At the beginning, there was an island (Testerep) in front of the Flemish coast, and Ostend was the Eastern village ( Oost means is Dutch ; ende is an old form of einde , end, end). At the other end, there was Westende. Between the two villages, there was Middelkerke (" middel" mean " milieu" in Dutch and " kerk" mean " église" , that is to say " church with the milieu" of the two villages). Ostend is a port city and cosmopolitan. It is called the “queen of the beaches” or the “British city” by the English.
In 1445, Philippe the Good allowed the construction of the port Ostend.
In 1722, Charles VI founded the “Company of Ostend there”. This one specialized in the importation of spices and rare food products coming from the Far East.
In 1850, the seaside resort is the privileged place where the European aristocracy meets.
Ostend is the residence of summer of the king Léopold II. The king made besides much for the city.
In 1905, in Ostend, of important work is undertaken of which the church St Pierre and Paul, the theater, the building of the Post office, the bridge Count de Smet de Naeyer and royal Galleries.
Not to miss
The Mercator is a Trois-mâts. It was a Navire-école. This ship in particular brought back the body of the Père Damien.
Today, the Mercator, preserved in its country of origin, is a nautical museum which shelters a series of exotic objects brought back of cruisings.
The casino of OstendThe largest casino of Belgium
The tower Saint-Pierre or Peperbusse
The Raversijde field
The Raversijde field is divided into three parts.
Walraversijde : It is an archeological site. It is acted in fact of a medieval village going back to 1465. Reconstitutions, vestiges there are found.
Memoriaal Prins Karel : It is the property in which the prince Charles lived as from 1950. One finds there his house, his collections and his paintings. In the Flemish room, one recalls the life of prince Charles in a biographical exposure.
Atlantikwall : It is a coastal fortification of both World wars. It is an infrastructure of more than 60 constructions and 2 kilometers undergrounds
The residence of James Ensor
See also: James Ensor
The residence of the painter was restored in museum. In his living room-workshop of origin, one finds many objects and pieces of furniture which appear in its tables.
- floral Clock
- Hippodrome Wellington
- Lange Nelle
- Museum of Modern art of Ostend (PMMK).
TransportOstend has an airport (code AITA: OST).
the Admiral Van Dyck
- James Ensor, painter
- Leon Spilliaert, Painter
- Henri Storck, scenario writer and founder of the royal Cineclub of Belgium
- Lilian Baels, second wife of Léopold III
- Arno, Flemish singer
- Kamagurka, caricaturist
In 1935, appears the first cabins or installation of beach in Ostend.
- Between 1981 and 1982 the American singer of drunk, Marvin Gaye remained there in order to withdraw stress and turbulences of its life of star. He produced the album Midnight Coils there with his hit Sexual Healing .
- the Clip video of Sexual Healing was turned to the royal Casino of Ostend
- Jean-Roger Caussimon and Léo Ferré sang " As in Ostende"
- the Cartoon the Ball of the dead rat occurs to Ostend
- the films Armaguedon with Alain Delon, the red Lips with Delphine Seyrig (scenes with the hotel of the Thermal baths), Camping Cosmos with Lolo Ferrari and Arno (singer) (scene with the Hippodrome Wellington) and Place Vendôme (film) with Catherine Deneuve (dunes) are held in Ostend.
- During its stay in Ostend in 1886-1887, Mrs Blavatsky wrote part of its Secret Doctrine .
- Tram of the Belgian side
- List of the Belgian seaside resorts
Ostend - official site
- Port off Ostend
- Ostend with the Anchor
|Random links:||Ivan Boldirev | Alpine laburnum B | Homogeneous polynomial | Aimery IX of Thouars | County of Mercer (North Dakota) | Colline_du_sud,_New_York|