular, Alain Bombard, Jacques-Yves Cousteau, Haroun Tazieff, Louis Leprince-Ringuet, the professor Jacques Debat, Jacqueline Auriol…
Reprocess in Polynesia (1976-1995)In 1977 at 70 years, it carries out its second dream of teenager with his wife Colette, they are installed on their virgin Motu in French Polynésie, the Motu Tane (“the island of the man” in language tahitienne) where it passes his retirement to write his memories, of the articles… while still playing at the time of its enormous will have media in various causes and by receiving the gotha scientific planet gear of passage in its paradisiac island.
1989 creation and inauguration of the “polar Museum Paul-Emile Victor” with Prémanon, close of Russet-red the to 30 km of Saint-Claude in the the Jura inhabitant of Franche-Comté of his childhood where it accomplishes many stays when it is in France. This museum becomes in 1998 the “Center polar Paul-Emile Victor”.
1995 the March 7th, it disappears on its island from Bora-Bora at the 88 years age and, according to its last wills, is immersed in open sea with the homages of the National marine on board BATRAL (Building of Leger Transport) Dumont d' Urville.
Paul-Emile Victor is the author of forty works scientific, technical, of popularization and adventures, and very many reviews and articles. He obtains the price of the French Academy in 1973 for the whole of his literary work, the Grand-Croix of the Legion of honor and titrates it Satrape of the College of 'Pataphysique.
It is not what we are who prevents us from carrying out our dreams; it is what we believe that we are not.
- The adventure is a frame of mind. It is in the heart of the man. The adventure, it is to be able to refuse its destiny, to be ready to leave constantly, still conceive and always new projects, not to be sitted, it is in a word food its life and to build it.
- Nostalgia, it is something which nibbles you, which reduces you, it is something which is based on the past, one does not live in the past and people who live in the past as I say are of the old men. One saw tomorrow, after tomorrow, or for in 50 years, me I live for in 500 years.
- There is a thing of which I am absolutely certain, it is that if one is caught with serious, one cannot do serious work. To do serious work, one should not begin with the serious one, because it is the only means of having the possibility of making a self-criticism. And if one is caught with the serious one, one does not make self-criticism.
- The old adventurers do not die, they disappear, they disappear…
- The only thing which one is sure failure, it is that which one does not try.
- We did not have for them any hatred. They made trade of wolves as we made trade of men. They were creatures of God. Like us. They had been born predatory. Like the man. But they had remained predatory, whereas the man had become destroying.
Works written by Paul-Emile Victor
- 1938 Boreal - account
- 1939 Ice-barrier - account
- 1939 Plays of string at Lappish north Western , Stockholm - scientific publication, ethnography
- 1940 Plays of string of the eskimos of Angmagssalik , Copenhagen - scientific publication, ethnography
- 1941 pre-Caribbean Pottery in Martinique - scientific publication, ethnography
- 1942 Whodunnit survivol , US Air Force - technical publication
- 1942 Whodunnit technics , US Air Force - technical publication
- 1947 Habits and techniques of the white track - ethnography
- 1948 Apoutsiak, the small snowflake - album for Technical children
- 1949 ; drive out, trappings, fishing, to survive in the polar regions
- 1949 Aventure eskimo
- 1951 Poèmes eskimo - Seghers
- 1951 Greenland - Arthaud
- 1953 the Great hunger - Julliard - ethnographic account
- 1953 Glaciology off the Greenland ice-course , Georgetown University the USA - glaciology
- 1956 polar Explorations - New bookstore of France
- 1958 South pole - Hatchet
- 1958 Progrès of the polar techniques - Nathan
- 1960 Adventures with the poles - Ima
