HistoryPortel means by deteriorations successive " small the port". In the beginning, Portel is a hamlet of the commune of Outreau. It becomes a commune independent on June 13rd, 1856 by imperial decree of Napoleon III. One has discovered with XIXè century, with center of village (Hamel Bridge) in bed of TIHEN (small brook which crosses the commune), of many cut flints which attests very old occupation of the site as well as a Gallo-Roman cemetery with Châtillon. Its population was agricultural in the beginning. It developed very quickly during the XIXè century with the fishing and the proximity of the port of Boulogne-sur-Mer. The sailors of Portel were as numerous as those of Boulogne before the war of 14-18. In 1841, two of them, are on the BEAUTIFUL HEN, which brings back ashes of NAPOLEON 1st in France.
Gabriel Rémy Fourcroy (1822-1905) was elected the first Mayor of the commune, and exerted 1856 with 1870. Césaire Gournay, for its part exerted the functions of municipal municipal official during 23 years.
At the time of the second world war, September 8th and 9th 1943, sudden Portel, within the framework of an operation of diversion of the allies eager to make accept the possibility of an unloading on the English Channel, of the bombardments which destroyed nearly 90% of the dwellings and made more than 500 dead. August 12th, 1945, the De Gaulle General went to the Release on his ruins. The city accepted the Military Cross with money star for its sacrifice.
Rebuilt after war, Portel became again a attended station.
Places and monumentsThe city preserves the vestiges of many fortifications of which:
- the Fort of the Clash (built in 1803/1805 on order of Napoleon Bonaparte) is a fort at sea which was to ensure the protection of the wearing of Boulogne and the preparations of the project of descent in England (camp of Boulogne).
- the extremely of Alprech , close to the Headlight of Portel or the same name, is a coastal battery of type Séré de Rivières (work casemate of 1883).
- the extremely of Half-compartments , built in 1883 is one of the four coastal batteries of type Séré de Rivières which were to ensure the defense of the deep water port of Boulogne on Mer (Alprech, Couppes, Odre and the Crib).
- the sand beach end of Portel, is one of most beautiful of the coast of Opal. It is bordered in the south of a small dam called " Epi" built between 1867 and 1870, and dimensioned northern, by the large dam " Carnot" (of the name of a former President of the French Republic), where one finds 4 wind mills of 750 kw each one. The presence of these 2 dams and the zone of calm thus created supported the fine sand contribution from which the estivants profit today. The beach of Portel is one of the rare beaches of the Côte of Opal whose stranding currently increases (approximately of 6 meters since the years 1900).
Personalities related to the commune
- Alexis Coppin known as " MAJOR" (1778-1864) 1st Portelois to receive the legion of honor given by Napoleon the 1st on August 18th, 1805 to Boulogne on Sea.
- Monseigneur Joseph Bourgain (1872-1925) Bishop of Archelais (China), crowned on November 10th, 1918
- Monseigneur Remy Leprêtre (1878-1961) Archbishop of Rhusium, apostolic Delegate in Syria, crowned on May 12th, 1936
- Alfred Desenclos (1912-1971) French Type-setter born in Portel. Pianist of formation. Grand Prix of Rome 1942, Grand Prix of the town of Paris 1954.
- Lucien Leduc (1918-2004) was a football player then international trainer.
- Festival of the Magic (January)
- Ravelled carnavalesque (February, Sunday before Fatty Tuesday)
- Ducasse - Large Fair with the horse-gears lasting 2semaines. (1st Sunday of May)
- Festiv' be (animations July-August)
- Festival of the Mussel (July)
- Festival of Welsh (August)
- Festival of the tart porteloise (November)
- Ravelled guénels (December)
- Friendly the Flag, Sports association pluri disciplines.
- ESSM Portel (Basketball)
- Historical Circle Portelois - Town hall of Portel 62480
- Association of Safeguard of the Fort of the Clash and the Portelois Inheritance - Town hall Portel * Genealogy - Company Genealogical of the Coast of Opal House of Associations Street Carnot Portel 62480
- Common of the Pas-de-Calais
|Random links:||Menneville (Aisne) | Radome | Cambiasca | Epigraph (mathematics) | Citroen B2|