Park of Cambridge
The station of Cambridge serves the town of Cambridge to the the United Kingdom. The current building was built in 1844 and is to approximately 2 km of the center town what, at the time, located it well apart from the city. There exist several legends to explain this decision:
- the reponsables of the Université of Cambridge saw the arrival of the line ferriviaire which connects Cambridge to London like a source of potential distraction for their students. They would thus have made pressure so that the station soti built further possible from the downtown area and its classrooms and laboratories to dissuade them from an escapade in the British capital.
A reason much more rational is due to the geological nature of the grounds of Cambridge and to the avant-gardist spirit of the engineers who built the station. Those had provided that the town of Cambridge would grow and would extend in the years to come. Construction apart from the city thus made it possible to avoid destroying dwellings and the station, with the passing of years, was actually joined by the agglomeration.
Several rail link serve this station:
- the West Anglia Hand Line in direction of the south towards the Station of Liverpool Street to London
- the Fen Line in direction of north towards King' S Lynn
- the King' S Cross-country race Line, in direction of the south and according to an alternate road, towards the Station of King' S Cross-country race via Hitchin
All these connections are electrified in 25 Kv AC but there exists another line not electrified towards Ipswich.
With nearly 365 meters length, one often claims that the station platform of Cambridge east among longest of the United Kingdom but this title returns to the station platform of Gloucester.
|Random links:||Valentine Haüy | Louis-Auguste Camus de Richemont | Castlerea | Léonard Leymarie | Charles Balthazar Julien Fevret de Saint-Memin | Comte_d'Oxford_et_d'Asquith|