OpenSolaris is a project of free Operating system financed by Sun Microsystems. It is initially based on a piece of the source code of Solaris of which it preserves the core, the support network, the libraries and the orders.
PrincipleThe basic principle is to join together a community of Sun developers and non-Sun in order to create and test tools, which will be implemented in the future versions of Solaris. Examples of projects:
- Solaris WiFi
- SFW Nevada (for Solaris 11)
CriticalThe license used is CDDL 1.0, near to MPL. Although incompatible with the LPG, this license is free within the meaning of FSF and is recognized by OSI. Discussions always animate the community and FSF to decide so yes or not, one can regard the operating system as a free software.
For the curious usersSolaris Express train : It is about the version available for the users, in order to test very last implemented technologies, but which do not make yet parts of the source code provided to the OpenSolaris project. Available every month, free in binary version.
For the developersSolaris Express train Community Release : It is a question of the version available for the developers in order to test very last technologies which do not make parts of OpenSolaris yet. They can compile the source code of OpenSolaris to have their own versions. Code name Nevada , this version is available every two weeks.
A base for allOpenSolaris : It is about the base for the development of Solaris. Currently, that consists of several projects of consolidation of the system. One can right now note the implemented projects, and to see which will be the next ones with being added via the roadmap of the official site. It is not yet possible with this base to start (with the data-processing direction of the Bootstrap term) system whole since compilation, therefore developers start with to download distributions (such as Solaris Express Nevada or NexentaOS and BeleniX which are live-cds) and to compile then to install the OpenSolaris base.
Why open Solaris with the free one?It acts of the reasons such as they are provided by the official site, and not a call to the controversy among the members of free the ;
- a Community development model is favorable to collaboration between the Sun company, the Solaris developers, and the community of users;
- Beaucoup of users of the operating system Solaris expressed an interest for the movement of the open source;
- That allows Sun and its partners to take part in more projects requiring the use of the open source;
- the open source creates a platform for a whole new generation of innovation while making it possible the developers to benefit from the technologies implemented within the Solaris system;
- That opens opportunities on new markets for the Sun company: for example, the startups can develop a product around OpenSolaris.
Necessary minimum system
- Nexenta OS GNU/Solaris
- French OpenSolaris To use French-speaking Group mailing list
- Solaris Express train OS
- BeleniX OS
- Solaris-Fr French-speaking Site of documentation dedicated to Solaris
- GUSES User's association of the Operating system Solaris
- SunWizard.NET French-speaking Site dedicated to the amateurs of work stations and waiters Unix
|Random links:||Alphonso Wood | Monstera | Mario Schleindl | Bengt Eriksson | Choquequirao | Lorazepam|