- 1960 the Ices - Larousse
- 1961 the Milky Way - Julliard
- 1962 Antarctic Biology and logistics - EPF
- 1962 the Man with the conquest of the poles - Plon - history
- 1963 North pole - Hatchet
- 1963 With the attack of the poles - RST
- 1963 Adventures with the four corners of the world - Ima
- 1963 Pilot of Ad3elie coast - EPF
- 1966 Tahiti - Hatchet
- 1967 North pole - South pole - history geography
- 1968 On the white track - Laffont
- 1971 polar Grounds, tragic grounds - Plon - historical account
- 1972 Eskimos, nomads of the ices - Hatchet - ethnological account
- 1973 Smoke Adaptation
- 1974 Huskies - Flammarion - account and technical
- 1974 extraordinary history of the poles - Nathan - geography, natural history
- 1975 My polar adventures - G. P. Paris
- 1975 S.eau.S - ecology
- 1975 Life of the eskimos - Nathan - ethnographic account
- 1976 With the attack of the north pole - Gallimard - account
- 1977 From Greenland in Tahiti - Nathan
- 1977 the Survivors of Greenland - Laffont - historical account
- 1978 Let us protect water - Nathan - ecology
- 1979 To the neck - and how to leave it - Nathan - ecology
- 1980 the Wolves , with Jean Larivière - Nathan - zoological account
- 1981 the Attic - Stock - autobiography
- 1982 Blizzards, adventures per less 50° - Beech - historical account
- 1982 Doumidia , Grasset - autobiographical and ethnological account
- 1983 Poles and their secrecies - Nathan - geography for the young people
- 1987 the Igloo - Stock - autobiography ethnology
- 1988 Eskimo - Stock - album ethnographic photographs of Ammassalik 1934-1937
- 1989 Age of the seal , with Joelle Robert-Lamblin, volume 1
- 1990 Empire of the wolves - with Jean Larivière - zoological account
- 1991 the First forwardings in Greenland - Nathan
- 1991 Songs of Ammassalik , with Catherine Enel and Élisa Maqe - ethnography
- 1992 Memories of humanistic a - Agep editions - autobiography
- 1992 Planet the Antarctic , with Jean-Christophe Victor - Robert Laffont - geopolitics
- 1993 Age of the seal , with Joelle Robert-Lamblin, volume 2
- 1993 Arctic Dogs - Arthaud - account zoological
- 1995 Ah! how the world is beautiful! - poems inuit put in French worms by Jean Lescure - Proverb
- 1995 Nanouk the eskimo
- 1995 Dialogs with a voice - Laffont
- 2005 Box autobiographical Works - 3 books - Transboréal
- 2005 Poems eskimo - Seghers Youth
- 2005 Genius of the wolves - Editions of Monza
- 2006 Paul-Emile Victor, voyage (S) of humanistic a - drawings, sketch, paintings - Ouest-France
- 2007 Good-bye the Antarctic , republication with update Antarctic Planet - Robert Laffont
Baptized establishments Paul Emile Victor
- Sown in April the Paul-Emile-Victor vocational school of in Maine-et-Loire (49)
- the general high school and professional Paul-Emile-Victor of Osny in the Val-d'Oise (95)
- the general-purpose college Paul-Emile-Victor of Champagnole in the the Jura (39).
Catalog of films
- Four of Greenland , film of the forwarding of 1936 (30 '), realized by Fred Matter
- In the steps of Paul-Emile Victor, the polar adventure , documentary film (52 '), realized by Stephan Dugast.
- Jean-Christophe Victor
- French polar Forwardings (1947-1992)
- French polar Institute - Paul Emile Victor (since 1992)
- Jean-Baptiste Charcot - Samivel - Marcel Ichac
- Official site of Paul-Emile Victor
- Center Paul-Emile Victor in Premanon (the Jura)
- polar Institute French Paul-Emile Victor
- Room of host of Teva and Vanessa on the private atoll of Paul-Emile Victor in Bora Bora
- Paul-Emile Victor, biography of a polar explorer per Thierry Baker, thesis of the National school of the charters, 2001
- In the steps of Paul-Emile Victor Forwardings in Eastern Greenland carried out by the journalist-scenario writer Stephan Dugast and the photographer Xavier Desmier, accompanied by Stephan Victor, wire of the polar explorer, 2007
|Random links:||HAL91 | Certification | Datça | Rising integralist | Sport hall Jauréguiberry | Surrey|